Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment update

Tutor

Equipment update

Was encouraged to update my main DVR and remote equipment.  So I did.  Very sorry I did.

Problems include Freezing picture, freezing list, freezing guide, delay in turning on/off, recording programs (sports) don't appear on list til next day, recorded programs start over if not watched entirely in one sitting,

remote may or may not activate the guide or the list functions (new batteries in remote), sometimes the guide takes off and starts scrolling by itself.   Made a service call appt. with  DTV in Scranton.  No show,

twice.  Called main DTV cust. service and Scranton did not record  my appt...Cust service said some some complaints are KNOWN problems.  If they know they have unresolved problems, why encourage an equipment update.  How the @#%& is it an update???  Anybody from cust service gonna respond here?

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Equipment update

What are the model numbers of your "updated" eqiupment?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

What were the model numbers of the old boxes?

Model number of new boxes? (and any others not replaced)

From mention of "remote" equipment, I am guessing you have some sort of Genie and Mini Genie Clients. Reset the main Genie by the red button and when finished reset any Clients by their red button. If you have any wireless Clients, reset the WVB as the 2nd step in the reset chain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

Equipment update

Jupiter,

Flwg is info you had requested.

LR: mini genie model C41W-100...s/n A35LC3PY100295
and a HS17-500 Recv'r ID 023380127409 s/n D55GE8HU110649
I don't know that this HS17 is called. Both the HS17 and the mini genie
replaced a master genie.

MBR mini genie model C41W-100...s/n A35LL5GA112322
BR2 mini genie model C41W-100...s/n A35LP6FX111445
Both of these genies are old and were not replaced during the so-called upgrade.

All 4 units were rebooted. Results unknown as yet.

Hope this info is as you need it. And that it helps to resolve the problems.

Bst Rgds,
sjlinpa

##- Please type your reabove this line -##
Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

Ok you have a Genie-2 (HS17) and 3 Mini Genie Clients all wireless models (C41W).

The Genie-2 has the WVB built in. Are you still using the external WVB from the prior Genie?

I would verify that the coax into the Genie-2 is finger tight as any issues to the main box can bleed over into the Clients.

If you just did the upgrade, I would highly suggest calling DirecTV back and see if they will swap you back to a regular Genie because of the issues you are experiencing. The Genie-2 has some post launch issues, and it is restrictive by design. A Genie and 2 HDDVRs gives you 9 tuners, but the Genie-2 is hard capped at 7 because it only allows Clients. Clients cannot work without the main box which is another reason I prefer full HDDVRs. But of course only Clients have a wireless model.

Message 5 of 9
Tutor

Morning Juniper,

Prior genie did not use external WVB. I only had master genie and 2 mini.

Wires are secure & tight.

Of course I have thought of asking DTV to reinstall old the genie model. But
that doesn’t solve anything....especially why launch the new Genie when it
has known problems? Pretty stupid management.
Actually I prefer the original genies that were installed when I signed on to
DTV about 7 yrs ago. They all worked independent of each other. Yeah...less
recording capacity, but less trouble.

Do you know the name of top person in Customer Serv. at DTV. I would like to fwd my
complaints to him/her. Also e-address & phone..
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

You said "Both of these genies are old and were not replaced". The C41W is wireless only. The HS17 is the only one to have the WVB built in. So if you had any other Genie with the C41Ws, you absolutely would have had an external WVB installed as they couldn't work without it. Want to be clear on prior vs setup as this could affect the current situation.

Genies do not work independently of each other. Mini Genie Clients are extensions of the main Genie each taking a tuner.

Genie and HDDVRs work independently. If you had a Genie and HDDVRs instead of Mini Genie Clients you would have 9 tuners to go around for recording. The total recording space would be 2TB between the boxes which is the same as the HS17. I completely agree that the HS17 is not a good design. It appears that AT&T is pushing for a Client only setup, which I disagree with. There are no direct lines for agents/supervisors in customer service. However when you call you can say "cancel" at the voice prompt to route you to their cancellation/retention department which normally is staffed by more experienced agents. You could try discussing with them the situation and see if they (or a supervisor in that department) could work out an exception.

Message 7 of 9
Tutor

Juniper,
The two old boxes are in MBR and BR2. Again-- they were not replaced with the equipment update.
I call the master that was in the LR “a master genie.” Maybe that’s the wrong terminology. It did not connect
to a WVB. All the genies/boxes record and replay w/o interfering with any other genie. That includes now
and before the update. So that is what is confusing to me as to all genies experiencing the same troubles.
Can the WVB be defective?
Thanx for the tip on contacting a supervisor. Surely, tho, there must be a VP responsible for cust. serv.
I like to talk to top dogs. They don’t like it when they get direct customer complaints.

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

MBR mini genie model C41W-100...s/n A35LL5GA112322
BR2 mini genie model C41W-100...s/n A35LP6FX111445

So if those model numbers are accurate, and the old ones as you say, then you previously had a WVB as C41W has no option to connect wired to the coax. Most likely you have an issue with the WVB that is built into the HS17 (either malfunction or bad location compared to where all the wireless Minis are at). If the tech removed the old WVB then should be no conflict, but if he left it setup then maybe the system isn't configured correctly for the both of them. You could see about getting a tech back out at no charge to fix the install as they have their 90 day worry free guarantee.

I would still first see about speaking with their retention department and perhaps a supervisor as getting a regular Genie setup would be best for the long run. I get you like to talk to "top dogs" but DirecTV like many other companies doesn't work that way. They pay agents to take calls, not for supervisors and higher to do the work for them. So supervisor becomes the last stop over the phone.

Master Genie is fine on terminology. I many times call it the main Genie myself to differentiate from the Mini Genie Clients (which some people call "remotes"). The big point is that the Genie, or now in your case the Genie-2, run all the Mini Genies. So if the Master has an issue, that causes problems for all the Mini Genies as they in no way can work by themselves. Think of it as having all TVs connected to one box. The minis are just so you have something to point the remote at for that TV. This is a big reason why I prefer HDDVRs over Mini Genies as though they can watch each others recordings, they work by themselves so do not share issues with each other.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support