Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV HR24 can't reconnect to network after new router

Mentor

DirecTV HR24 can't reconnect to network after new router

The power supply on my old router (Netgear WNDR3700) died, so I upgraded to a new Netgear R6300v2.  I basically mirrored the old configuration from the old router, but the new router automatically chose a different LAN subnet (presumably to avoid an IP conflict?) so all of the client devices' new IP address assignments are in the 10.0.0.X range (when formerly they were in the 192.168.1.X range).  I think this is a clue related to my problem.

When I turned on my new router, all of my computer clients, NAS devices, phones, and tablets connected to the internet just fine.  However, when I connected my router to the DirecTV HR24 via ethernet cable (into an inline DECA adapter to transmit ethernet data into the coax cable), I immediately lose internet connectivity on all of my client devices. Yes, I said all of my devices (phones, computers, etc. all lose internet access but retain their Wi-Fi or wired connection to the router).  As soon as I disconnect my DirecTV HR24 receiver from the network, the internet indicator light on my router changes from orange to green and internet access is instantly restored on all of my clients.  (How can connecting a single client affect the internet access of all the other clients?)

Here is what I have already tried:

• On HR24 Receiver:
    • MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Manually assigning an IP address (and subnet, gateway, DNS, etc.) in the 10.0.0.X range = NO CHANGE (FAIL)
    • Resetting the DECA network:
      • 1. Disconnect AC power from each DVR and Receiver
      • 2. Disconnect power from the DECA BB Adapter (black or white DECA BB box) or wireless adapter.
      • 3. Disconnect power from the SWM dish Power Inserter (do you know where yours is located)?
      • 4. Disconnect then reconnect AC power on your home network gateway/router and modem.
      • 5. Wait a few minutes for the router to reset
      • 6. Re-power the SWM Power Inserter.
      • 7. Re-power the DECA Broadband Adapter or wireless adapter.
      • 8. Re-power each DVR and Receiver
    • Repeating Network Setup = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

The exact error result code is 86 (no network connectivity)

• On Netgear R6300v2 Router
    • Powered down and rebooted with and without other clients to see if other device conflicts were to blame = NO CHANGE (FAIL)

One thing I have not tried is to make a static LAN IP address reservation (using the receiver's MAC ID if I can find it?).

In case it matters, I have 3 HR24's (HD DVRs) and 2 H24 (HD Receivers) all connected with Whole Home on a SWM network.  I turn all of the other receivers off when troubleshooting, as I cannot seem to get the "main" HR24 online (the one with the DECA network adapter attached to it).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips at this point?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 18
Teacher

Re: DirecTV HR24 can't reconnect to network after new router

A few things you could try...You might try resetting your router to default configs because most now will auto config port forwarding, without looking at your router most will let you set the subnet to what you want. The only reason that it would matter on the subnet is if any of your devices have static IP addresses, other wise everything you listed should be dynamic.

You might also try a different cable if you toss in a patch cable, or a cable that hasn't been tested it will give you fits...

Reboot per your list above and see what happens... and please post back.

Message 2 of 18
Expert

the HR24 has built in DECA so there should NOT be any DECA or ethernet cable connected to the HR24.  remove those and do a red button reset

Message 3 of 18
Mentor

What does a red button reset do exactly?  Will I lose my recorded programs?  How about my series subscriptions (will those need to be reprogrammed after a red button reset?)?

Just to be 100% completely sure, I went back to my Westell modem and confirmed it was in "bridged ethernet" mode.  I even swapped it back to normal PPPoE mode, tested it while wired to a computer, then changed it back to bridged mode.  I reset the router and only connected 1 computer to view the router settings, and wired the ethernet directly to the back of the single HR24 DirecTV receiver while bypassing the DECA adapter and was able to get a DHCP-assigned IP address and internet connection on the receiver.  But the Whole Home network was unavailable as I could not see the other receivers on the SWM network.  When I reconnected the ethernet to the DECA adapter, I could see the other receivers again on Whole Home, but of course I lose my internet connection on all clients.

I now learned that what I have been referring to as "DECA adapter" is really a BBCCK:

http://gearfx.com/temp/deca1.jpg

http://gearfx.com/temp/deca2.jpg

http://gearfx.com/temp/splitter.jpg

Message 4 of 18
Teacher

Where is your DECA BB connect to?

Message 5 of 18
ACE - Expert

No, a "red button reset" won't wipe your programs or settings.  It's like rebooting a computer.  And it often cures problems like this.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 18
Mentor

There is a coax line coming from the wall to the Y splitter (photo below in other response).  One of the OUT lines goes to the back of the HR24. The other OUT line goes to the DECA BB.  The ethernet plugs into the DECA BB, as does a power supply plug.

Message 7 of 18
Mentor

But I'm able to connect the HR24 fine (by itself when I bypass the DECA).  So how will resetting the receiver help, when it seems the DECA needs to be reset? (Except I don't see a reset button on it.)  The DECA does have a MAC ID printed on the bottom though.

Message 8 of 18
Expert

are there any LEDs on? what color?

Message 9 of 18
Mentor

Power and c.Link are blinking green (not solid).  NTWK light never illuminates.

Message 10 of 18
Teacher

So you have the DECA BB (BBCCK) connected to your router how? you should have cat5 from DECA BB to the router. Then run your reset list.You shouldn't have to reconfigure anything, the DECA BB should pick up an IP address from your router automatically. Do do the Red button reset like litzdog911 suggested.

MVR = Whole Home network

Think of it like this... The DECA BB is like a router for DTV MVR network. each receiver uses a DECA ( Like a NIC card) to be on the MVR system (Network). The DECA BB (MVR Router/Modem) connects the MVR LAN to the local LAN interface (your modem, and router.) If that helps. So the HR24 has a built in DECA (NIC card) so it will not need an external one. The DECA BB takes the MVR LAN (Coax) and interfaces it with your router. (Cat5).

It also must be treated as such just like your ISP to Modem to router set up you must allow the modem to pick up a (Dynamic IP) from your ISP, before you router can make a connection with the modem, and then your PC etc. can pickup a connection from your router....

Thats why you have the sequence you listed. The red button Reset is like doing a restart on your PC. You don't loose anything, it just reboots your device.

From the pictures you posted you have a wired CCK (DECA BB) not a wireless one...

Message 11 of 18
Mentor

Just tried the red button reset, no change/improvement.

Message 12 of 18
Expert

Not sure if you've covered this but on the new router a couple of things to check.  No firewall activated and DHCP set to on.  If either of those need changing, do so and re run the reset sequence you outlined in your original post.

Message 13 of 18
Mentor

Sorry, I didn't mention this before.  Yes, all firewall and security settings are disabled (by default).  And DHCP is also set to on (default also).

Message 14 of 18
Teacher

I would place a service call, might need something else we are not thinking of...

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support