Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut off

Highlighted
Contributor

Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut off

I recently noticed a spike in WI-FI data usage and it was at a period and time no one was home, and none of our cellular devices were home. I have basically eliminated the possibility of physical use during this period, and decided something is connecting without my knowledge.  I eliminated cellular phones updating during this period because they weren't in range and isolated it down to Direct TV, Netflix, HBO GO, Play Station Live or our laptops, but as far as I know all were log out of and equipment was power down.  So I was wondering Does my direct TV use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected to the internet, when shut off?  If so is there a way see and to manage when these updates take place.

Message 1 of 16
ACE - Master

Re: Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut

you tv will updates its firmware, or apps on the tv

a genie can download some things

its also typical for pc's to update when the network traffic is slow

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 16
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by dallas.yurek
‎09-27-2017 6:49 AM

Re: Does my direct tv use WI-FI data to update, unprompted, when connected with internet, when shut

Directv might do some updates for On Demand even when "off" (box is never completely powered down unless you unplug it, so you don't lose the guide info and such). For this reason, including any big downloads if the box was powered down where it has to reacquire everything, you should avoid having the Directv box connected to a data capped/metered connection. They are automatic and no way to schedule.

Computers, especially with Windows 10, try to do their auto updates when they recognize network has low usage. Supposedly big update within the next month so not sure if they are doing any prep work. But if computer is off then that is not connected of course.

If you have a smart tv connected to your internet, that has it's own firmware/software updates. Other media devices and game consoles work similar if they are connected. You mention Playstation Live,  if you have the PS4 check to see if you are fully shutting it down or just Rest Mode. Rest mode keeps it in a lower power state to receive software updates and notifications. I normally power mine down unless having to charge the controller. But I don't do anything heavily enough on the PS4 to need the updates when not in use so I tend to keep the network connection off unless I am intending to use the online features. If my household didn't use so much internet, I would consider just doing rest mode but a few people sharing off an authorized 50Mbps connection and you have to so some minor micro managing.

Because of these common devices, and other items trying to go full "smart house" (refrigerator, thermostat, etc.) speed and amount of data is becoming more important. My area has been denied fiber, though another company has released service up to 1Gbps. Unfortunately that works with a data cap and my current service is unlimited, so I still have what works best for my household (for now). Hoping the recent adding of up to Giga speeds by the competing company will cause my company to reconsider their position on my state regarding fiber or Giga. I'd be happy just to break the 100Mbps wall.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 16

sometime in the past few months Directv started doing something that is constantly eating an average of about 400mb/hour.  How do I know this?  I had my internet provider send me a list of my top usage sites and how much they were using.  In addition, if I disconnect the network from my genie, I use x amount, if I hook the genie back up, my usage goes to about 400mb/hour 24 hours a day consistently.

One tech support person I talked to mentioned that the DVR may download on demand movies even if you haven't asked to stream them hoping you will buy one.  This seems a bit rediculous to me as they can be streamed on demand.

the only suggestion I got was to disconnect the DVR from the network either by pulling the ethernet cable out or disconnecting from wifi.   

Of course this defeats the whole purpose of having the internet features available in the first place.  If I want to stream something I have to reconnect, and while it's streaming it's still sucking that 400mb/hour in addition to whatever I'm streaming.

Also I can't watch recordings from my DVR from my mobile devices if my network is disconnected.

I probably wouldn't care much but I'm on a satellite connection where I have a relatively low download quota per month.  I have good speed, just limited to 50gb/month during normal hours  otherwise I have to pay more. 

Directv needs to have a way to turn this off.  All my recordings are non-streaming recordings, only done during broadcast time.

I need a way to be able to turn off this automatic unsolicited download of  whatever.

Will there be a solution?

Message 4 of 16
ACE - Expert

What model DVR do you have?  If it's a Genie, be sure that "Genie Recommends" is disabled.  

Don't hold your breath waiting for the ability to selectively disable internet access.  

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Master

how often do you watch from the dvr on a mobile device? that uses data

Message 6 of 16

I just don't want it to download over my internet connection when I haven't requested to watch something that requires it.  They are just constantly downloading 400mb/hour all day and all night for no reason.  

Message 7 of 16
ACE - Expert

@alfredeisenberg, not sure what's going on, but my DirecTV equipment doesn't do that. 

Message 8 of 16

I turned off my genie recommends, no difference.

I used to be able to watch my dvr recordings (not streaming) from my mobile devices without using gobs of internet data.

I haven't been watching my recordings at all lately, but still see the constant drain 24/7 by directv.

Message 9 of 16

Message 10 of 16
ACE - Master

alfredeisenberg wrote:

a simple reset will not nuke anything, just use the redbutton

Message 11 of 16

@mdram4x4 simple reset or power down doesn't help, tech support was talking about resetting "everything" which I didn't pursue since I didn't want to lose everything yet and wanted them to find out what the root cause is.  Looking at recording history in the settings doesn't show anything recording all night but still have the constant drain of 400mb/hour.  

Message 12 of 16
ACE - Master

aaah, factory rest, sorry was confused

Message 13 of 16
Tutor

If I disconnected my dvr from my internet service, would I still be able to record shows?

Message 14 of 16
ACE - Expert

Yes.  Internet connection is not required for satellite channels and recording those channels.  It's only used for OnDemand, ordering PPV movies.  But you can probably leave it connected to the internet .... just don't download/stream OnDemand stuff. 

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support