Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 issues

Genie 2 issues

Was going to upgrade to the new Genie 2 with 4K and the tech immediately came in and said don't do it.   He said the Genie 2 has too many issues and the newest one is when it updates software it can kick everything into 480i (standard) and cannot be reset back to even HD for days until upgrade again.  plus he said it loses connectivity to the wireless units and all software has to be downloaded again to connect them.  plus during that you may drop back to standard not HD.  sounds like many issues with the Genie 2.. what is your experience?  I am thinking maybe the tech did not want to go up to the dish because it was very cold out?  are these legit issues and best to wait for now?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie 2 issues

Agreed!  The HS17 Genie 2 Server is not ready for prime time.  The tech should have set you up with an HR54 Genie DVR + C61K 4K Mini Client for your 4K TV.   Or wait a while. There's hardly any 4K content yet anyway. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6

Yes true.. I did ask him for the HR54 but he did not have any and said the 4K issue was hitting those as well and changing 4K to Standard as well.  Maybe this fall??

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by wildcat444
‎02-28-2019 12:25 PM

Until or if the channels start broadcasting in 4K there will be little in 4K channels coming.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Genie 2 has been working for me with no trouble. I have 2 4k TV's and both are working just fine. Only 1 4k channel with Direct TV so far but when sports is on it, it looks great! Again, no issues with the Ver 17

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

DirecTV has 2 channels in 4K, plus some PPVs.

The Genie-2 (HS17) is certainly improved since launch, though not out of the woods yet. However for many of us it is a horrible design as only allows Clients on the account. Many of us a regular Genie and at least 2 HDDVRs provides more reliability, separate settings as desired, and 9 tuners which is more than the hard cap of 7 tuners the HS17 has.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support