Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV Genie Mini c41w-500 powers off with receiver and projector

Tutor

DirecTV Genie Mini c41w-500 powers off with receiver and projector

I am having issues getting my DirecTV Genie Mini (model c41w-500) to work with my home theater setup.  We recently had our DirecTV equipment upgraded, and now I cannot get the Genie Mini to stay on.  I am running a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver and a Mitsubishi HC7800D 3D DLP 1080p Home Theater Projector.  The current wiring is Genie Mini into HDMI input 1 on the receiver and the projector is plugged into HDMI output 1.  When I turn everything on, the Genie Mini will power on then power off automatically and will not turn back on.  I have to unplug the Genie Mini from any power source to get it to function at all.  It’ll go through the same cycle, turn on for about 5 seconds then power itself off and won’t turn back on.  If I don’t have the projector on, the Genie Mini will stay on and play sound through the receiver.  However, as soon as I turn the projector on to run the video, it powers off the Genie Mini and the above occurs again.  As an alternative, I’ve tried to use a powered HDMI splitter (VHD-1X2MN3D).  It is a 1x2 powered HDMI splitter.  When I add this to the mix, I’m running an HDMI from the Genie Mini to the splitter input.  I’m then running and HDMI from the output 1 from the splitter to HDMI input 1 on the receiver.  Same issues as before.  Genie Mini will start up then power off and won’t function at all.  Something is occurring when the projector turns on and I don’t know where the issue lies.  I’m not sure if it is a projector setting, a receiver setting, or something else.  When I had the older DirecTV equipment hooked up, I did not have this issue.  The DirecTV DVR unit was hooked up to the receiver then to the projector and everything worked fine.  Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
Teacher

Re: DirecTV Genie Mini c41w-500 powers off with receiver and projector

Wow, that not good. Do you happen to have hdmi control on (cec)?  Are you using servers remotes, or do you have a harmony running everything?  I don’t think the projector should be sending any signal that would shut down the mini client.  I would make sure the mini client and the AVR are NOT using HDMI control.  Then try manually using remote to turn everything on, starting with the genie and see what happens.  Hope this helps👍

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I've already turned off HDMI control on all of the devices and still no luck.  I am running everything with a Harmony remote, but when I tried your suggestion using the actual remotes for each device, it still did not work.  

Message 3 of 6
Teacher

Well you have ruled out everything that could be easy to test at least.  What do think is happening, is it possible that somehow the genie is getting an extra RF command?  Also can u manually turn on the genie by pushing the button?  Do you have another of the same model mini you could swap and try.  I know the harmony has a lot of options, maybe checking your activities could give you some insight as to wether it’s trying to do any extra commands.  I used to have mine switching my TV to the same input even though I only used one, but figured out I didn’t have to in the activities in the harmony app.  That’s really weird, wish I could help more.  It just sounds like something is telling the mini to shut down. Maybe possibly a bad unit..

Message 4 of 6
Tutor

I’ve tried other Genies and it does the same thing. I tried the Genie from the media room where this is occurring and it works fine on other TVs. If I bypass the Yamaha receiver and unplug the HDMI out from the Yamaha and plug it directly into the Genie, it runs the picture fine, just no sound and I can’t run any other components without re-wiring each time I want to switch to DVD or something else. 

Message 5 of 6
Teacher

So it sounds like if the AVR is removed from the process it works.  Maybe call Yamaha tech support and see what they suggest.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support