Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 Questions

Teacher

Genie 2 Questions

A couple of questions regarding the Genie 2/HS17 as I'm getting conflicting answers or no answers from DIRECTV Support. 

1.  If I replace my Genie HR44 with the Genie 2 will I also have to replace my other HD DVR with a mini?

2. How many programs will the series manager on the Genie 2 allow you to set?  For example, I think my HD DVR is capped at 50 and my Genie at 100. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 38
Teacher

Re: Genie 2 Questions

A Rep from Office of the President says the Genie 2 is not a downgrade. They are willing to upgrade without the 24  month agreement. Should i upgrade?

Message 31 of 38
ACE - Expert

@thomasrd, do NOT get the HS17 "Genie 2" Server, at least not yet.  And I wouldn't believe any rep that says they'll replace your HR54 with an HS17 and not trigger a new 2 year contract commitment. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 38
ACE - Expert

A Genie-2 is an equipment upgrade, but not necessarily an upgrade for you personally (as it is not for most). To answer your question wee need more info to make direct comparison. What model boxes do you have now? Are you adding any more TVs, or just upgrading what you have? Are any of your TVs a 4K model?

Also all equipment upgrades come with a 24 month agreement because you get the box free (at worst discounted) because it is 'leased'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 38
Contributor

When you when you say the genie 2 won’t work with a hr24 do just mean you can’t share recordings because I don’t want to share recordings. I have a genie 2 now and I shut off sharing on all the clients and it still shares with all clients that’s why I would like to add the hr24.

Message 34 of 38
ACE - Master

genie2 is a server. the clients are just dumb units that access it, you cannot turn of sharing

an hr24 is not allowed on a contract with a genie2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 35 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Dave,F wrote:

When you when you say the genie 2 won’t work with a hr24 do just mean you can’t share recordings because I don’t want to share recordings. I have a genie 2 now and I shut off sharing on all the clients and it still shares with all clients that’s why I would like to add the hr24.

Genie-2 (HS17) forbids other boxes (like a HR24) from being on the account. It only allows Clients. This is a huge restriction in the system as it caps at 7 tuners with only 1 hard drive to rely on and no separate playlists to sort.

A regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) allows other boxes on the account. So with a Genie and 2 HDDVRs I have 9 tuners and 3 hard drives so can sort the playlists as needed.

There is no monthly cost difference between a Genie and Genie-2 setup for the same number of TVs. So Genie is superior to the Genie-2. Though for anyone who has the 1st generation (HR34) get it warranty replaced which will net you the 2nd or 3rd generation (HR44/HR54) as huge improvements were made.

Message 36 of 38
Contributor

Thanks for your answers and input.

Message 37 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Dave,F

You're welcome. I really dislike DirecTV making a system that is restrictive over their prior setup. Since all regular HDDVRs are now non-returnable, I hope they have a new generation of HDDVRs that will be compatible with the Genie-2 (and perhaps regular Genies) going forward. A new generation of HDDVRs that is SWM only like all Genies (and H25) would make sense. But there is absolutely no word if such a thing is happening, but would seem reasonable based on other changes (even if it is not in the best order of updates being done). We shall see.

Message 38 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support