Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Genie 2 Questions

Teacher

Genie 2 Questions

A couple of questions regarding the Genie 2/HS17 as I'm getting conflicting answers or no answers from DIRECTV Support. 

1.  If I replace my Genie HR44 with the Genie 2 will I also have to replace my other HD DVR with a mini?

2. How many programs will the series manager on the Genie 2 allow you to set?  For example, I think my HD DVR is capped at 50 and my Genie at 100. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 38
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tgifarris
‎09-04-2017 10:34 AM

1.  Yes.  If you have an HS17 Genie 2, then you cannot have any regular Receivers or DVRs, only Clients.  

2. 100 Series.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 38
ACE - Expert

Sadly the Genie-2 HS17 does NOT work with any boxes other than Mini Genie Clients. Recordings never transfer from one box to another. Unless you greatly want the three 4K channels and to allow up to 2 tvs using 4K at the same time, I would NOT get the Genie-2. The 1st line Genie (HR34/HR44/HR54) and HDDVRs on your other tvs provides more total capability.

Unless there is more capability in a 2nd generation Genie-2 (not any time soon), or more capability can be software activated in the 1st gen (HS17), then a Genie-2 would just be a downgrade. 7 tuners max, 100 series limit, no PiP, and cannot work with other HDDVRs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 38
Highlighted
Teacher

Thanks.  I pretty much decided when I found out about the 100 program series manager limit that it wasn't going to work for us and thus started my three and half hour/multi call ordeal trying to get my order fixed to simply get the HR54, which is what I had asked for originally before being "upgraded" to the Genie 2 without being told that I'd have to turn in my other HD DVR for a mini.  Thanks again for your input.

Message 4 of 38
ACE - Expert

A Genie upgrade would most likely get the HR44. The HR54 is only guaranteed if you are specifically doing a 4K install (C61K Mini Genie Client on the 4K tv itself). The 4K support is the only benefit the HR54 has over the HR44.

The original Genie line (HR34/HR44/HR54) is so much better since you can have HDDVRs on all your other tvs.

Message 5 of 38
Teacher

Correct.  I finally bought a 4K HDTV and so I need the HR54 upgrade.  Otherwise I would've stuck with all of my existing equipment and saved myself the nearly 4.5 hours over two days I spent on the phone with "Support".

Message 6 of 38
ACE - Expert

There have been many others trying to get a HR54 without having a 4K tv so just put that info in just in case. My household has the Genie and 2 HDDVRs so a 4K upgrade (either the HR54 or HS17 method) would be a loss of 2 tuners that we do need. So I am very attentive to the capabilities of new systems.

And here is the standard info for 4K (HR54 version) just for your reference if you need it later.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier)

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Message 7 of 38
ACE - Master

@tgifarris wrote:

Correct.  I finally bought a 4K HDTV and so I need the HR54 upgrade.  Otherwise I would've stuck with all of my existing equipment and saved myself the nearly 4.5 hours over two days I spent on the phone with "Support".

note: the hr54 can not output 4k via hdmi

you will need a c61k mini or rvu tv ($7 month for either)

if there is no extra tv for the hr54, then both will be on the same tv

directv has no 4k option without a mini/rvu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 8 of 38
Employee

I have an HS54,  an Ultimate programming  package and an RVU TV..all I need is to activate the 4KTV on the HS54?  $7 per month for 2 channels?????

It is advertised as free on the website...I wonder why so many are quitting DTV

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 38
ACE - Master

programming is free

boxes/tv connections are not

the hr54 cannot output 4k via hdmi

you must have the rvu or c61k

you can move the hr54 to another tv that has another reciever, remove that receiver

then activate the rvu.  no diff in cost

putting the hr54 at the tv with the rvu, the tv then has 2 connections, so 2 fees

just one reason i dont have 4k atm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 10 of 38
ACE - Expert

The HR54 was to far into production to make the changes needed when the 4K standard was changed to require the HDMI2.0 port so DTV made the changes to the C61K mini that forced single TV users to pay for two receivers, DTV has gone on to the HS17 that has no outputs but can only use mini clients.  RVUs are treated as a mini so either way you are stuck. 

Message 11 of 38
ACE - Expert

There is no charge for 4K service itself. The $7 is for each additional tv connection beyond the first. So in a household with 2 or more tvs, you have an HR54 on one tv, and a C61K Mini Genie Client on the 4K tv itself. No difference in charges if you had a Genie and HDDVRs on the others.

A single tv household uses the HR54 AND either the C61K or using a Directv Ready RVU tv that has essentially the client built in. This causes it to be counted as 2 connections as they cannot verify that the customer has not connected a 2nd tv after the fact. This situation was caused because the HDMI 2.0 requirement for 4K updated when the HR54 was too far into production to make the hardware change. The HS17 is the next system which only uses Clients which avoids that issue, but has the limitation that it does not work with any other boxes.

So no charge for the 4K service. Directv is the first to have true 4K content (not non 4K content upscaled like other providers), so the channels are limited. Unless you want to be ahead of the curve and boast you have true 4K content, I would just use the Genie and HDDVRs without Minis to get the most out of your tuners, recording space, and series limit.

The HS17 (1st gen Genie-2) not working with HDDVRs feels like a big problem to me. I hope it is something they can turn on later if they are doing final checks after just nationally launching the system. If not, then just something to check whenever it is time for the 2nd generation of the Genie-2 line, or if they come out with non-Genie HDDVRs that are ready for 4K.

Message 12 of 38
Employee

In other words $7 because AT&T DTV  technology is outdated !!!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 38
ACE - Master

you could swap to the hs17 if you only have 1 tv

Message 14 of 38
ACE - Expert

The HR54 was coming out rearing to go and the requirement changed. Instead of scrapping or rebuilding thousands (millions?) of motherboards to include the hardware that was needed, Directv was able to quickly come out with an updated Mini Genie Client the C61K to resolve it until their next system came out. The HS17 is a tower that sits by itself and feeds clients only, so if ever a hardware change like that happens again, it is much easier to come out with an updated Client to connect to the tv as Directv will not need to change the proprietary connection from the HS17 to the Mini Genies.

So not so much outdated but an unfortunate change in a key piece of tech upon release. But that additional $7 should only affect those rare few who have only a single tv and want to use 4K and accept it will bill as if there is a 2nd tv on the account.

For me only 1 true 4K channel (not counting select sporting events or the PPV channel) is not enough to jump to the HS17 or even use the HR54 and Client setup. I will stick with my Genie and 2 HDDVRs for now.

Message 15 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support