Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

Highlighted
Contributor

DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

I reduced service on 1 Genie Mini in Sep. 2017.  After multiple calls, emails and chat bots requesting a return kit, one never came.  I tried returning to an ATT store (an actual store, not an authorized retailed), but was told they don't accept equipment.

Finally, a customer service rep provided me an address in Memphis to ship the equipment.  I paid for the shipping myself and shipped the Mini and remote.  

Still, in March I received a charge of $190 for the equipment.  I have had to call each month.  TWICE I have been told that a credit would be issued, but it would take two billing cycles to process.  I was last told this in August. When I received my bill for October, the charge remained.  When I called last week, I was told there was nothing anyone could do because it was past the 120 day claim mark.

This is highly unethical, and I believe is an actual revenue stream for the company.  The fact that a company would charge such high costs to customers with no ability to return the equipment is outrageous.  I think because of this, we may have to switch to FIOS, as we have used them in the past and found their customer service to be much more helpful. 

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

You where not told the correct return policy of returning the receiver to a participating UPS/FedEx store, it is unknown if that address you where given was for DTV as they have never allowed you to return them yourself as they had the account number encoded in the return label when they used boxes to track them so even if they got it they don't know what account sent them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Associated Member
Solution
Accepted by Associated Member (Associated Member)
Accepted by Djinni
‎10-18-2018 1:15 PM

DIRECTV Equipment Return Information

If you are replacing a receiver, or cancelling your DIRECTV account, the receivers must be returned to AT&T. If equipment is not returned within 21 days from the date the account is changed or canceled, it will result in an equipment charge. 

How To Return The Equipment 

Go to a FedEx or UPS location with your account #. The equipment will be boxed it up & shipped out at no charge. The process takes less than 5 minutes. 

Tips

• We encourage you to initiate your return within 10 days to avoid being billed for non-returned equipment while equipment is in transit.
  • Keep the receipt with the tracking #. 

Billing Or Shipping Issues

If you are charged for equipment you have returned or there is not a FedEx or UPS location within 10 miles of you, chat with us

\_('.')_/ I hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus. (-*-)
*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

@MoUserefg19 wrote:

I would like to start a class action law suit, regarding this issue.  I will be sending an email address for anyone who would like to join this suit.

Right.  Let us know how that works out for you. 

Bottom line is that your contract with DirecTV limits you to Binding Arbitration.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Contributor

I agree that it is a scam and a revenue stream.  I plan on seeing how many complaints there are about this and contacting my State Attorney General.

Message 5 of 7
Teacher

Return with cards in receivers?

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@Roymg1959 wrote:

Return with cards in receivers?

Yes, of course.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support