Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Direct TV Genie slow

Teacher

Direct TV Genie slow

My genie is very slow to respond, whenever I switch channels or switch between a recorded program and channel is is very slow to respond, sometimes taking up to 15 seconds or more, when the buttons on the remote are pressed the receiver blinks, but nothing happens, it's a UHF remote with fresh batteries, I even tried a IR remote and the same thing happens, the receiver is located about 10 feet away and is directly in front of where I sit, it also controls the volume on the TV and that works fine, I've done a regular reset and hard reset of the box and nothing seems to help, I called customer support and was told that the technical department is aware of the problem and are working on a fix, this was seven months ago, my daughter has the same equipment and has no issues, it also has problems with locking up, in that case, I have to shut it off and restart it for it to work, can someone please advise what might be a cure, I am just about done fighting this problem.

Message 1 of 28
ACE - Expert

Which Genie do you have?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 28
Teacher

Genie HD DVR receiver.

@shannon02 wrote:

Which Genie do you have?

Message 3 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Look for the model number behind the front panel access card door, or on the rear panel. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Teacher

HR34-700

Message 5 of 28
ACE - Expert

There is a known problem with the HR34 being slow when running the newer software the only fix is to have a tech come out and hopefully they will replace it with an HR44 or HR54.

Message 6 of 28
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTDIRECTVCare
‎04-29-2016 7:01 AM

@shannon02 wrote:

There is a known problem with the HR34 being slow when running the newer software the only fix is to have a tech come out and hopefully they will replace it with an HR44 or HR54.

Here is the latest fix,

Press Menu on the remote control and then arrow down to Settings & Help and over to Settings and press Select, go down to Display and Press select, go to Video and select, turn off native, then go to bar color and change it to Dark Grey, then go to HDMI control and turn it off Then hit the arrow key that points to the left and go to TV Resolutions... Remove 480I if it is selected and then put check marks in everything else that is allowed. Now hit the arrow key that points to the left and go to Preferences and then go to scrolling effects and turn that off as well, then hit exit and after the Directv picture back on, Press and hold Mute. While still holding down Mute, press and hold Select until the green light at the top of the remote flashes twice. Enter 9-6-3 on the numeric key pad of the remote, Green light on remote should flash twice.  Press the Channel Down key (not the down arrow).  Green light on remote should flash twice. you are done, this should reset the receiver and all lag should be gone, it worked with mine, hope this helps those who have been looking for a solution.

Message 7 of 28
Tutor

I wonder if this would work for the HR44?  Mine FREQUENTLY lags in response time.  Mostly during guide surfing.  Very annoying.  I didn't like my DISH service, but their Hopper DVR and GUI were fantastic.  I think the Directv service is better, but the equipment (including their "new" remote) pretty much stink, though Directv's DVR service is better.

Message 8 of 28
Teacher

It worked with mine, I was sceptical when I was told about it, since there are so many so-called "experts" on this forum who had other opinions on fixing this issue, but after searching many web sites, I found this fix and tried it, and surprisingly it worked.
Message 9 of 28
Community Support

bobcat1911,

Glad you were able to find the solution and thanks for posting it here!

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 28
Community Support

Hi chasers,

If it does, let us know here on the forums!

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 28
Contributor

Thanks.. It worked on my HR44..would I have to do the same on the minis..(have 2, one wired one wireless). Had DTV service guy out last night and couldn't fix it. If the station is changed in any of the other rooms, the screens go black.. having major problems...but at least I can watch tv in the living room... thanks.. (this problem has been going on since April 30 th...)  just going round and round with DTV...

Message 12 of 28
Contributor

I have these issues on a system (HR44) installed on 6/1.  The system worked great for 3 days and it's been slow response (at best) and crashes/system freezes (at worst) ever since.  Sadly, I tried this fix and got no satisfaction.  I've been calling DirecTV every two days for the last 6 days, and I finally got a technician scheduled for a week from now (ugh).  If anyone has any other suggestions, please post.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

Try a search for  clearmybox  this will dump the guide data and other things.  It will take a day or two for the guide to rebuild and any programs set to record will.

Message 14 of 28
Contributor

i have the hr44/500 and there is a big lag . had the tech come out and he replaced wiring , lnb , realligned the dish better . still did not help . he then replaced the reciever . not even a week later , started doing same thing . i called and they told me the standard fixes . unplug , reset , refresh . still doing same thing . will try this fix and see what happens .

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support