Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Teacher

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Been s Directv customer for 25 yrs.  Moved and in January 2018 upgraded to a Genie 2.  WHAT A MISTAKE!!!   After over a dozen phone calls and several technician service calls I have discovered that Directv ha sold a system that was never tested and is steaming with issues.  After escalating to customer retention 3 times and as the tech stood in my kitchen ready to downgrade to a system that works (genie 1) I was told by the retention supervisor it would cost me $200.00 to downgrade my system with no way to waive a fee on a system that was fraut with issues they could not repair!  Instead of retaining me as a 25 yr customer I was told there was nothing they could do.  Pay the $200.00 to downgrade to a system that works or keep the inferior system I was sold in January 2018.  I will be finding a new service!  I’m disgusted at your lack of customer retention.  Obviously you don’t care, or you have so much business you don’t mind loosing your core customers!  I will be sharing this experience with everyone I can possibly reach!  You obviously don’t CARE!!!

Message 1 of 50
Contributor

Re: Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Juniper,

what would you recommend we need 5 outputs going into a video distribution system all tv’s are 4K.  We also would like to rack mount the system if possible.

Message 31 of 50
Scholar

Glad I saw this thread. It has pretty much convinced me to not use DirecTV after I move to Arizona later this year. I'll probably just go with CableOne (or Dish if the former doesn't meet my needs). Seems DirecTV has gone drastically downhill after AT&T took them over (not surprising to me).

Message 32 of 50
Mentor

Is there anyone out there satisfied with their Genie-2?  Have the issues been resolved?  I have an installation scheduled (HR44 replacement) in a few days.  I can cancel up 24 (or more) hours in advance.  I only have 3 (maybe 4) TVs that need connecting.  The problem I'm having now with the HR44 is that it can't stay connected to Wi-Fi.  The DirecTV rep sold me on the Genie-2, saying that it was my only replacement option.  The refused to upgrade me to the HR54 for some reason.

Am I making a serious mistake going from an HR44 to a Genie-2?  Are their any happy Genie-2 folks out there?

Message 33 of 50
ACE - Expert

@PigletRider wrote:

Is there anyone out there satisfied with their Genie-2?  Have the issues been resolved?  I have an installation scheduled (HR44 replacement) in a few days.  I can cancel up 24 (or more) hours in advance.  I only have 3 (maybe 4) TVs that need connecting.  The problem I'm having now with the HR44 is that it can't stay connected to Wi-Fi.  The DirecTV rep sold me on the Genie-2, saying that it was my only replacement option.  The refused to upgrade me to the HR54 for some reason.

Am I making a serious mistake going from an HR44 to a Genie-2?  Are their any happy Genie-2 folks out there?

Genie-2 (HS17) is a restrictive and buggy design. Never mind the post launch issues, but it forbids other boxes from being on the account as it is a Client only system. This hard caps it at 7 tuners. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners, can have independent settings on each box (parental controls, etc.), and if Genie goes down it doesn't take other receivers with it but Clients go down as they are extensions of it. There is no monthly cost difference between HDDVR and Client, so with HDDVR you get more bang for your buck.

You cannot upgrade "like for like". The HR34, HR44, HR54 are all "Genie". However a warranty replacement would net same model or newer, but same level (Genie to Genie). A non-DVR receiver to an HDDVR or Genie is an upgrade. A HDDVR to Genie is an upgrade. So an upgrade is only if not "like for like", and of course comes with a 24 month service agreement.

Regardless if warranty replacement or upgrade, the recordings will not transfer from a replaced box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 50
ACE - Expert

What makes you think replacing an HR44 with an HR54 or HS17 will solve this problem?  You should be concentrating on the HR44 issue Do you have any other receivers and are you trying to connect more than one of them to wifi? this is the usual source of the problem, you can't have more than one connection, the other receivers need to connect "through" the HR44.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 50
Mentor

I never thought I’d be saying this.   But the Genie-2 appears to be a great product.  I’ve been using it now for about a week or so.  (It was a replacement for the HR44.).   I certainly don’t dispute any complaints about the Genie-2 outlined in this (or any other) thread.  But, FOR ME, the installation and the performance of this replacement system (Genie-2, 1 wired 4K mini, 2 wireless minis) has been nothing short of flawless thus far.  (Getting rid of those 3 bulky DVRs with those loud hard drives and cooling fans whirring away constantly, was a bonus.)

Yes... I know I’ve given up tuners (now 7 instead of 9) and if this single tower goes down, the entire system is down.  But this was the right call for me.  I’m the primary user and certainly don’t need more than 7 tuners, 100 series, and 2TB of recording space.  One major drawback for me however... I cannot restrict deletions to just a single mini.  Any mini anywhere in the house can delete programming.  That Whole-Home/HR44 feature is one I will certainly miss.

I’ve watched all kinds of programming (including the NBA playoffs) and have noticed no skipping, miss-fires, pixelations or anything.  I’ve even confirmed this from the wireless mini located in the basement, 2 floors removed from the Genie-2 itself.  I was certain that the performance would be degraded for at least this mini.  It wasn’t.  It’s responds just as fast (or faster) than the HR22 it replaced.  No issues.

I wanted to know if there were any Genie-2 folks out there that were happy.  I then located one other customer that said they had no issues and I took the “leap of faith” and upgraded in spite of all of the issues documented on this forum.  I’m certainly glad that I did.

You can count me in the “happy” Genie-2 camp and I can certainly recommend it if you can stomach reducing the capacity of your system overall and the single point of failure.

Message 36 of 50
ACE - Expert

@PigletRider 

Fair enough. Genie-2 can be an ok system for some (outside of post-launch issues).

With loud fans I would have thought either vents clogged, box overheating from wear, or just the earlier design of HR22. Personally I would have suggested a warranty replacement which would have netted a HR24. That way newer equipment, but still separate DVRs so you can restrict deletions or other options on a per box basis.

Glad it works for you, and certainly hope it continues to do so. I'm on the other side where reduction of capability (need more than 7 tuners or have conflicts) and one point of failure (don't want to interrupt what someone else is watching if a box is resetting or having a technical issue) will not work for my household.

I keep hoping that there will be a later launch of new SWM only HDDVRs that are allowed to be on the account with the Genie-2 (HS17). But as more time goes on, this hope gets smaller.

Message 37 of 50
Contributor

What provider did you choose. Like you, I've had it with Directv.

Message 38 of 50

Hello, I need help. I recently bought a 4K tv for my living room. We  have 3 other TV's. A total of 3 DVR's and one HD receiver. I want to get 4K broadcasts on the Living room TV only. The other TV's are not 4K. Next week an installer will bring me the Genie 2 and a 4K genie Mini. Do I have to have 3 Genie mini's to work with the Genie 2? I was told by Directv Tech support that I will retain full function of my HR24-500 DVR (Swim System) in my bedroom and my other HD Receiver in the other bedroom. Is this true? Do I need 3 genie mini's even though the other TV's are not 4K? I was told that I would have to give up my DVR in the bedroom and I will keep the other DVR and HD Receiver. This sounds very confusing.

Message 39 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Timewarpone wrote:

Hello, I need help. I recently bought a 4K tv for my living room. We  have 3 other TV's. A total of 3 DVR's and one HD receiver. I want to get 4K broadcasts on the Living room TV only. The other TV's are not 4K. Next week an installer will bring me the Genie 2 and a 4K genie Mini. Do I have to have 3 Genie mini's to work with the Genie 2? I was told by Directv Tech support that I will retain full function of my HR24-500 DVR (Swim System) in my bedroom and my other HD Receiver in the other bedroom. Is this true? Do I need 3 genie mini's even though the other TV's are not 4K? I was told that I would have to give up my DVR in the bedroom and I will keep the other DVR and HD Receiver. This sounds very confusing.

CAREFUL!  If you're getting the newer HS17 Genie2 Server (tower), you CANNOT have any regular HD DVRs or HD Receivers on your account. You can ONLY have Mini Genies. Much better to get an HR54 Genie DVR and replace one of your Minis with the C61K 4K Mini Genie for your new 4K TV. 

Message 40 of 50

I just got off the phone with Directv Tech Support and I cancelled my order for the Genie 2 and I will receive the Genie 1 instead. Thanks for your help
Message 41 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Timewarpone wrote:
I just got off the phone with Directv Tech Support and I cancelled my order for the Genie 2 and I will receive the Genie 1 instead. Thanks for your help

Whew, glad you got the regular Genie. Can still use full HDDVRs on your other TVs (except on the one you will use the 4K channels of course).  Here is the info for the 4K setup:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Message 42 of 50
Contributor

Reading though it appears everyone has had various issues.

Here is what i have experienced .

I initiated a contract sith DIRECTTV and had the genie 2 server and four tvs up an running. All has been well.  Until, i called as att instructed to have two genie minis installed for additional tvs.  That is when it all statted.  I have had 5 technicians on three occassions over a 2 month peeiod trying to connect the 2 genies.  Activated and with excellent signal strength they will not connet to the video bridge.  After trouble shooting, the solution explained was that  I had to cancel service and order new service with all 6 genies.  Evidently, according to att and directtv you cannot come back and add genies once you have a system up and running.

It has been a frustrating ordeal no doubt.  Makes no sense to me that you cannot add tvs to a system you already have. But, that is where I am today.  Have to cancel contract and wait for techs to install a new one.  

Message 43 of 50

I just recently went with the Genie 1 (HR54) and a Genie mini and 2x DVR's (Non 4K) in fact I only have one 4K TV in the house but you have to have the Genie with the Genie Mini to receive 4K. If you have four 4K TV's then you need the Genie (HR54) and 3x Genie Mini's. I spoke to customer service for over 2 hours before ordering anything. I read many reviews on the ATT forum site and even their tech support suggested that the Genie 2 was released to early with many bugs. (Way many Genie 2 users are complaining) I have 4 x TV's and the Genie 1 + Genie Mini works fine for over 2 months now with no issues at all.
Message 44 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Timewarpone wrote:
I just recently went with the Genie 1 (HR54) and a Genie mini and 2x DVR's (Non 4K) in fact I only have one 4K TV in the house but you have to have the Genie with the Genie Mini to receive 4K. If you have four 4K TV's then you need the Genie (HR54) and 3x Genie Mini's. I spoke to customer service for over 2 hours before ordering anything. I read many reviews on the ATT forum site and even their tech support suggested that the Genie 2 was released to early with many bugs. (Way many Genie 2 users are complaining) I have 4 x TV's and the Genie 1 + Genie Mini works fine for over 2 months now with no issues at all.

The Mini Genie Client (C61K) is the only 4K box. The reason it needs the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) is that was built initially for the 4K service, but too far into production 4K requirements updated needed 2.0 HDMI. So instead of scrapping the entire line for new motherboards, it was cheaper and quicker to update the next model Client going forward.

If you have a 4K TV, you are not required to have the C61K. You only need that model Client if you are going to use the couple 4K channels. Otherwise any other box would be fine.

HR54 can only support one 4K Client at a time using a 4K channel. The Genie-2 (HS17) can support 2 at a time. This is the only physical benefit of the newer model. Since the HS17 only allows Clients, it hard caps at 7 tuners. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs are 9 tuners. If the Genie or Genie-2 go down, then all Clients go down as well, which is why I highly recommend HDDVRs over Clients. Since Clients only take 1 tuner each, there is no Picture in Picture (PiP) feature with a Genie-2 setup.

That is why the 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54) hits the sweet spot. I respect those that sacrifice a couple tuners so they can have a 4K Mini, as that is a personal preference. My household could not sacrifice the tuners (too many overlapping recordings) so keep with full HDDVRs. If a HDDVR that could output 4K (instead of just a Client) was ever produced, then I might upgrade.

Message 45 of 50
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support