Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Teacher

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Been s Directv customer for 25 yrs.  Moved and in January 2018 upgraded to a Genie 2.  WHAT A MISTAKE!!!   After over a dozen phone calls and several technician service calls I have discovered that Directv ha sold a system that was never tested and is steaming with issues.  After escalating to customer retention 3 times and as the tech stood in my kitchen ready to downgrade to a system that works (genie 1) I was told by the retention supervisor it would cost me $200.00 to downgrade my system with no way to waive a fee on a system that was fraut with issues they could not repair!  Instead of retaining me as a 25 yr customer I was told there was nothing they could do.  Pay the $200.00 to downgrade to a system that works or keep the inferior system I was sold in January 2018.  I will be finding a new service!  I’m disgusted at your lack of customer retention.  Obviously you don’t care, or you have so much business you don’t mind loosing your core customers!  I will be sharing this experience with everyone I can possibly reach!  You obviously don’t CARE!!!

Message 1 of 50
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

The Genie can have 8 clients max so you need a C41W or C61W mini and it's WVB. Depending on the Genie you may have to switch coaxes to power the SWM LNB on the arm.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 50
Contributor

I really appreciate this response, but I really need simple terms. I call DirecTV and they swear something else and I am frustrated. It is worth noting that the new TV being mounted above the fireplace that requires the wireless genie is a 4k TV
Message 17 of 50
ACE - Expert

The only mini that outputs 4K over HDMI is the wired C61K mini so you can't watch 4K programs in 4K on that TV if you use a wireless mini,  the only wireless minis are the C41W/C61W and they need a Wireless Video Bridge(WVB) to work

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Pl89pl 

Regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) can pair with up to 8 Clients (wired or wireless), though only up to 3 at most can be in use at the same time.

You can get a wireless Client, but requires a wireless video bridge (WVB) to be installed to the coax (like your other boxes) but serves as the wireless antenna to any wireless Clients you have.

Wireless setup which includes purchase of the owned accessory WVB is $99.

If you do not qualify for a free upgrade, the one-time lease cost of a Client is $99.

Upgrade comes with 24 month agreement as normal.

Genie has 5 tuners, HDDVR has 2, HD non-DVR has 1, Clients have none of their own (each using 1 from the Genie).

Currently up to 13 tuners can be supported on a single receiving dish.

To go above 13 total tuners you would need to have a 2nd dish installed.

No additional monthly cost, but you would have to pay to have another dish installed as that would not be a standard setup.

You do NOT need a Genie-2 (HS17). In fact it is highly discouraged as would forbid other HDDVRs from being on the account which would be a downgrade for your setup. Too many agents are pushing this unreliable and restrictive system.

Since you mention a 4K TV. The 4K channels require a 3rd generation Genie (HR54) on a non-4K TV and a Client model C61K which is wired only on the 4K TV itself. As there are only 2 channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs), I wouldn't worry about 4K at this time.

As you pay the $7 for each authorized TV, regardless if over 3 Clients that cannot be used at the same time, it is preferred to have a HDDVR or HD non-DVR receiver instead of a 4th (or more) Clients. That way you get more capability and reliability out of the same monthly cost. So over time I would consider replacing Clients with regular receivers so you don't have more than 3 Clients (wired or wireless) total. Though I would normally suggest having full receivers and no Clients at all, the only wireless model is a Client which is useful for those odd placed TVs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 19 of 50
Contributor

@Juniper this is extremely helpful information. This is in direct contrast to the meltdown I just had on the phone with DirecTV. I threatened to cancel my service, although, it wasn't really a threat. I finally got them to schedule a service call for me next Wednesday, the 20th. They did in fact push the Genie 2, and that is what they are coming to install. However, I do not want to lose my other HD DVRs. Am I communicating right now with AT&T employees? how do I make sure that what you are mentioning in your response is in fact what I get installed next Wednesday?I am not tech savvy and the people on the phone really have no clue what they are talking about.
Thank you so much!

Message 20 of 50
Teacher

I am not a tech savvy person either, nor am I a DirecTV employee. Just a
very dissatisfied customer, who was sold a product which does not work as
expected. I just know I am unable to watch or record any On Demand movies
or shows on my Genie 2. Nor can I rewind back to the beginning, any show
already in progress. It's not my wireless connection either as they tried
to tell me was my problem early on. I have the fastest fiber optic
connection available in my area and I am in a brand new development. They
keep promising that they are working on a fix. Well, I've had this product
for over a year now and I can tell you nothing has been fixed. They won't
downgrade my equipment because they said I am not paying for the On Demand
feature (its provided free of charge) and what I am paying for works fine.
As for what they are installing for you, I don't know if it's the same
system I have, but hopefully if you have an honest installer and you ask
them if the system you are getting is in fact the one with all these issues
they will tell you. Every installer who has come out since I had this
system, says this product has tons of problems. I wish I had known more
about these problems ahead of time, and that the original installer (who
spent over 3 hours trying to get it to work and left before it had
completely synced) had said something. I guess a 3 hour install should
have been my first clue!
Hope this helps.
Message 21 of 50
Voyager

@Juniper We just upgraded our 3 TV's UHD 4K and are using 2 Basic DVR Receiver and 1 Standard Receiver. We just finished a renovation and had new coax cable run to 2 of the 3 TV locations from the outside box near the Dish, so would not like to have additional coax wires run into the house as far as possible. I have chatted online with customer service asking for an upgrade. They offered free 1 main Genie with 5 Genie Mini's without any contract and charge. I mentioned 4K TV's and they then offered the Genie 2 with 2 wired Genie Mini's and 1 wireless Genie Mini with a 24 month contract and $49 charge. They were willing to do the 3 wireless Mini Genie too.  After reading all the problems with the Genie 2, what would be the best upgrade equipment set up for our needs?

Message 22 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Pl89pl 

I am not an employee of AT&T/DirecTV. Those that are have "employee" next to their name, though they are posting on their personal time so not in an official capacity. Any posts from their "cares" team, which show the AT&T logo, are official responses but they are not staffed enough to respond to most. I am just a very experienced customer who has looked a lot into hardware capability in consideration for my future upgrades.

The Genie-2 (HS17) forbids everything but Clients from being on the account. It has 7 tuners which is a hard cap. Your Genie, HDDVR, and HD non-DVR is 8 tuners already, more than the Genie-2 could reach. Like the regular Genie it can only pair with a max of 8 Clients, so even with them not all being in use at the same time it is impossible to support a 9 TV setup. You would lose your HDDVR by this upgrade as well as the recordings on your current Genie as they can never be transferred to a new box.

If your order is for the Genie-2 you will need to callback and close the order or you will end up with a very bad setup for your home. I would request a supervisor as agents pushing the Genie-2 which is a straight up downgrade for many large setups like yours is a big problem right now. A regular Genie with a mix of HDDVRs and Clients (even a wireless one) is a more reliable setup and provides the flexibility that you need for your home. Though if you have the 1st generation HR34, I would recommend a warranty replacement (which nets an HR44 or HR54) because of issues that design has.

Message 23 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Psethna

The Genie-2 (HS17) is far too unreliable to be recommended. If it weren't for the post launch bugs, then the restrictive design 'might' have been right on the border of being ok for your setup.

What are the models of the 3 boxes you have now?

What kind of coax did you run?

Little confused about your coax renovation. You already had 3 TVs with boxes wired in. Did you just put new coax on 2 locations and leave the old coax for the 3rd, or did you remove the coax from the 3rd location all together?

Message 24 of 50
Voyager

@Juniper  We have 2 Basic DVR Receiver Model R22-200 and 1 Standard Receiver Model D12-100. Old school ... lol.

So there are 2 coax cables to each DVR unit and 1 coax cable to the standard unit. The 2 coax cables to 1 DVR and the 1 coax cable to the standard unit were replaced, the 2 coax cables to the other DVR did not get replaced, but is still there. All 3 boxed units are wired and work. We want to update our equipment to get with the times and maximise the picture quality with the new UHD TV'S. Not sure what would be the best set up with the least additional wiring needed for 3 TV's.

From reviews the Genie 2 is not the way to go. From 1 of your recent replies above, you mentioned a Genie with HDDVR set up instead of using a Mini Genie client.

So would you recommend a Genie with 2 HDDVR set up, or can we use 3 HDDVR set up, or some other configuration. Thanks

Message 25 of 50
Teacher

Are you using Wireless Genies on the Genie 2?

Know bug in wireless, have them switch to Wired Genies, no issues there.

Message 26 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Psethna 

Glad you checked here first before calling based on the models. You absolutely have a required update of equipment coming.

DirecTV is shutting down the last of their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds in April 2019. Once that happens all MPEG-2 equipment is unusable as you will need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment to get service at all.

D12 is the last MPEG-2 basic receiver made so must be replaced.

R22 is the one special model. Though labeled an SDDVR, it is MPEG-4 (HD capable) and serves as an HDDVR if you have dedicated HD equipment. This was for areas that got rid of MPEG-2 years ago (like mine). Do not let any agent replace the R22 on the order. Too many of them, especially if they came from the AT&T side, are unaware of the capabilities of this model. The R22 will still work, provided the cabling and dish are MPEG-4.

Most likely you have the old round dish as you had SD only service. You will need a slimline dish to receive MPEG-4.

Depends on your exact setup on any modifications that must be made to the connections on your coax. Discuss with tech before they do the work about any concerns you have.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and you have a few options for an upgrade:

1. Genie to replace D12. This is a 5 tuner HDDVR. Shares recordings with the other 2 DVRs.

2. Genie to replace D12 and a wireless Mini Genie Client to replace one of the R22s. The Client uses 1 tuner from the Genie. Has a wireless video bridge (WVB) which is installed to the coax as if it were a box and then wireless to the Client. So this would save you from putting coax back where the 3rd TV is, but would require a connection that is within a good wireless signal range. Wireless setup is $99 on the order.

3. Replace the D12 with a regular HDDVR (2 tuners). Can still share recordings with the other 2 if you have Whole Home DVR (which may be required at this point for all upgrades).

In all options you will have a 24 month agreement for the upgrade. The remaining R22s should have a couple setting adjusted by the tech to accept the HD channels. You would have HD $10 and Whole Home DVR $3 added to the monthly bill. If you go with the 2nd option which replaces a R22, the recordings do not transfer so be caught up first.

As HD recordings take up more space then SD, you will notice the R22's hard drive filling up faster. You could consider replacing with a regular HDDVR, but those would be above the free upgrade so would have a one-time lease cost of $199 (each).

4K requires a specific setup that would result in all boxes being replaced. There are only 2 channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs) and not all TVs could use a 4K channel at the same time. There is no wireless 4K option. I would not recommend a 4K upgrade at this time for you as it would lose too much capability for too little benefit.

Message 27 of 50
Teacher

Yes they are wireless.

Can’t switch until my contract is up. I’ve tried everything unless I want
to pay $200.00 to change equipment.

Message 28 of 50
Contributor

We are switching to direct.  We wanted the regular genie with wireless boxes and got told we had to have the genie 2 with wireless. Tech said we didn’t and not to get the Genie 2.  We are trying to switch back to regular genie with wired and have spent over 4 hours being transferred and starting over every conversation.  What system do you suggest? 5 TVs , one being outside. 

Message 29 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Lpullin1082 wrote:

We are switching to direct.  We wanted the regular genie with wireless boxes and got told we had to have the genie 2 with wireless. Tech said we didn’t and not to get the Genie 2.  We are trying to switch back to regular genie with wired and have spent over 4 hours being transferred and starting over every conversation.  What system do you suggest? 5 TVs , one being outside. 

Per hard limits and post launch issues, the Genie-2 (HS17) is not recommended.

Regular Genie is a 5 tuner HDDVR. As 2 tuners are kept to the Genie, partly because of the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature, only 3 Clients may be in use at one time. So Genie and 3 Mini Genie Clients makes 4 TVs total that can be in use at one time. Though the Genie can pair with more Clients (up to 8 total) than can be used at the same time (workout room, garage, workshop, etc.), it is not the optimum setup.

Only Mini Genie Clients have a wireless option. Requires a wireless video bridge (WVB) installed on the wired coax within good signal range of any wireless Clients. This is normally beyond free equipment, which is a $99 wireless setup fee.

With the regular Genie you can have HDDVRs, or even HD non-DVRs, instead of Clients with no difference in monthly cost. Initial install usually covers Genie and 3 Clients (4 TVs). Any boxes beyond that would have one-time lease cost each; HDDVR $199, HD non-DVR $99, Mini Genie Client $99.

A Genie with up to 3 Clients may be ok for a starting setup. But absolutely for a 5th TV, get a full receiver so all TVs can be in use at the same time. Also keep in mind TV equipment is not built to withstand outside weather, as is intended for indoor use only. So can be ok in good weather, using outside is still at your own risk.

Message 30 of 50
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support