Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Do I need the SWM, DECA and BBC on my HR24-500 HD DVR

Highlighted
Tutor

Do I need the SWM, DECA and BBC on my HR24-500 HD DVR

I just replaced an old HR20 HD DVR with a HR24-500 HD DVR. Do I need to use the SWM, DECA and BBC to make my whole home service to work? The CSR said I don’t but it does not work. I am looking for any suggestions on how to make it work? Which combination of modules do I need?

Message 1 of 12
Professor

Re: Do I need the SWM, DECA and BBC on my HR24-500 HD DVR

You need a SWM LNB or an 8/16 SWM module with the proper power supply and a DECA BB hard wire coax connection to the router for internet or a CCKW.

Whole home doesn't need a internet connection to work.

What other receivers do you have?

Message 2 of 12
Expert

Actually, what you need depends wholly on the type of dish you currently have.

If you tell is what type of dish do you have we can advice more accurately

Message 3 of 12
Tutor

The dish I have is a Slimline-5S (SWM). For more clarification on my whole home network. I have 1 Genie HD DVR (HR34-700), 1 HD DVR (HR24-500) and 1 HD RCVR (H25-500). Both the Genie HD DVR and standard HD RCVR are connected directly to the splitter from the dish. The HD DVR (HR24-500) replaced an old HD DVR (HR20-100). My old HR20-100 was hooked up as stated in the document listed at the following link, http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/DECA%20First%20Look.pdf How much of that old setup can I remove and still have my new HD DVR (HR24-500) work in the whole home network?

Message 4 of 12
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎10-04-2015 1:03 PM

You don't need external DECA and BBC on the setup as HR34, HR24, and H25 has built-in DECAs.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 12
Expert

How much of that old setup can I remove and still have my new HD DVR (HR24-500) work in the whole home network?

Everything!  There should be only one coax cable going the HR24 satellite input

Message 6 of 12
Tutor

Thanks for the help. Got it working without the DECA and the BBC, moved my Ethernet cable to my HR34-700 to get the whole home service to work.

Message 7 of 12
Tutor

That did not work with my setup. Got it working without the DECA and the BBC, moved my Ethernet cable to my HR34-700 to get the whole home service to work.

Message 8 of 12
Expert

What did not work?

Message 9 of 12
Professor

Using an Ethernet cable on an HR24 will disconnect it from Whole Home.

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

In an earlier reply you wrote "Everything!  There should be only one coax cable going the HR24 satellite input". I took that to mean remove everything. I had to put the Power Inserter back in line to get my DVR to get a dish signal. The only other thing I did was to move my Ethernet cable from my HR24-500 to my HR34-700 to get the whole home to work.

Message 11 of 12
Expert

Well. To be fair you never mentioned the power inserted for the LNB was there. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support