Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 installation before 4K tv

Genie 2 installation before 4K tv

Should I buy a 4K Tv before the Genie 2 installation or wait until after I have a 4K TV?

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Master

Re: Genie 2 installation before 4K tv

before.

the installer may not install the 4k mini if there is no 4k tv

do you have service now?

the genie 2 is a terrible piece of equipment and never recommended

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

@CaptainSilo wrote:

Should I buy a 4K Tv before the Genie 2 installation or wait until after I have a 4K TV?

You must have a 4K TV for a tech to do the 4K install.

Do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17). Too many bugs and it is restrictive by design. All TVs become reliant on one box, cannot separate parental controls or recording lists, you have one more box installed then TVs, no Picture in Picture (PiP), forbids HDDVRs from being on the account, unfriendly for those with RVs, vacation cabins and the like as cannot just grab a box and go a

Regular Genie with 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners more than the Genie-2 has and with independent processing is a more reliable setup. Also can hide recording list, or just prevent rooms from deleting anything but their own recordings, and if Genie goes down your other TVs still work. Clients cannot work without the main box.

The 3rd generation Genie (HR54) supports the 4K Mini Genie Client (C61K) with 1 TV at a time using a 4K channel. The Genie-2 supports 2 TVs at a time using a 4K channel. As there are only 2 channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs), I say the downsides of the Genie-2 outweigh the minor benefit.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7

Service now = HR44-500 / HR24-100 and HR24-500.
After reading forum comments I have concerns about Genie 2 but I've talked
to a couple neighbors that have the Genie Wireless (a tower) and not having
any problems. Is there another Genie tower that does not have problems?
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by CaptainSilo
‎01-21-2019 11:45 AM

@CaptainSilo wrote:
Service now = HR44-500 / HR24-100 and HR24-500.
After reading forum comments I have concerns about Genie 2 but I've talked
to a couple neighbors that have the Genie Wireless (a tower) and not having
any problems. Is there another Genie tower that does not have problems?

A 4K order would downgrade your setup. Also there is no 4K wireless.

The regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54) can use a Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) to connect to a wireless Mini Genie Client (C41W, C61W). The Genie-2 (HS17) has the WVB built-in.

Genie and 2 HDDVRs provides 9 tuners. Clients have no tuners of their own as they are an extension of the main box. Since that Genie-2 only allows Clients, this hard caps you at 7 tuners. Plus since all 3 of your boxes would be replaced, that would lose all your recordings. Genie-2 series limit is 100, where your Genie has 100 and each HDDVR 50. If main box goes down, all Clients go down. There is no separation of parental controls or recordings with Clients.

Personally you have the best setup (Genie and 2 full HDDVRs). However if you really want the 2 channels that are in 4K, then there is an alternative upgrade option. After you get a 4K TV you could request to upgrade one of your HR24s to the 4K Client (C61K). This would require tech doing the install to swap your HR44 to the HR54 to be compatible (Unfortunately 4K ended up requiring HDMI 2.0 when HR54 was too far into production to make the change, which is why it only uses the Client connection). So you would keep the recordings on the one HDDVR you don't replace.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only two channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7

Thank you. I will keep my current configuration and leave the 4K TV in the store.

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

You're welcome. I am curious to see how 4K will be after we get out the early adoption days. Though AT&T seems to be pushing in the direction of a Client only system (per the Genie-2 design), I still hope that a full SWM-only (like all Genies and the H25), and 4K capable, HDDVR is in the works to match up with the new systems. Until then our existing setups are much better with Genie and multiple HDDVRs.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support