Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 frequently freezes for a few seconds or loses audio

Contributor

Genie 2 frequently freezes for a few seconds or loses audio

Just "upgraded" if that is what you want to call it to the Genie 2 server and 3 clients. I do have a Samsung directv ready 4k TV  but the technician recommended I use a wireless genie mini instead because it would work better. Is this true? Is there any way to hardwire the TV I watch 90 % of the time? The guide is slow AF, most of the time and freezes, my picture seems to freeze or the audio goes out probably at least once every hour, and it takes at least 30 seconds to turn the TV on and start watching. Nothingness about this is an upgrade from my prior genie set up. Does this system actually work? Is it time to look into what DISH has to offer? I have been a directv customer for at least 15 years. 

Message 1 of 22
Contributor

Re: Genie 2 frequently freezes for a few seconds or loses audio

I have had the same problems for 9 months.  Technicians have been to the house twice.  Kept blowing smoke that it was low signal strength, wasted 4 to 5 hours screwing around with dish alignment, LNB's swapped, changing wiring etc.  SAME PROBLEM exists today.  Freezes 4 to 5 times an hour.  If you perform a reset on the wireless module, you can sometimes make it a day or 2 without a reset.  The longer you go between resets, to more frequent the freezing up.

This is a design flaw and the wireless system has a memory buffer that is filling up, overloads and then "dumps" data and then starts working again.

Have spent multiple hours on the phone with their technical department who swear there is no problem with the Genie 2 and wireless modules and every time I end up hanging up on them as they are a complete waste of time.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 16 of 22
Contributor

Just got genie setup and tried to watch a show by streaming from beginning and it froze 23 minutes in.   Should I go back to multiple dvrs on hr23?

Message 17 of 22
Tutor

I've had the genie 2 system installed now for nearly a year.  Still getting the periodic screen freeze/pause.  I've called a number of times to report this and am told it is a known problem but will be fixed soon.  That obviously has not happened.  I wish someone from Directv would come on the forum and address this specific issue rather than remaining silent or giving out generic troubleshooting tips that apparently have nothing to do with this particular issue.  I've been a customer for over 15 years and am paying a pretty steep monthly fee for the programming and the 4k capability but I am seriously looking into other options now.  Anyone switch from Directv to Dish?  What have been the results?

Message 18 of 22
Tutor

I made them switch me back to my previous genie system. Also asked for compensation for my troubles which they did, but only $60. Not even close to what I had to do and taking off of work to be home to meet technician.
Technician stated that the newer genie has been nothing but problems.
Good luck

Message 19 of 22

We changed HDMI cables and instead of using input hdmi 1 we switched the hook up and input to hdmi 2! It works great!!
Message 20 of 22
Contributor

Add me to the list...after switching to Genie 2 it kept freezing.  Had the technician out who said everything looks fine.  Freezing continues.  Just received replacement hardware yesterday.  Freezing continues.  This is ridiculous.  Lots of people saying they call and are told it's a known issue, wish that was the case with me, I've wasted sooo much time with this!

Message 21 of 22
Contributor

Get used to it. The only “Fix” is to go back to the wired IRD’s at each TV. The Genie 2 and the small wireless receivers have a design flaw which causes the freeze-up and AT&T/DirecTV does not seem to care about the problem.
Message 22 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support