Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct TV New Receivers?

Highlighted
Scholar

Direct TV New Receivers?

Hi everyone,

I have a Direct TV [Satellite] DVR [HR54-500] + a Genie 4K [C61K-700].

Are there newer receivers now? If so, how do they differ to the above. Is it worth upgrading equipment?

TY in advance!

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by iobunny
‎08-05-2018 7:38 PM

Re: Direct TV New Receivers?

The newest receiver is the HS17 Genie2, it is a mini/client only system with a lot of bugs at this time.  It has 7 tuners that are hard cap as the account doesn't allow any other DTV receivers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by iobunny
‎08-05-2018 7:37 PM

The Genie-2 (HS17) is newer than the HR54, but is a restrictive design as it forbids other HDDVRs. It is a server tower that sits by itself not on any TV. It then feeds Clients only to each TV.

A 3 TV setup of a Genie (HR54 is the 3rd generation and most recent) and 2 HDDVRs (latest model HR24) provides 9 tuners which is above the hard cap of the Genie-2's 7 tuners. Plus unlike Clients, HDDVRs work independently so are not locked to the HR54.

The C61K (Mini Genie Client) is the only model that can output the couple 4K channels.

If you only have 2 TVs, the only upgrade to consider is replacing the Client with an HDDVR to get 2 more tuners, a 500GB hard drive, and independent processing. If you value the couple 4K channels more, keep your setup as is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
Scholar

@Juniper @shannon02 - Thank you both so much for your advice! I’ll stick to Ky existing for how. We only have 2 TV’s...just wondered if new equipment had come out and whether upgrading was worth it. Appreciate the prompt response. 

Have a goodnight :-)

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

Glad to help.

If they were ever to fix the bugs of the Genie-2, or a better design with a later model, an upgrade might be considered if both your TVs are compatible with Directv's 4K service. This is because the Genie-2 supports up to 2 TVs using a 4K channel at the same time (via the C61Ks) as opposed to just 1 with the HR54. So once fixed/improved they could be ok for a 2 TV setup.

Personally I like the freedom of dedicated HDDVRs. Experienced when my Genie went down (turned out to be loose power cord causing it to reset), the other 2 HDDVRs had no interruption. If I had Clients all TVs would have been down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support