Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut off

Contributor

Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut off

I recently noticed a spike in WI-FI data usage and it was at a period and time no one was home, and none of our cellular devices were home. I have basically eliminated the possibility of physical use during this period, and decided something is connecting without my knowledge.  I eliminated cellular phones updating during this period because they weren't in range and isolated it down to Direct TV, Netflix, HBO GO, Play Station Live or our laptops, but as far as I know all were log out of and equipment was power down.  So I was wondering Does my direct TV use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected to the internet, when shut off?  If so is there a way see and to manage when these updates take place.

Message 1 of 16
ACE - Expert

Re: Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut

@ctrain22

Directv is service from satellite, you don't record your normal shows from internet.

Having an HDDVR/Genie connected to home internet allows you to access your channel's On Demand library. Essentially most channels each have an online server of movies and shows that you can download at your discretion. Having a box connected to internet also allows you to order PPVs (live TV or On Demand) by remote as it transmits the order to your account for billing.

So you can safely disconnect your box from internet. If Directv Ethernet, just unplug of course. If built in WiFi (HR44, HR54, HS17) go into Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet > Advanced > Reset Defaults. This will cause it to forget the WiFi name and password. If you have HDDVRs but no Genie (or 1st gen Genie HR34) with a wireless CCK, you will want to disconnect the CCK from the box and then reset network defaults.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support