Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Teacher

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Been s Directv customer for 25 yrs.  Moved and in January 2018 upgraded to a Genie 2.  WHAT A MISTAKE!!!   After over a dozen phone calls and several technician service calls I have discovered that Directv ha sold a system that was never tested and is steaming with issues.  After escalating to customer retention 3 times and as the tech stood in my kitchen ready to downgrade to a system that works (genie 1) I was told by the retention supervisor it would cost me $200.00 to downgrade my system with no way to waive a fee on a system that was fraut with issues they could not repair!  Instead of retaining me as a 25 yr customer I was told there was nothing they could do.  Pay the $200.00 to downgrade to a system that works or keep the inferior system I was sold in January 2018.  I will be finding a new service!  I’m disgusted at your lack of customer retention.  Obviously you don’t care, or you have so much business you don’t mind loosing your core customers!  I will be sharing this experience with everyone I can possibly reach!  You obviously don’t CARE!!!

Message 1 of 50
Contributor

Re: Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

I currently have six receivers with "Whole-Home DVR Service" for six TV's. The six receivers are HR21-200, HR22-100, HR21-700, HR22-100, HR24-500, and H21-200, so most are old. Two of the receivers have died in the past few months (HR21-700 and H21-200); I am concerned others will also. I spoke to Directv about an upgrade; they said I qualified for a free upgrade to Genie (plus three Genie Mini's) or Genie 2. What would be the best upgrade? Should I go with the Genie (definitely not the Genie 2) or just replace the dead receivers? We never have more than three TV's on at one time, but definitely want service available on all six. We have one 4K TV; would like 4K programming, but not mandatory. Another other info needed to make a recommendation?

Message 46 of 50
ACE - Expert

The HS17 account will not allow any other HR receivers only minis.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 50

I have one 4k tv and 3 others with HR24-500 x 2 receivers and one mini. I upgraded to Genie (HR54 and one Genie Mini) Only the 4K tv and one other TV of your choice will be on the whole home network. There is no real 4K programming. Occasionally a free baseball game in 4K. Just available movies and special events in 4K that you have to pay for. One free 4K station that displays documentary's. It costs about $200 for the upgrade . Stay away from the Genie 2.
Message 48 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Impedance1976 wrote:

I currently have six receivers with "Whole-Home DVR Service" for six TV's. The six receivers are HR21-200, HR22-100, HR21-700, HR22-100, HR24-500, and H21-200, so most are old. Two of the receivers have died in the past few months (HR21-700 and H21-200); 

Definitely do not get a Genie-2 (HS17) as that would be a HUGE downgrade as it forbids HDDVRs.

If you still plan on using all 6, I would first do a warranty replacement on the dead HR21. Just $19.95 delivery, covered if you have the optional equipment protection plan. The only regular HDDVR that still would be in stock is HR24.

Since the other that died is a non-DVR, then unless you use the Autotune feature (which DVRs do not have) I would use an upgrade to replace it with a Genie. This would get you either the 2nd or 3rd generation (HR44 or HR54) depending on what is in stock. Do NOT replace any box with a Mini Genie Client as those are just extensions of the Genie, not full receiver/HDDVRs themselves. The Genie is a 5 tuner HDDVR with a 1TB hard drive, compared to the 2 tuners and 500GB of your HDDVRs (HR21s have even smaller hard drives). Since the Genie is the most capable of your HDDVRs, suggested it ends up on whichever TV gets used the most.

The Genie upgrade will get you a more capable box. Since you already have Whole Home DVR, then there is no new charges to the monthly bill as you already have everything it needs. You would need to call to verify if you have a free upgrade available. Upgrade will come with a 24 month service agreement. Be aware regardless if warranty or upgrade, a replaced HDDVR's recordings do not transfer to a new box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Impedance1976 

There are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs). But you could choose to use the upgrade to replace the H21 and your oldest remaining HDDVR with a Genie and Mini Genie Client, specifically for 4K. You would end up with more capability then you have now and no difference in monthly cost. A 4K order guarantees the HR54 and C61K (on the 4K TV itself) as those are the only models that would be compatible for a 4K setup that works with your other boxes.

Here are the 4K requirements for reference:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 Frames per Second (FPS)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus some PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

There is no monthly charge for 4K. As it works through a Genie, which is DirecTV's Advance Whole Home HDDVR you must have HD $10, DVR $10, and Whole Home DVR $3 service (which sounds like you do already).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 50 of 50
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support