Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Direct TV equipment return

Tutor

Direct TV equipment return

I never received my equipment return kit and I have since been in the phone twice with customer service to get them to resend the box. I still haven't gotten anything. I have been getting emails about paying the bills related to not returning equipment, but last rep said that would be fixed when they received the box. Is there anything else I can do? I really don't want deal with them on the phone again to not get anything accomplished.
Message 1 of 60
ACE - Expert

@SoCALady, those are all older boxes, so it's quite likely that they don't want them back.  I recommend hanging on to them for a couple of months to be sure, then you can recycle with a local electronics recycler. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 60
Contributor

Litzdog911 - 

Thanks.  I had gotten a little envelop for strictly the access card.  No instructions, etc.  I got a man this morning who actually made sense!  Shock!  He told me how to remove the card and it's going out today.  I'm putting the equipment in the garage and will give to e-waste in a month or so!

Curious about your "handle" and am sending you PM.

Thanks!!!!

Message 17 of 60
ACE - Expert

The HR34 is no longer returnable, I would assume that the C31 is also not returnable but you should double check, everything else is yours.

You can take them to any E waste center or you can go to this website to get a shipping label to send it to them  http://www.goodwilldenver.org/dtvcustomer/?referrer=http://insider.directv.com/2013/03/15/want-to-ge...

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 60
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the recycling info, shannon02! I've been looking at local electronics recyclers for options--I've got my current HR24, plus two RCA receivers that I purchased outright in the old days--but the Goodwill option may be simpler in the long run. I'll check them out.

Message 19 of 60
ACE - Expert

@SoCALady

Sounds like you got what you need. A simple recap if you or someone else needs it.

Yes the HR34 (1st generation Genie) has been non returnable for a couple years or so. My understanding the C31 (1st gen Clients) are the same.

RCA receivers? Non returnable for probably over 10 years, even if they weren't purchased to own.

HR24 recently returnable, but may depend on the manufacturer code (-100, -200, etc.) on exactly which ones are requested back when deactivated.

Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) is an owned accessory, so not returnable.

The link www.directv.com/recycle redirects to the goodwill Denver site, but is a lot shorter and simple to remember. This if you want to get a shipping box for recycling as opposed to taking to a local recycling center for electronics. Just make sure any box recycled does not have the access card in it for your protection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 20 of 60
Tutor

I called and talk to a guy named Raj and he told me i didn't need to return the equipment, that it was Outdated Equipment. I ask why the lady told me i needed to return it ( and she said she would send me out a return box-which I've Never recieved). He said they are required to tell us that...well which is it???

Apparently they want the Equipment but don't want to send you the boxes. More less they want your $$ money$$. They have since added a $138. Charge on my bill for Non-Return of Equipment. Soooo they will be receiving their Equipment because i will be Taking it up to them Personally and Disconnecting my Service from them at my house. The Equipment that i am returning was replaced by Netflix. My renters Love Netflix. This is Not the only problem I've had with them, Fixing Technical problems, they just don't care if it's fixed or Not!!! They just want $$$$.

Message 21 of 60
ACE - Expert

@Marty711

They are required to tell you to send back any returnable receivers. Unfortunately too many agents by default say all the boxes without checking the exact model numbers. If you were to post the exact model numbers, in most cases we can verify if returnable or not. Since you were billed non-return fees (NRF), then that confirms they are returnable of course.

If returnable, then there are now two ways to return as AT&T has been updating the process. Either DirecTV sends you a return box by FedEx to your physical service address to go back by USPS (not UPS), or you are referred to a nearby FedEx or The UPS Store (not USPS) with your boxes and account number to be provided return boxes on site. This change in return process started within the last few months, and just like right when AT&T acquired DirecTV, the transition has not been a smooth processes.

You cannot take equipment directly back to them yourself. Must be shipped. AT&T stores cannot accept return of DirecTV equipment as they are not the same company, though they have the same parent owner.

Netflix doesn't work for everybody. Requires good internet which not all of have, if we have internet at all. DirecTV is its own infrastructure so doesn't have to rely on someone else's service. Glad it works for you and your renters, just not for all of us.

Message 22 of 60
Tutor

C31-700 and H25-100: Are these returnable? First person I talked to said they needed to be returned. Second person said I could send them to Goodwill recycle center in Colorado. Just don't want to send to Colorado and then find a charge on my bill for unreturned equipment. 

Message 23 of 60
ACE - Expert

@Mywaymom

The C31 is a Mini Genie Client and does not work without the main Genie so check the model numbers of any additional boxes you have. The main Genie would be HR34, HR44, or HR54. The 1st generation Genie (HR34) is not returnable, but the other two (HR44, HR54) are.

C31 is the 1st generation Mini Genie and to my understanding is non-returnable as they are several models past it.

H25 is the most recent HD non-DVR and is expected to still be returnable.

Formally they would send you a return box by FedEx to send back any returnable models by USPS (not UPS). Now they send you to a participating FedEx or The UPS Store (not USPS) with the boxes, and your account number, for free return. Any non-returnable models are recycled (removing access cards first). The link www.directv.com/recycle redirects to the Colorado recycling center that does a shipping box which is nice for those that do not have nearby electronic recycling.

Message 24 of 60
Tutor

I still have the main box and I am still using it. Soooo had I disposed of the H25 box they would have charged me for it.? I just can’t understand why customer service reps can’t all be on the same page. SMH. Thanks for your response.
Message 25 of 60
Tutor

They charged me for 2 boxes. I requested Return boxes for them to be Returned. 3 request for boex later, still no boxes. I called again, Max ( a female) told me their Nee policy is that the customer take the equipment to be Returned to the Closest AT & T store or Directv store and drop them off. I told her i requested boxes for return3 mths. ago and I'm not driving to drop them off. Then i get an email saying my service bill was past due and service interruption would be in effect at midnight. So i called at 11:04 p.m. and the recording said i had an outstanding balance of $48.17 . I paid it.It said i have a 0 balance.I thought, really $48. can get service disconnected.Hmmm.So the next morning i turned on the tv just to find it disconnected. I called and the recording said i had an outstanding balance of $238.I was lived!!! I only pd. $170. and waited til 8 a.m. to call them.8 a.m. i have them on the phone. The 1st lady couldn't find the $48. pymt. So she connected me to another person. She found that it went toward Equipment, not service as the email said. It was a long day on the phone with Directv, ask for a manager several times, just to be connected to techs, customer service reps who put me on hold and 30 mins. later i hung up. By 4:45 p.m. that day tv service was still not on and most of them saying it was, but not one saying well let me send a signal or something to try to help. I ask for a manager just to get an AT&T manager, completely different fron a Directv manager. He didn't have much to say because he didn't know crap about Directv. The next day they sent out a tech that replaced one box and rebooted two other tv's. Well still one tv is still losing connection. He apparently signed me up for an upgrade. No way i want an Upgrade or Anything else from Directv, they will have one less customer by April 1st.  
Message 26 of 60
Tutor

Hmmmm, I've requested 3-4 times for return boxes. 2 mths. later still no return boxes. Just a $138. Equipment bill which they have on an email as "service" bill.
Message 27 of 60
Tutor

One rep. told me mine was outdated and i could throw them away. I ask why am i getting letters to return them and I've ask several times for return boxes and not receiving them? He said "they are just required to tell customers that". I told him that don't make any sense. I'm still waiting on return boxes. Directv has pulled to much crap ( billing) to be trusted. There will be one less customer on April 1st. 
Message 28 of 60
Contributor

For those still having issues and getting mixed signals and/or bills for the equipement, I'd find a DirecTV store and return everything to them.  Make them give you a signed receipt that itemizes everything you returned.

Good luck!

Message 29 of 60
ACE - Expert

@SoCALady

There are no DirecTV stores, never have been. Any stores are 3rd party retailers that may only send new orders to DirecTV, which is the same thing at AT&T stores.

You take any returnable receiver/clients to a participating FedEx or The UPS Store (not USPS), with your account number, to arrange return. Used to be DirecTV would send a return box by FedEx to your physical shipping address to be returned back by USPS (not UPS). AT&T has changed the process recently, I assume to save costs on resending shipping boxes to customer for various reasons.

Message 30 of 60
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support