Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: DirectTV receiver on generator circuit, but will DirectTV still work if main power is lost?

Contributor

DirectTV receiver on generator circuit, but will DirectTV still work if main power is lost?

I have my TV and associated equipment, including my DirectTV receiver, hooked into a circuit that can be powered by my generator.  If main power is lost, will my DirectTV still work?  Or is there another place between the satellite dish and the cable going into the receiver that requires power?  If so, what might that be?  

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: DirectTV receiver on generator circuit, but will DirectTV still work if main power is lost?

You need the power inserter to be powered.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

TexasBrit, thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for my ignorance, but what is
the "power inserter" and where might it be located?

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bkolouch
‎11-28-2018 2:45 PM

The power inserter is connected to the SWM splitter or directly to the coax to the dish.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Employee

The dual voltage of your Directv system will not work right with a generator.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

Yes it will, but adding a UPS to filter the generator output would be better.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

It works fine. There is no "dual voltage" isue. But Shannon is right, having a UPS attached to your generator is best because your equipment will "ride through" any interruption. There are people who only have generator power using DirecTV with no problem.

Message 7 of 8
Contributor

You can buy a automatic transfer switch. The function of the ATS mainly to achieve the power transfer between mains power and generator. 

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support