Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Force update

Highlighted

Force update

Is there any way to force update c41-700 genie mini from 0x0FBA to the latest new interface?

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: Force update

We never recommend forcing updates as there is beta testing software that can cause more problems. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15

im talking about the software update that takes 14 weeks to roll out to everyone? my friend has it on the new interface already and it automatically happened. Plz tell me how to force. if it breaks its my problem

Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bdswedberg
‎01-18-2018 4:00 PM

You can't force it.  It will come when it's your equipment's turn.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 15

when are all the directv cutomers going to see it, when will the "final" equipment update?

Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

@bdswedberg, none of us know.  I'm guessing they've slowed down the rollout given all of the complaints about the new menus. 

Message 6 of 15

@litzdog911 thank you for the info

Message 7 of 15
Contributor

As per Directv support, you can force the upgrade by performing the following steps:

Reset the receiver by pressing the red reset button.

While on blue screen, enter 0 2 4 6 using the remote.

That's it.  Suggest performing it late in the evening as the process takes a long time to complete.  

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Expert

@gnowell wrote:

As per Directv support, you can force the upgrade by performing the following steps:

Reset the receiver by pressing the red reset button.

While on blue screen, enter 0 2 4 6 using the remote.

That's it.  Suggest performing it late in the evening as the process takes a long time to complete.  

DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!!!

It's very risky to force DirecTV software updates.  You have no idea what version you might get.  An early beta software release could wipe out recordings.  It's happened to folks before.  Proceed at your own risk!

DirecTV software updates happen on an automatic schedule.  No need to force anything. 

If you want to play the beta software game, sign up as a beta tester at www.iamanedgecutter.com

Message 9 of 15

There has got to be a way for me to get the latest general (non-beta) release, or revert back to a previous solid revision that didn't constantly only show me a couple recorded programs. Then other times show me a different 3 programs. Sometimes the "0" sort workaround works enough to show me the program that i want to watch. Other times it removes more choices. Even Microsoft comes out with a patch within a few days, if they screw up a rollout. This has been months. So looking for some knowledge. Pertinent info below:

Receiver: HR44/500

Software: 0x1104, Thu 8/9. 3:03a

Again looking for a push of a more recent rev, or a way to revert to a less buggy build. Thanks!

Message 10 of 15
Contributor

My Genie HR44/500 receiver is stuck in exactly the same firmware date/version as clintmoyers:  0x1104, Thu 8/9, 4:56a. The DirecTV tech who came to the house three weeks ago verified this and forced an update. The update appeared to go thru all the motions, but ended up right back where it started. The receiver is aware that an update is available and tries to reset up to three times a day. Each time the reset process takes about an hour to complete. During that time the main unit and both bedroom units are completely out-of-service. I have asked for Tier3 assistance, but get crickets.

Message 11 of 15
ACE - Expert

Your receiver is not "stuck" anywhere. I wish people particularly techs who do nt understand how this works would not keep recommending actions that can't solve the problem.

A brief overview:

If you try to force a download during the normal business day you will get the so-called "national release" which you have. There are only three ways you can get an update.

1. DirecTV forces an update to your box usually overnight. You can't make this happen. You will get this when you are next in line.

2. You trigger a download when a new version happens to be in the download stream. Usually early morning.

3. Yousign up for the "cutting edge" program and get notified when you can get access to new versions for beta testing

Options 2 and 3 have different degrees of uncertainty. Cutting Edge release are typically the most advanced which means they also have most problems. A couple of times in the past CE releases have actually deleted programs, or completely bricked the receiver. Certainly you run the risk of your spouse permanantly losing all their programs - not good!

Message 12 of 15
Contributor

With all due respect TexasBrit, I don't think you understand the situation clintmoyers and I find ourselves. My Genie HR44/500 displays a popup at least three times a day advising me that an update is available, and that I can either reboot now or tell it to wait until later. If I do nothing within a few minutes it will spontaneously reboot, presumably to download and install the update. After an hour or so, when all functionality is finally restored, the software version still reads 0x1104, Thu 8/9, 4:56a. If what you say is true about software update scheduling, then all HR44/500 receivers should be at that version level and I should not be seeing those constant popups and spontaneous reboots. Can you confirm that the latest version is 0x1104? If not, how do I get through to Tier3 (or whatever DirecTV calls it) technical support to fix whatever the problem is?

Message 13 of 15
ACE - Expert

The latest national release for the HR44-500 is 1104. My guess is that the receiver was telling you there was a newer release available. But these new releases, which are not the national release,  are only in the download stream temporarily, and I suspect by the time the download happened the version had reverted to the national release, so that is what you will get, even though it's what you already have.. 

Message 14 of 15
Contributor

If my HR44/500 is actually running software version 0x1104, how do I get it to STOP thinking it needs to download a fresh update several times a day? I have called the DirecTV 800 number. They have sent a technician to the house. No joy. What do I have to do to find someone who knows how to fix this problem? I'm a long time customer (pre-AT&T) paying full fare for a service that goes down three or four times a day for an hour each time.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support