Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Teacher

Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

Been s Directv customer for 25 yrs.  Moved and in January 2018 upgraded to a Genie 2.  WHAT A MISTAKE!!!   After over a dozen phone calls and several technician service calls I have discovered that Directv ha sold a system that was never tested and is steaming with issues.  After escalating to customer retention 3 times and as the tech stood in my kitchen ready to downgrade to a system that works (genie 1) I was told by the retention supervisor it would cost me $200.00 to downgrade my system with no way to waive a fee on a system that was fraut with issues they could not repair!  Instead of retaining me as a 25 yr customer I was told there was nothing they could do.  Pay the $200.00 to downgrade to a system that works or keep the inferior system I was sold in January 2018.  I will be finding a new service!  I’m disgusted at your lack of customer retention.  Obviously you don’t care, or you have so much business you don’t mind loosing your core customers!  I will be sharing this experience with everyone I can possibly reach!  You obviously don’t CARE!!!

Message 1 of 50
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie 2 is a trap!!!!!

The Genie-2 (HS17) did go through testing and made the national launch last year when it finished the Beta testing. There have been improvements, but the post launch bugs have not been completely squashed. I agree it should have stayed in testing longer.

Also for many of us the Genie-2 is a downgrade to the 1st line Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54). That is because it forbids other boxes from being on the account if they are not Clients. So it hard caps at 7 tuners and all TVs are not solely dependent on one box to always work. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners with their own processing and can work independently if needed. (those that have the HR34, I suggest a warranty replacement as major improvements in the later 2 generations)

The $199 is the normal one-time lease cost of a Genie when you don't have a free upgrade. However, some have gotten Directv to swap back to a Genie at no cost but it appears to be a case by case basis.

Unfortunately regardless of the agent caring or not, they do not make the business decisions on the Genie-2's launch and have rules to follow regarding any replacement option. As this is a customer to customer forum (I am a customer as well), calling Directv 1-800-531-5000 is the only recourse on this system. Though it sounds like you already spoke to a supervisor in the cancellation/retention department, it might be worth a second shot at it. Wish you luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 50
Tutor

Same here. Customer since ‘96. Moved and was “upgraded” to Genie 2. Complete piece of sh-t. Been on the phone for nearly 4 hours with Khan trying to explain what this thing is not doing. Gave up today. Trying another provider. 

Message 3 of 50
Tutor

Thank you so much for posting. This is a great warning to anyone considering this change. I had no idea that DTV wouldn't let you mix traditional DVR's with the Genie 2. One of the biggest problems that I have with the Genie 1 I that the Mini clients will randomly 30 second skip to the end of a program. It only happens about 1 out of every 50 to 100 presses but if you record lots of sports, it's a disaster as you end up skipping to the end and seeing who won.

Have you experienced this behavior with a Genie 2 client? 

Message 4 of 50
ACE - Expert

Genie with 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners more than the Genie-2 could ever have and has independent processing. My preferred setup vs any Genie with Clients only.

There are no Mini Genie Clients that are exclusive to the Genie-2. They are the same ones that any other Genie can use. Which model Genie, and which model Minis do you have? Which ones are experiencing the problem?

One suggestion is to reset the system, but in a specific order. Red button reset the Genie and only when it completes then to reset any Clients. This is because the Genie syncs with the service and the Clients are just extensions of it. So you want the main brain in a good state before trying to share that info with the Clients.

In the long run, I would replace any Mini Genie Clients with full HDDVRs. That way you get the 2 tuners and 500GB recording space each, plus if Genie has any issues or fully goes down the dedicated boxes are unaffected. And no difference in monthly cost between Client and HDDVR as it is $7 for the authorized TV regardless.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 50

Juniper, you seem to know what you are talking about.  Can you advise me on what to do?

I currently have (2) HR24 DVR's w/Whole Home.  One is a 500 with an external 1Gb hard-drive that has worked perfectly for many years.  The other is a 200 that has had issues and been replaced a few times.  I have been having playback issues (screen going black, sections of shows missing, and they are very slow reacting to remote commands) lately, so I'm thinking to upgrade equipment before something bad happens.  I am considering the Genie 2.

I have the 500 connected to my Theater TV and (with a HDMI splitter) to my porch TV and with Component Video cables to my kitchen TV.  I use an IR repeater to control the box from these other locations.

The 200 is connected to the bedroom TV only.  It is also connected to my stereo receiver for listening to audio programming.  By the way, the 200 requires the TV to be turned on to get audio output to the stereo.  The 500 it replaced did not.  This caused me a couple box replacements until I figured this out!

I have never come close to filling up the hard rives, so that is not a concern.  The thing I need more of is the list of shows in the Series Manager.  They hold 50 shows each and that is not enough for me.  I'd like to have twice that, if possible.  What is the total in the Genie 2?  I also would like to record 5 or 6 shows at a time (can do 4 now).

I'm assuming it also can be programmed for 1st Run and added time to recordings?

You mention using DVR's with the Genie 2 instead of the Genie Mini's.  What are the advantages?  I was told by DirecTV that my two DVR's would record all shows on one of the DVR's until it was full, then record on the other.  This is not true (as you probably know) and each DVR records it's own shows independently.  Would the Genie 2 affect what gets recorded and where?

Finally, will I be able to hook up a HDMI splitter to be able to have programming show on three TV's?  Or is it smart enough to detect this and not allow it?  Are the bugs worked out of the Genie 2 yet?  What would you recommend for me to do? 

Thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 50
ACE - Expert

The Genie-2 (HS17) forbids HDDVRs from being on the account. It is a separate server tower that feeds the capabilities to any Clients. It has 100 series limit, which is the same as your 2 HDDVRs together (50 each). No DirecTV box will start recording on another if one hard drive becomes full. It would restrict your system, and not give you want you want out of an upgrade, so is not recommended.

A regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is a 5 tuner HDDVR with 100 series limit and a 1TB hard drive, compared to the 2 tuner, 50 series limit, and 500GB of a regular HDDVR (HR24). Can use other HDDVRs so allows flexibility.

The audio output difference between the -200 and -500 is unusual, as that number is just the manufacture code confirming which company made it. They are supposed to made to the same specs, so a difference like that is interesting.

If the issues you are experiencing with the HR24-200 did not occur with the previous boxes, so assuming it is a specific box issue and not an issue with the cabling coming into that location, then I would consider upgrading it to a Genie. You would get either the HR44 or HR54 depending on stock (HR34 has been discontinued). Since you already have Whole Home DVR, this would not affect monthly cost as you have all the services it would use. Naturally an upgrade comes with a 24 month agreement. This would result in increased series limit, tuners, and recording space on the one TV. As a note, just like your prior replacements, recordings do not transfer from the box that is swapped.

1st run and added time are standard options for any model of DVR that I am aware of.

The Genie remote (RC7X series) works on RF, though can be switched to IR if preferred. Will not change how the HR24-500 functions as that will continue to use the traditional remote.

Splitting to multiple TVs off one box  by HDMI can be tricky as it is only authorized for one TV on the account. You would need a powered HDMI splitter that supports HDCP 2.2 and recommended to support HDMI 2.0 as well. But HDCP required by the networks can be finicky as they do not want such an option to work so that TV providers and their customers are paying for each TV authorized. However you can still use regular A/V cables on the HR44 to split to non-HD TVs. The HR54 would need an A/V "dongle" cable as it uses an A/V dongle port for the output. As normal all TVs on the same box would be tuned into the same channel.

One thing to be aware of, all Genie models starting with HR44 are receiving the new Graphical User Interface (GUI), the way the menu looks. The Genie hardware is fine, but there have been a couple annoying bugs in the new menu software such as sometimes when you go into your recording list some of them are not showing (hidden). Supposedly the latest software download has finally fixed it, but it is rolling out in batches so not everybody has received it yet to be completely sure.

For comparison:

HDDVR: 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, 50 series limit. Can work by itself.

Client: No tuners, series limit, or hard drive as is an extension of the Genie. Cannot work by itself, so if Genie is down for any reason so are all your Clients.

Genie: 5 tuners, 1TB recording space, 100 series limit. Works with HDDVRs.

Genie-2 (HS17): 7 tuners, 2TB recording space, 100 series limit. Forbids HDDVRs from being on the account, only allows Clients.

Genie and HDDVR would be the best setup. Especially since you are already using an external HDD on the HR24-500 that you would be keeping. You would have 150 series limit (100 Genie + 50 from HR24) which exceeds the capabilities of the Genie-2. Plus if you ever got to the point where you wanted another HDDVR for the additional 2 tuners (and independent TV watching) and series limit you could with the Genie (adding the $7 as would be another authorized TV of course), but not the Genie-2

Message 7 of 50

Thanks for the info.  I will go with the Genie and HDDVR.  Series limit is a big deal to me.

Could I go with two Genie's?  I'm a bit nervous about my existing setup.  That unit and HDD have been on 24/7 for the last how many years (at least 5, but maybe close to 10?).  It's a pain when one of them goes down - missing shows, etc.  I purchased both of my HR24's through an online vendor so I was sure I got brand new units.  Can this still be done?  I don't like getting used machines as you never know what might be wrong with them.  All the replacements I got for the bad HR24 were used.

Message 8 of 50
ACE - Expert

@steve55340

Sorry, forgot to mention that. DirecTV only allows one Genie/Genie-2 per account. It was determined in testing that multiple Genies do not work well together.

There is never a guarantee that boxes are brand new. DirecTV isn't making HDDVRs besides Genie models anymore. Appears the new equipment direction is a Client only setup. However HDDVRs are still available through 3rd party vendors, and DirecTV should still be providing what it has in stock. Regardless if you get from DirecTV or 3rd party retailer, the box is "leased" so it comes with a 24 month agreement.

Warranty replacements only come from DirecTV and do not come with an agreement of course. Only "upgrades", or adding an additional TV, comes with an agreement.

Any regular HDDVR is pretty much guaranteed to be refurbished at this point. But it should be in "like new" condition. And of course the warranty is still ongoing.

In my opinion your best option is use your next free upgrade to replace the HR24-200 that has issues with a Genie. You can keep your special HR24-500 setup as is and it works with the Genie. This will give you more tuners, series limits, and recording space for that TV. Just avoid the Genie-2 as it does not have the capability you want and has other concerns.

Message 9 of 50
Contributor

I signed up for Direct TV for the first time for 2 TVs but not installed yet and do not know when it will be installed because they do not have the mini client and if they install the Genie  1 now and come back to install client there will be a charge!  So of course they are saying the Genie 2 is the best.  But after reading the above I do not see that it is!  What would be your recommended set up for no more than 2 people, minimum recording, no gaming, minimal streaming etc.  fixed income? 

Thank you 

Message 10 of 50
ACE - Expert

@Asgmm02

For a 2 TV setup a Genie and Mini Genie Client can be fine. With 5 tuners and 1TB recording space between them sounds like it should work for your setup. If it weren't for the post launch bugs that have not been fully squashed, the Genie-2 would be very good for a 2 TV setup but no more then that as has restrictions that make it less optimal for 3 or more TVs.

Personally I prefer a Genie and HDDVR. Not just because more tuners and recording space, but the HDDVR can work by itself if needed. If any Genie model goes down, all Mini Genie Clients go down as well as they are extensions of it. So having a dedicated HDDVR is a bit more piece of mind. Free initial install will cover the Genie and the Client. Normally HDDVR instead of Client would be above the free offer so would be one-time lease of $199. There is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR as you are paying for the authorized TV itself.

I would suggest calling DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and talk to their sales support department. Because of the issue with having a Client in stock, see if they could modify the order to an HDDVR for free. If so that would be the ideal setup. Just like the original order confirmation DirecTV emailed you, make sure to read the new one to make sure all is as expected.

Message 11 of 50
Tutor

If you watch a lot of sports delayed do not go with the Genie 2, the Mini Genie Clients will ruin the end of games for you. At least with the Genie 1, you can watch sports on a TV attached to the Genie and this issue doesn't occur (only on the clients).   

Message 12 of 50
Contributor

If you hit the fast forward button and then the 30 second skip button it will jump in 15 minute intervals. It's an easy mistake to do, I have done it on many occasions. So anytime the DVR is in fast forward mode the 30 second skip button becomes a 15 minute skip button. It also does the same thing when rewinding a show. 

Message 13 of 50
Tutor

@harryshears, You are correct, FF plus skip will jump to the next time increment (and will skip through multiple time increments if pressed multiple times). I have done that accidentally a few times too.

However, FF + one press of SKIP will jump you to the next timeline (usually 30 minutes on my recordings). The BUG in the Genie Mini's is that a single press of skip will immediately jump you to the END of the recording. This could be 4 hours ahead if you are recording something like Sunday Ticket (which pads their timeslots by several hours). It happens even if you are not fast forwarding. Like I said earlier in this thread, it happens like once out of every 50-100 times but many people have reported it on forums and I've never heard anyone mention it except on a mini. I've had DTV since the mid-90's and it's never happened once except on a Mini client.

What I'm not sure of is if this only happens if you are watching while the program is still being recorded or also if you are watching something where the recording has already completed. It ruined too many sporting events for me, so I've given up the Mini and watch directly on a receiver. I've also never had this happen while watching something recorded on the Genie via another receiver (over the network) although I don't have as many thousands of SKIP presses in this configuration to confirm this (I will in a few years). In my experience, it tends to happen mostly if I press multiple skips in a row, say to skip an upcoming commercial, I will press 6 or 7 skips quickly in a row. Perhaps the processing power is insufficient and it can;t handle this? It's also happened using a Harmony remote where I had the 30-second skip set to a swipe right or left on the touch panel. The FF is a hard button nowhere near the touch panel so absolutely no chance that the FF was somehow pressed first.  

Message 14 of 50
Contributor

Need some help. I currently have 8 TVs. Genie 1 with 4 minis, an HDDVR TIVO, another HD receiver, and a regular box (laundry room). 

We want to move our TV that has the main Genie box above the fireplace. This requires a wireless receiver. Calls to Directv are useless. Some customer service agents say I need to upgrade the entire system to Genie 2, others say, no, I can just upgrade 1 mini. After reading the above reviews, I prefer to not upgrade the entire system, and only do the 1 mini of this is possible. (Remember, this TV currently has the main Genie box on it.)

Additionally, we'd like to add a 9th system (TV). Hours on the phone with Directv and they have sworn to me their service can only support 8 receivers, yet forums tell me there are countless ways to add more than 8 tvs.?!

Can someone speak to me in laymen's terms. Please! I'm so confused and calling DirecTV is like speaking to myself.

Thanks!

Message 15 of 50
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support