Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie 2 Questions

Teacher

Genie 2 Questions

A couple of questions regarding the Genie 2/HS17 as I'm getting conflicting answers or no answers from DIRECTV Support. 

1.  If I replace my Genie HR44 with the Genie 2 will I also have to replace my other HD DVR with a mini?

2. How many programs will the series manager on the Genie 2 allow you to set?  For example, I think my HD DVR is capped at 50 and my Genie at 100. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: Genie 2 Questions

I needed repairs and thought it was an upgrade to the new Genie2...wrong, I lost 2 HD receivers and great sound and you need a genie mini for every TV.  I say if you have more than one TV in your home do not go with the Genie2.  In my theater the darn Genie2 turns off the projector when you change channels and that's a pain to wait till it comes back on looking for the connection.

Message 16 of 38
Contributor

AUDIO CUTS OUT WITH HS17 GENIE 2 SERVER AND C61K 4K MINI GENIE CLIENTS  The problem continues to occur frequently everyday.. I've gone 2 months now with this problem.  The problem has not been resolved.

Message 17 of 38
ACE - Expert

@WallyB

I would say 2 - 3 TVs is the sweet spot for the Genie-2 because of recording space and tuners, while allowing up to 2 tvs using 4K at the same time. But yes newer boxes are designed to connect to actual TVs, not projectors or older projection screen TVs. The Genie-2 on 1 TV seems overkill with 7 tuners. The exception would be if it is a 4K TV as it doesn't run into the issue of being charged as if 2 TVs like the HR54 setup.

If you have only one 4K TV then I suggest the 3rd generation Genie HR54. That way you just have Mini Genie Client on the 4K TV itself and then the HR54 on your other TV, or even HD or HDDVR receivers on any other TVs. If you have no 4K TVs, then HR54 or HR44 is fine. If you have HR34 be prepared for a warranty replacement as hardware and software had quite the jump since then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 38
ACE - Master

i would qualify that with the family usage

with only 100 timers, a 3 or 4 person family may not like the limits on the genie 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 38
Employee

Just upgraded to genie 2 hs17  from genie yesterday.  I could stream great before now I can't on either iphone 7 or samsung 8+. On android I get msg..... network problem. ..please check your network connection and relaunch the app.  

On iphone 7 I get into directv but only Texas longhorn channel streams.  Nothing else can stream. I can't connect to dvr to register iphone 7. I get error. ..we couldn't activate your dvr for downloading & streaming. .

Please try again.  (100).

I called in to dtv tech and was told that is a known issue on h17 not being able to stream. .....really very weird. ..when dtv can be streamed  straight out of the at&t store before even service is installed. ...please help folks. .thx

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 38
Mentor

We have a Genie 2, HS17, and we have one problem that is bothering us. When you stop fast forwarding there is a 3-5 second pause before the program restarts. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there any fix for it, besides waiting for a firmware update. Thanks, Karl

Message 21 of 38
Mentor

Is there any way to get a Genie 2 to play Apple TV (3rd Gen). It used to work fine with my Genie 4400. Why won't it work now? Thanks!

Message 22 of 38
ACE - Master

@kaps77 wrote:

Is there any way to get a Genie 2 to play Apple TV (3rd Gen). It used to work fine with my Genie 4400. Why won't it work now? Thanks!

what are you trying to do with it?

they are 2 diff devices

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 23 of 38
ACE - Expert

@kaps77, what's a "Genie 4400"?  Do you mean HR44 Genie DVR? What model do you have now?

Message 24 of 38
ACE - Expert

There is no Genie 4400. Assume you mean model HR44 which is the 2nd Generation Genie.

Directv equipment does not connect to Apple TV. They each connect to the TV separately.

Message 25 of 38

Directv wants me to get the Genie2 to fix my distorted picture issues. For over a year i have had distorted picture on both tv's.  Twice all wiring has been replaced, new receiver & dish relocated but the distortion remains. I have the HR 54 receiver & mini genie.

Message 26 of 38
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎12-11-2019 5:24 PM

The HS17 Genie2 has more bugs then the HR54 and it is capped at 7 tuners as the account will not allow any other DTV receivers only minis and if it matters has no PIP.

Does the TV have the latest software?

Tags (1)
Message 27 of 38

Software is up to date. The tech that came out said he had over 10years experience with Directv. In Nov 2015 i had a Supervisor come out, he didn't know what to do either. I'm at my wits end, each tech that comes out spends 3-4 hours here.

Message 28 of 38
ACE - Expert

An upgrade of equipment would not be the way to go in order to fix a technical issue. Once issue resolved, unless you are using 4K on that second TV, I would use an upgrade to replace the Client with an HDDVR.

Has the HR54 itself been replaced, or just the Mini Genie Client?

If the HR54 has not been replaced, have you done a red button reset?

Has a different HDMI cord and/or input on the TVs been tried?

Rest the TVs? (pulling power cord for 15 seconds as unaware of a TV with a reset button)

Are they current HDTVs, not older projection screen models or even not a TV but technically a Monitor?

Checked display settings, especially resolution?

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Info and Test > Run System Test (must be done on the HR54 itself). What results? (ignore "cannot detect dial tone")

If work was recently done to fix issue (within 90 days) if a tech has to be sent back out it would be at no cost because of their worry free guarantee.

Following info for reference, and Genie-2 (HS17) is not recommended:

Directv HR54: 3rd generation Genie

5 Tuners

1TB Hard drive

Has Picture in Picture (PiP)

Supports the 4K Mini Genie Client (C61K). Only 1 TV at a time can use a 4K Channel, even if you have multiple Clients (Mini Genie or RVU)

Works with other HDDVRs to increase tuners and recordings space. (i.e. Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners)

If Genie goes down for any reason (tech issue, reset such as during software update, or accidental power plug pulled) other non-Client boxes (HD, HDDVR, R22,) still work.

Directv HS17: 1st generation Genie-2

7 tuners

2TB hard drive

No PiP

Can support 2 of the 4K Clients at the same time using a 4K channel

Does NOT work with anything but Clients so tuners cannot be increase.

If goes down for any reason, all TVs go down as Clients cannot work without the server tower.

Post launch bugs.

Message 29 of 38

Thanks for your assistance. With all new wiring done, i'm sure the tech did
everything you mentioned. I have contacted Directv. They suggest the Genie
2, from what i have read it's not as good.

Tom
Message 30 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support