Explore & discover

Helpful Links

FIOS Internet Connection for Whole-home DVR

Tutor

FIOS Internet Connection for Whole-home DVR

I have Verizon FIOS BB Internet.  Yesterday I had Whole home DVR service with Internet connection installed.  All seems to work fine, so far, except the Internet connection.  I have a Verizon supplied wireless router/modem for my home network connection.  In previous talks with DTV service tech's doing repair work on my DTV system, I inquired about WH DVR service.  They explained to me that the Internet connection for DTV would be made at my Verizon router.  However, yesterday, the installer plugged the DECA for the BB connection directly into the FIOS equipment where it enters my house.  This is the box that the Verizon wireless router has  a coax line connected to.  There happened to be a spare RJ45 jack that the DTV service rep plugged the BB DECA into.  I do not see how this connection can work with my home network to enable media sharing or PC viewing of DTV.  It certainly is not allowing VoD or the network apps to work.

I spoke to the rep this morning and he assures me that it will work, just reboot the Verizon equipment,  the entry box equipment not the wireless router.  I know quite a bit about networking, and I do not see how this setup will ever work.  By the way when I ran an Ethernet cable from the wireless router to the DECA that should be the BB Internet connection, the Internet features of DTV started to work.  I do not want a cable on my floor, I want DTV to come back, and make it right. 

What is the proper connection for this type of system?

Message 1 of 14
Professor

Re: FIOS Internet Connection for Whole-home DVR

Based on your own experience, the router is the proper place to connect the BB DECA to your network. I'm not familiar with the FIOS equipment, but obviously the connection needs to be made after the router and not before it, which is how the installer seems to have connected it.

Message 2 of 14
ACE - Expert

I have FIOS.  You cannot use that ethernet port on the FIOS "home gateway" box.  You  need to connect to your modem/router ethernet port. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
Tutor

RE: FIOS Internet Connection for Whole-home DVR

Yes the installer connected the BB DECA before the router.

I just spoke to a Field Supervisor for a DTV subcontractor that did the install.  He agrees and will have a tech here tomorrow to correct it.

Message 4 of 14
Tutor

RE: FIOS Internet Connection for Whole-home DVR

Thanks for the confirmation.  I just spoke to a Field Supervisor for a DTV subcontractor that did the install.  He agrees and will have a tech here tomorrow.

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

Keep us posted. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 14
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by dwlewicki 

will have a tech here tomorrow.

Be advised that when the BB module is properly connected you should do a power down reset of all your receivers and DVR's so that they can pick up the proper configuration from your router.  Proper installation procedure calls for the router connection to be in place before the receivers and DVR's are powered up.  In your case this didn't happen, so a power down (disconnect AC power) reset will correct the issue.

Message 7 of 14
Contributor

Here is another way:

For anyone else who upgraded from DSL to FiOS, and had trouble with DirecTV receiver communicating reliably using FiOS network connection:

The above text appears to say that if you restart the entire hive of all equipment, things will start to work correctly.  Maybe they will, but I am not a big fan of time lost to restarting everything.  And I proved that restarting DirecTV HR20 HD DVRs alone fixed nothing at all.

What worked for my HR20 HD DVRs was the following, written for those who do not understand networking:

DirectTV remote Menu-->Parental Fav's & Setup-->System Setup-->Network Setup-->Advanced Setup

You will have a display that shows network settings and MAC address.  On the first line, IP Address, use remote right arrow button (to right of Select button) to move over to the fourth box, the last segment of your IP address.  Key in an address not used by any of your other computers or devices, such as 25 but no higher than 60 or so, using the remote's number keys.  Then navigate to "Connect Now" using the same arrow button again, and press Select.  This should cause settings to be updated for DirecTV's (built-in linux) HR20 HD DVR operating system and for Verizon FiOS's router, and DirecTV VoD should once again work reliably, and rapidly.

Sadly, the DirecTV cust service rep's are completely clueless about this, and they have a brick wall to communications with actual engineering staff at DirecTV who may be able to help them.  I asked that they start the cumbersome process of trying to get to the engineering people so they can update the canned database that all customer service rep's have to use when they try to help you.  In time, they may update their info.  For now, this method has worked fine, and you do not have to wait for cumbersome restarts of anything.

FYI - Windows O/S computers needed update of TCP/IP settings to use full speed of new FiOS Internet as well.  Later versions of Windows have "Autotune" feature, but it did not correct TCP/IP settings successfully.  I used Verizon-supplied optimizing app to optimize settings on one XP system, and that worked.  Without doing that the speed is slow and erratic on every version of Windows ever made.  I also used www.speedguide.net free optimizer download on other Windows systems (from 98SE not Verizon-supported through Vista and 7) with equal success.  In their downloaded optimizer, after setting a slider to 15Mbps (my new line speed) and selecting "optimize" and proceeding, proposed new settings were offered (notably, receive window was optimized).  In all cases, all systems, I accepted the settings change and everything worked fine after a Windows restart.  By the way, the speedguide.net optimizer creates a small file on your desktop when you do this, that is a "backup" file that can be used to reverse changes if you want, using optimizer to do the work.

Message 8 of 14
Expert

When connected to a DHCP router the DVR's and receivers will self configure during boot up.  Going in to advanced settings may have worked for you, but for the vast majority of folks, it is never necessary.  I've set up networking on several Directv installations and never once entered advanced settings.

I post this not to be critical of what you've done on your system, but to advise other readers of this thread that the power down reboot is the procedure recommended by the field training manual.

Message 9 of 14
Tutor

After one no show appointment and one appointment where the service rep showed up at 8:45 PM, the internet connection issued was resolved on the third appointment  Granted, this was four days after the initial setup of the whole-home DVR and not several weeks later.  My apologies for not updating the forum sooner, but I have been extremely busy with travel the last several weeks.

I requested a different tech than the one who initially set up the whole home DVR to come and fix the installation.  The 2nd tech is one that I had prior experience with and I thought was knowledgeable on the whole home DVR set up.  He had been at my home for repair work a few months earlier and we discussed at length what would have to be done when I decided to add the whole home DVR.  He came in and ran the internet connection hookup for the whole home DVR to my FIOS router, also a wireless router.  The previous connection to the Verizon "home gateway" box was removed.

All DirecTV boxes immediately were able to get an internet connection.  While at my home, the installer cleaned up some other issues that the original installer had left behind.  There were four extra coax lines from the eight way splitter that were no longer needed for my four boxes.  They were left over from the old DVR hookups from my previous NON-SWiM system. 

He also added a new component to the hookup for my HR20 DVR.  The first installer had a DECA that connected to the Satellite 1 input and Satellite 2 input was empty.  The new setup now has a SWM ODU device on the cable from the four way spillter (this splitter is the entry point into my SWM system.)  The 4 way spillter has a single input connection from the dish and four outputs feeding the wires to my two DVRs and two HD non-DVR boxes.

Now at the back of the HR-20, is the new ODU unit.  I do not know what the ODU is for.  The coax cable from the 4 way splitter feeds directly into the ODU.  From the ODU, there is a second coax cable that feeds into the input of a 2 way splitter. The two outputs of the two way spillter are as follows, one goes to the DECA and then to the Satellite 1 input of the HR-20. The second output from the two way splitter goes into a band stop filter and then into the Satellite 2 input of the HR-20. I was not around when the installer made this connection so I was not able to quiz him what this extra ODU and two way splitter are for. The DECA for the HR-20also has the network patch cable connected to the Ethernet port of the HR-20.

The system is working better now. But I am monitoring an issue where a DVR will drop off the network before I call back for another visit from the installation team.

Message 10 of 14
Expert

Thanks for the update, glad you're all up and running.  Your HR20 must be a HR20-100.  Those particular DVR's do not put out sufficient power from one coax, so they use two.  For other readers of this thread, here is a pictorial schematic of the HR20-100 installation.  This is the only DVR that is wired this way.  The HR20-700 is wired normally.

HR20-100[22].jpg
Message 11 of 14
Tutor

Thanks for the picture.  That does illustrate how the HR-20 is connected except for one omission.  There is the new ODU unit that the second installer added.  The ODU device is connected between the  the input of the two way splitter and the 4 way splitter that is shown in the diagram provided by "dcd".  The coax from the 4 way splitter that has the dish input connected to it connects to the ODU.  The second coax on the ODU is connected to the input of the two way splitter that is shown in the diagram.  The ODU is also connected to a 120 volt power source.

One is the ODU for?

Message 12 of 14
Professor

Actually, ODU is short for OutDoor Unit and refers to the dish. What you're describing is the Power Inserter that powers the dish (It has coax ports to connect to the ODU and the IRD  or Integrated Receiver Decoder... installer speak for the dish and the receiver or 'box').

The PI can go in a number of different places in the system, including between the two splitters as it is in your case. Note that it must be connected to the power passing port on the main splitter, so be careful if you ever change anything around.

Message 13 of 14
Expert

Thus:  The label which leads to the confusion indicates that this is to used to power a "SWM ODU only".

SWM Power Inserter 21v[28].jpg
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support