Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Disconnecting from internet

Tutor

Disconnecting from internet

Can someone tell me why there isn't an option in the network setup to DISCONNECT Wifi from Direct TV.  This is the most un-user friendly system we've ever had.  Seems this company just wants to steer you in the direction to benefit them.. not to actually HELP the user.  I'm simply trying to disconnect the Wifi connection so it doesn't continuously run and eat up all my internet allowance and just to do this I have to surf the internet hoping to find an answer on how to perform this function.  There is a CONNECT option... why not add a DISCONNECT option???? Just ridiculous!

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-11-2016 5:08 PM

Re: Disconnecting from internet

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup > Advanced Setup > Reset Network then exit without reconnecting.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
Tutor

Thank You

Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
Contributor

I have tried this method three times. Each time the I have found that I was reconnected to the internet the next day. I want to diconnect permanently. 

Message 5 of 15
Contributor

Does anyone have a the answer of how to disconnect from internet?

Message 6 of 15
Contributor

How do you disconnect from the internet

Message 7 of 15
ACE - Expert

Use the above directions.

Message 8 of 15
Contributor

Or change the password on your router, but don't tell your cable box

Message 9 of 15
Contributor

Directv keeps reconnecting to my wifi even though I have disconnected it multiple times using the above instructions, and changed the passwords on my router numerous times. I am on limited data plan through Excede and Directv eats up all my data. This is so frustrating. How do I permanently stop it from doing this? I have called Directv and all they tell me is its impossible if my router is password protected. Well, it is not impossible because it keeps happening! This is costing me a fortune. Can someone please tell me how to make it stop besides telling me to reset network settings and change the router settings because that doesn't work.

Message 10 of 15
Expert

@Bren5306 - Changing the password should work. Perhaps you are not saving the page. After changing the password, scroll down to the save buttton hidden bottom right. After clicking save it should ask you for the RG gui password found on the side of the RG.

Another possibility is to change DNS server, but this would be in the DTV box & I do not know if you have access or how to do  it.

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

I couldn't keep my internet disconnected and for some reason couldn't change my router password.  I bought a new router, all new password, and didn't feed it to my genie.  The genie learned everything and still reconnects to the internet every time I disconnect it.  Directv doesn't respect password privacy.

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

@Sissie wrote:

I couldn't keep my internet disconnected and for some reason couldn't change my router password.  I bought a new router, all new password, and didn't feed it to my genie.  The genie learned everything and still reconnects to the internet every time I disconnect it.  Directv doesn't respect password privacy.

Crazy.  I just don't see how that's possible. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 13 of 15
Contributor

Re= Disconnecting from internet

Scary is a better word for it.
Message 14 of 15
Contributor

Re: Re= Disconnecting from internet

Fixed  my system changed router id
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support