Helpful Links

DirecTV RVU Support Samsung TV

Tutor

DirecTV RVU Support Samsung TV

I'm considering getting a Samsung UN40EH6000 TV from Best Buy. I am wondering if this TV would support DirecTV RVU technology for connecting the HR-34 to the TV via coax-cable. I haven't been able to find any definitive answers on the web and was wondering if somebody could confirm that this TV does in fact support RVU.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Message 1 of 63
Employee

Re: DirecTV RVU Support Samsung TV

no

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 63
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response. What about the Samsung UN40D6000? I believe this one is support but I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Message 3 of 63
Employee

Currently, only the 6000, 6400, and 6420 of the 2011 Samsung TV models support RVU.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/samsung-smart-tv-directv-without-stb/

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/275652-hr34-sumsung-8000-series-tvs-rvu.html

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 63
Guru

I beleive that the TV that the OP post in the 2nd post should work fine. They have differnet sizes for the D6000 series and after a bit of google searches that one should work fine. If the OP wants to double make sure and post back there results I would recommend contact Samsung tech support to clarify those finding.
Message 5 of 63
Teacher

FYI, barnett...it will take a little more than just a coaz connections. You'll need a BB DECA for the samsung TV

Message 6 of 63
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by heath1500 

FYI, barnett...it will take a little more than just a coaz connections. You'll need a BB DECA for the samsung TV

I believe Heath meant to say a DECA module.  The DECA BB is for connecting the Whole Home system to the router.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DECA1MR01&d=DIRECTV-Ethernet-Coax-Adapter-DECA--(DECA1MR01)

Message 7 of 63
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by dcd 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath1500 

I believe Heath meant to say a DECA module.  The DECA BB is for connecting the Whole Home system to the router.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DECA1MR01&d=DIRECTV-Ethernet-Coax-Adapter

Actually it could be either.  But DirecTV is using the DECA BB as an RVU client connection.  Also an straight up ethernet cable, if available can be used as well

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 63
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
Actually it could be either.  But DirecTV is using the DECA BB as an RVU client connection.  Also an straight up ethernet cable, if available can be used as well

The only connection to the TV would be the Ethernet jumper from the DECA BB?  Or, an Ethernet feed from the HR34?

Message 9 of 63
Tutor

Thanks for all of the responses. Another question I have related to RVU, is does anybody have first hand experience with using this? I have read in the blog posted above that the remote controller can be a bit unresponsive, has this proven to be true? If this is the case then would it just be better to go w/ a set top?

Finally, with RVU, does this allow for pausing of Live TV which is what I would be missing out if I when w/ a HD receiver connected to the HR-34?

Message 10 of 63
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by dcd 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

The only connection to the TV would be the Ethernet jumper from the DECA BB?  Or, an Ethernet feed from the HR34?

because DirecTV does not run ethernet cable only coax, a DECA BB  connects the RVU TV to the customer router, thus an ethernet cable from the customer router to an RVU TV will do the same job as having a DECA BB.  note that this relies that the HR34 MUST be connected to the internet (router) from the RVU client TV to work.

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 63
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by barnett03 

Finally, with RVU, does this allow for pausing of Live TV which is what I would be missing out if I when w/ a HD receiver connected to the HR-34?

Yes.

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 63
Tutor

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

because DirecTV does not run ethernet cable only coax, a DECA BB  connects the RVU TV to the customer router, thus an ethernet cable from the customer router to an RVU TV will do the same job as having a DECA BB.  note that this relies that the HR34 MUST be connected to the internet (router) from the RVU client TV to work.

Does this mean that RVU with a supported TV doesn't work over coax and SWiM?

Message 13 of 63
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by barnett03 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

Does this mean that RVU with a supported TV doesn't work over coax and SWiM?

Yes.  you have to understand that what DirecTV uses (DECA) which is a "cousin" of MoCA is networking with coax instead of ethernet.  all of DECA devices (assuming your DirecTV system is connected to the internet) winds up to the same place, your router, using coax instead of ethernet cable.  the TV RVU "input" is through its networking interface.  But DirecTV does not run ethernet cables so they use a DECA BB to "convert" the coax ethernet signals to the known ethernet or RJ45 connector that your TV uses.

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 63
Tutor

Hey barnett03,

The UN40EH6000 is a 2012 model as identified by CNET here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366966-221/samsung-tvs-2012-micro-dimming-leds-blacker-plasmas-gesture-control/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=embed at CES this year Samsung announced that ALL 2012's will come with the "boxless" RVU technology built in http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57356230/take-that-dish-samsung-directv-partner-on-boxless-dvr-streaming/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=readMore

With that being said I purchased a UN55ES6150 (2012) from Costco last week for $1649 and do not see any reference to RVU or the ability to set up a RVU client. I called Samsung and as you might expect the rep really knew nothing about RVU as is the case with DTV, I asked if my new set was compatible with RVU and she NO. She did mention about a set in the 7000 series as being compatible but I didn't take this too seriously.

I believe the CNET articles above and I think we will see more info in the next few month's, I am holding off for now on getting DTV to roll a truck to my place to get the HR34 set up..

Message 15 of 63
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support