Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct TV equipment return

Tutor

Direct TV equipment return

I never received my equipment return kit and I have since been in the phone twice with customer service to get them to resend the box. I still haven't gotten anything. I have been getting emails about paying the bills related to not returning equipment, but last rep said that would be fixed when they received the box. Is there anything else I can do? I really don't want deal with them on the phone again to not get anything accomplished.
Message 1 of 60
Tutor

Re: Direct TV equipment return

Juniper,

My apologies, but not everyone at UPS and/or FedEx has gotten the message.

When I checked recently, both UPS Store and FedEx/Office retail employees had no idea what I was talking about. The assistant manager at FedEx in Ahwatukee (Phoenix metro area) did say that they could handle AT&T equipment like DSL modems, but that they had no ability to access DirecTV accounts and create RMA labels. They would be, of course, happy to sell me a generic mailing package--but I would have to get the shipping address and pay for the packaging and postage myself.

Since DirecTV doesn't seem to be interested in my receiver, that option wasn't necessary. But that's not going to help other customers with returnable equipment, in areas where the FedEx retail people haven't gotten with the program.

It sounds like some outreach from AT&T Corporate to their shipping partners in regards to training might be beneficial.

Message 31 of 60
ACE - Expert

@edsinaz wrote:

Juniper,

My apologies, but not everyone at UPS and/or FedEx has gotten the message.

When I checked recently, both UPS Store and FedEx/Office retail employees had no idea what I was talking about. The assistant manager at FedEx in Ahwatukee (Phoenix metro area)...

@edsinaz, Would you please provide the street address of the FedEx Office you visited?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 60
ACE - Expert

@edsinaz

Not all locations are part of the return program for DirecTV. AT&T has a couple online tools to search for a participating one, though I'm not sure of the exact link. You can also call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to verify what locations nearby are on their list or if they are sending a box by the old method as not everyone lives within reasonable distance of those shipping stores.

And of course my prior post was correcting some misinformation from SoCalLady, that there is no existence of a DirecTV store. AT&T stores are not DirecTV stores so work similar to the 3rd party retailer they have been for years and cannot handle existing accounts, only send new orders to the DirecTV side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 60
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎12-05-2019 1:03 AM

This article on returns has links to both FedEx Office and The UPS Store locations that participate in the returns programs.

Tags (1)
Message 34 of 60
Tutor

Hi JefferMC and Juniper,

Since your replies are closely linked in subject, I'm going to do a twofer.Smiley Happy

Juniper: that would explain some things. I haven't needed to follow up, since (as I previously noted) my receiver has been obsoleted, and DirecTV seems to be happy with receiving my card. I'm still hanging onto to the receiver, however, just in case someone changes their mind.

JefferMC: the FedEx location is *** in Phoenix (85044). I'd have to look to see which UPS Store locations I visited; there are no stores in my immediate vicinity. Let me also note, now that I've reviewed my records, that this was in early February, and possibly before the switch in the return program. (Time flies when you aren't paying attention.) I'll also note that the FedEx people were polite and helpful, and didn't try to push any product on me--the generic package was just a suggestion.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 35 of 60
ACE - Expert

@edsinaz

If they only sent an envelope for the access card that definitely means non-returnable. Otherwise the card stays in the box with return.

At the very least starting with these models and older are non returnable: HR23, H23, D11, R16. Also the 1st generation Genie (HR34) and 1st gen Mini Genie (C31) are non returnable as well. D12 and R22 being the last SD and SDDVR models (and R22 being a MPEG-4 HDDVR in hiding) were recently returnable, but SD is reaching end of life so if they aren't non-returnable already they are expected to be soon.

Some have mentioned their HR24s (unsure if all or certain manufacturer codes, i.e. -500) are non-returnable. That could suggest DirecTV is making all equipment that is not SWM only (Anything Genie/Mini Genie except 1st gen I mentioned above, and H25) non-returnable. But this is only a possibility, I do not have solid info one way or another on this.

Message 36 of 60
Tutor

I did confirm with Customer Service that the HR24-200 (at least the generation that I had) had been obsoleted. I think you're right about non-SWM receivers; the last time I checked, DirecTV was only offering Genie receivers or similar. Interestingly, third-party satellite sellers are offering HR24s for direct purchase.

BTW, thanks for the previous answer about limited locations--that seems to make sense. If JefferMC is right, the return program through FedEx has probably been rolled out since I last checked.

Message 37 of 60
ACE - Expert

I hope that means that SWM only HDDVRs would come out soon. Because a Client only system is too restrictive and risky. Regular Genie and HDDVRs is the best setup. Genie-2, which is Clients only, is a downgrade right now until something drastically changes.

DirecTV will still activate HDDVRs (if you don't have a Genie-2). The 3rd party retailers will continue to offer what they have until out of stock. If SWM only HDDVRs come out, then fair enough. If they don't, that would concern me going forward with Client only systems that I don't agree with.

Message 38 of 60
Contributor

Our household has changed to Ciello and now have Direct Now. My husband talked with Direct TV and was told that Direct TV no longer sends out boxes or return labels.  We were to pack the equipment to be returned through UPS who would have the return address.  In the San Luis Valley no one with UPS has an address to send the merchandise.

I called Direct TV to find the address and I was directed to this website.  Are you able to assist me?  From the above statements, it doesn't look encouraging. 

Message 39 of 60
Contributor

Wrecking Ball,

All I need is an address to send the Direct TV equipment through UPS shipping.  May I have the information so this can be completed?

Thank you,

thelonevoice

Message 40 of 60
Tutor

They told me to take my equipment to my nearest fedex location along with my account number and fedex would ship it. My Fedex know nothing about this arrangement and laughed at the whole idea....so no help here.
Message 41 of 60
Contributor

Apparently the "right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing". This is ridiculous.

thelonevoice
Message 42 of 60
Tutor

Nope! My Fedex laughed!! Said I would have to pay for shipping!
Message 43 of 60
ACE - Expert

@edsinaz wrote:

Hi JefferMC and Juniper,

JefferMC: the FedEx location is *** in Phoenix (85044). I'd have to look to see which UPS Store locations I visited; there are no stores in my immediate vicinity. Let me also note, now that I've reviewed my records, that this was in early February, and possibly before the switch in the return program. (Time flies when you aren't paying attention.) I'll also note that the FedEx people were polite and helpful, and didn't try to push any product on me--the generic package was just a suggestion.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Unfortunately, some moderator helpfully snipped the publicly-available address of a retail business from your post as if it were private information.  Sigh.  [They'll probably find the time to erase the previous sentence as well, since it's also, technically, against guidelines]  So, I can't tell which of the many Phoenix-area FedEx locations you were specifying.  However, you probably saw my next reply as well, which contains a link to a website that allows you to specify an area and then shows the allegedly-participating locations.  You can look to see if your chosen store is one of them.  If so, maybe you can post the location-specific name so we can ask AT&T and/or FedEx corporate to re-educate them. 

Message 44 of 60
ACE - Expert

@Mywaymom wrote:
Nope! My Fedex laughed!! Said I would have to pay for shipping!

If you go to a normal FedEx shipping location, that is the correct answer.  If you go to a FedEx Office (formerly known as Kinkos) or The UPS Store (not a UPS Shipping depot, but the business that would formally have been called Mailboxes, etc.) then they have a contract with AT&T/DIRECTV to return equipment.  Their terminals are connected into the AT&T/DIRECTV networks and can look up your account, and print a receipt for the return.

I posted a link to help you find a participating FedEx Office location a few posts up.

Message 45 of 60
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support