Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2

Highlighted
Contributor

Genie 2

I am trying to connect to my wifi wirelessly on my Genie 2. My wifi password has a comma in it. When I get to the password screen and I go to the SYM (Symbols) screen, there is no "comma" among the symbols?! It appears there is only 1 SYM (Symbols) screen.  What can I do to get connected to wifi?

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by svf0488
‎01-24-2018 8:26 PM

Re: Genie 2

Change the password. Some symbols in passwords are not supported by Directv equipment.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Contributor

Thank you!! 

Message 3 of 11
Tutor

Might there be an ETA on any of the host of known issues with the Genie 2:

1. New interface delay and skip 
  2. Still / freeze frame almost hourly
  3. Loss of audio while using interface functions, including recordings (changing the channel corrects the problem)
  4. Unresponsive remote issues (with the new interface, with recordings or simply changing the channel)
  5. Pixelation (quite often)
  6. Record Series - requested channel replaced with All Channels default (whether via the Guide, Info, or All Season interface)

Please advise.

Message 4 of 11
Contributor

Tap the dash on remote, until it gets to the comma, no need to change your PW.

Message 5 of 11
Tutor

Well, I've learned that with the acquisition, the Genie 2 had already been in development and/or released.  It is now going to be replaced with new technology.  I understand that it's not cost effective to upgrade an older technology if something new will be released soon.  I've since gone back to the older DVR and have reduced the issues by half or more.  DTV is allowing those with similar issues (as my list above) to downgrade at no extra charge.  I'm excited to learn more about the dish-less technology and it's progress.  

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

Directv cannot be dish-less as it is service by satellite, so a receiving dish is required to get the service.

Separately there is a internet streaming service called DirectvNOW. The two services do not interact with each other. DirectvNOW launched December 2016 so is still fairly new.

The Genie-2 being an additional box not connected to a TV, forbids other HDDVRs only allowing Clients which puts a hard cap on the 7 tuners, if ever it doesn't work all TVs go down, no PiP feature, and can't even have one regular box for the occasional RV or such use, makes this a poor system. If Directv were to release new HDDVRs that are SWM only like the Genie system and could work with the Genie-2, then it might be an ok system (provided bugs fixed of course). But it may go the way of the Genie LIte (H44) and just be a new idea that didn't pan out and so they move on. We shall see.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 11
Contributor

Here’s the only intelligent remedy - why just give up and have to reset  7 other devices? THANKS 👏😅

Message 8 of 11

What do you mean by "reset 7 other devices"?  Is there a way to reset the equipment to "fix" it?

I am having the freezing, loss of audio and the TOTAL loss of ability to record since the "upgrade" and it's been 2 weeks so far with no hope of ever getting it fixed.  I was going to wait until I found all of these problems have been going on for months.  I refuse to continue to pay $136 + a month for a service I don't receive.  I'm getting hooked on Roku and Netflix while AT&T is fiddling around.   

Does anyone know of any news of anybody working on all these problems?

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

@SCSteve wrote:

Here’s the only intelligent remedy - why just give up and have to reset  7 other devices? THANKS 👏😅

Huh? What are you talking about resulting in resetting 7 other devices?

If you are having a technical issue then start your own thread with the specifics (model numbers of equipment, symptoms, any error messages, etc).

Message 10 of 11
Contributor

I set up my Genie remote for RF ops and now it talks to my Samsung TV but not the Direct TV genie. I seem to get access to DIRECT TV thru the HDMI setting on the TV but the remote will not perform any functions. When I hit Guide it defaults to the TV Plus guide on the Samsung smart tV

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support