Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment upgrade needed email 2/18/20

Contributor

Equipment upgrade needed email 2/18/20

I recieved an email saying thjat I will need to update some of my equipment by 1/18/20 to continue seeing local channels.

What models need to be upgraded?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎02-19-2019 11:01 PM

Re: Equipment upgrade needed email 2/18/20

DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 channels the last info we have seen is in April 2019 so all SD receivers will be obsolete so they are swapping them for HD receivers and changing the dish to get the HD sats at no cost, they will try to get you to upgrade so it is your choice.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Can you clarify for me?  I have a Directv DVDR Model# HR24-500 and a round satellite, without internet (only slow DSL through land line phone line available in my area).  Only 1 digital tv in house, the rest are analog with converter boxes hooked up to my antenna for very basic local channels.  When they offered me the Genie multiple times before, it was too costly and none of the added features would be usable, like whole home.

I’m also having problems this past week, with some recordings not playing (for 4 different channels), bringing up the “delete or not delete” menu, after pressing play.  The capacity was about 5-15%.  I tried to post the topic, but can’t find it on here.  Maybe you can help answer that too?

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

@Moviegal wrote:

Can you clarify for me?  I have a Directv DVDR Model# HR24-500 and a round satellite, without internet (only slow DSL through land line phone line available in my area).  Only 1 digital tv in house, the rest are analog with converter boxes hooked up to my antenna for very basic local channels.  When they offered me the Genie multiple times before, it was too costly and none of the added features would be usable, like whole home.

I’m also having problems this past week, with some recordings not playing (for 4 different channels), bringing up the “delete or not delete” menu, after pressing play.  The capacity was about 5-15%.  I tried to post the topic, but can’t find it on here.  Maybe you can help answer that too?

1. You won't need to upgrade your DVR, but you will need to have your dish upgraded to a Slimline HD dish.  Call DirecTV to arrange that swap .... 1 800 531 5000

2. Replacing your dish may also solve your "delete recordings" issue.  That's often caused by intermittent or poor satellite reception.  When the tech comes to replace your dish, they'll be able to troubleshoot this for you.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thank you very much.  I will contact them ASAP!

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

If you only have 1 box (HR24) then a MPEG swap on the receiving dish from the old round one to a new slimline HD dish will be what you need.

Just check the order confirmation they email you to make sure everything is as expected.

Do not get the Genie unless you are adding a 2nd TV. And in that event the HR24 does not need replacing as works with the Genie. So never replace a HDDVR with a Mini Genie Client. Also stay away from the Genie-2 (HS17) as is a Client only system

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support