Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

Highlighted
Contributor

DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

I reduced service on 1 Genie Mini in Sep. 2017.  After multiple calls, emails and chat bots requesting a return kit, one never came.  I tried returning to an ATT store (an actual store, not an authorized retailed), but was told they don't accept equipment.

Finally, a customer service rep provided me an address in Memphis to ship the equipment.  I paid for the shipping myself and shipped the Mini and remote.  

Still, in March I received a charge of $190 for the equipment.  I have had to call each month.  TWICE I have been told that a credit would be issued, but it would take two billing cycles to process.  I was last told this in August. When I received my bill for October, the charge remained.  When I called last week, I was told there was nothing anyone could do because it was past the 120 day claim mark.

This is highly unethical, and I believe is an actual revenue stream for the company.  The fact that a company would charge such high costs to customers with no ability to return the equipment is outrageous.  I think because of this, we may have to switch to FIOS, as we have used them in the past and found their customer service to be much more helpful. 

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: DirecTV Equipment Return Scam

You where not told the correct return policy of returning the receiver to a participating UPS/FedEx store, it is unknown if that address you where given was for DTV as they have never allowed you to return them yourself as they had the account number encoded in the return label when they used boxes to track them so even if they got it they don't know what account sent them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Associated Member
Solution
Accepted by Associated Member (Associated Member)
Accepted by Djinni
‎10-18-2018 1:15 PM

DIRECTV Equipment Return Information

If you are replacing a receiver, or cancelling your DIRECTV account, the receivers must be returned to AT&T. If equipment is not returned within 21 days from the date the account is changed or canceled, it will result in an equipment charge. 

How To Return The Equipment 

Go to a FedEx or UPS location with your account #. The equipment will be boxed it up & shipped out at no charge. The process takes less than 5 minutes. 

Tips

• We encourage you to initiate your return within 10 days to avoid being billed for non-returned equipment while equipment is in transit.
  • Keep the receipt with the tracking #. 

Billing Or Shipping Issues

If you are charged for equipment you have returned or there is not a FedEx or UPS location within 10 miles of you, chat with us

\_('.')_/ I hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus. (-*-)
*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 18
ACE - Expert

@MoUserefg19 wrote:

I would like to start a class action law suit, regarding this issue.  I will be sending an email address for anyone who would like to join this suit.

Right.  Let us know how that works out for you. 

Bottom line is that your contract with DirecTV limits you to Binding Arbitration.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 18

I agree that it is a scam and a revenue stream.  I plan on seeing how many complaints there are about this and contacting my State Attorney General.

Message 5 of 18
Teacher

Return with cards in receivers?

Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

@Roymg1959 wrote:

Return with cards in receivers?

Yes, of course.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 7 of 18

I was sent 2 pieces of equipment in January 2019. They wouldn't work for me. So, I retuned them according to the Directv return policy/instructions. I brought them to the UPS store and they scanned the serial numbers and gave me two receipts, one from ups and one from AT&T. The serial numbers were A35LP7EJ100063 and A35LN6AU100596 with the return reference number of B2795P20190131091223 and they were returned at UPS store #2795 on 1/31/2019 at 09:13 AM. It is now April 2019 and I continue to receive past due notices and the customer service reps have been no help. They tell me that they haven't received the items and that it takes 2 to 3 billing cycles. In the meanwhile I continue to receive threatening notices that my service will be cut off and that my bill is past due. I continue to call the billing dept. and they say they will make a note on the account or that they will grant a one week extension. I have meticulous notes of my phone calls including times, dates and the employee ID#s of everyone I've talked to over the last 3 plus months. I am very displeased with the whole situation and I believe that this is a revenue stream for AT&T. I think I am going to paste and copy this post on Facebook, Twitter and every social media site I can find. This is poor business practices by AT&T and it needs to be exposed. It also needs to be brought to the local news channels attention. It's unacceptable and it takes advantage of people. 

Message 8 of 18

Well, they say they want to help and they private message me asking for all the proof, which I give them but, it's the same old run around. Over and over and over. What a poorly run operation. It appears the Customer service department has no idea what the technical department is doing and vice versa. The internal communication between departments is severely flawed and we the customers pay for it. We pay for it with our time and with our money. It borders on criminal willful ignorance. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]I wonder how many people have been scammed out of money by AT&T's incompetence and scare tactics? It appears the policy of Equipment Returns was designed purposely to generate more revenue for AT&T. There must be a law against this type of business practice. I'm going to contact the Better Business Bureau and some of the state agencies. 

Message 9 of 18
Tutor

I am too!

Message 10 of 18
Teacher

It Figures this is a freaking Horror Show,  I got my 3 Receivers in two boxes and now they say it that one wasn't returned what a joke, What reason would I have to keep a Receiver from DirecTv.    I took PIctures Because I knew they would pull some crap like this, Because I paid my bill in Advance and they will apparently do anything to keep my hard earned cash ***** I was a GREAT PAYING Customer for 20 years never missed a Payment.  Now this.  I will NEVER GO BACK after this,  I might been thinking about it in a couple years but after this NEVER.   This just another Slap in the Face from what was a Great Satellite Tv company.  DIRECTV now that AT&T got ahold of this company it went right in the toilet.    I am not going to pay them another Dime out of my pocket and they will more than likely try to keep my 180.00 bucks.   The Part the ticks me off is the People that sent the E-mail,  Their Email box is full I tried to send the Pictures I have of all Three Receivers in the Box's and th Delivery proof..  I kept it all so I will get the justice i deserve one way or the other.  I am already stressed *****

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Message 11 of 18
Tutor

I agree, just sent mine back.  Took a complaint filed with BBB and a call from a higher up just to get the dang return box sent.  I kept the mailing receipt and took photos of every step of packing and mailing.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Hope to hear a good resolution from you soon.

Message 12 of 18
Teacher

Well It went better than I thought,  But I won't hold my breath,  I still think something will happen,  I have not Received my Final Payment back yet or had an Invoice sent to Me,  

I called and was helped somewhat, they found my Receiver it took a while and Pictures of my Receivers in the boxes Tags on top and Proof of Delivery Pictures.  Yepp all that which I had all of My better Half thought I was Crazy taking Pictures of the Boxes with all the Equipment Remote Controls too.  I laughed and said,  " They will try and pull some crap,"   because I had made my Final Payment and was pre my billing date, which they have to either send me a check or refund my bank account. Oh we'll see !! 

Needless to say and IMHO only, DirecTv Needs to either get someone from the Prior Owners of the Company,  and Train the Staff to be Kinder to Great Paying Long Time Customers. 

When you call someone on the Phone it's not the Experts before AT&T Bought them,  They Actually told me it would be better to go somewhere else if I wanted to save that much money, Well I did. I was willing to go back someday, If this Problem with my Return doesn't go the way it should I certainly won't.  Think about this one 2000 I started DirecTv my Bill starting out was 39.99 Was AWESOME TV. Where we live it was impossible for Cable then.   So yes the they were.  Pretty much the same Chanel's actually a few of the good ones are gone now replaced with BUY IT NOW TV !!  Well after almost 20 Years and believe me I understand Inflation.  but I added HBO and get Charged for HD,DVR and Whole Home Service and get this HD was Mandatory for all TV Stations so We Pay to get it in HD 10.00 per month.  My bill was 170.00 Per month now, I wanted a New Customer Price and they said maybe go somewhere else. LOL.   Good luck on your Quest NEVDAN.  Smiley Happy  

Message 13 of 18
Tutor

Here it is July 6th and I finally got an email stating they received my old receiver.  I have all the photos I took also in case they try to claim I damaged the equipment.  My account is closed so I can't look anything up, they sent me notice of a $53.59 credit on that account.  Who knows if I ever receive it since they website doesn't want to load half the time even on another browser, this started when they merged with Directv.  Guess I will wait another couple of weeks and then call the woman who helped on this.  She is from the office of the president of AT&T.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I'm just jaded when it comes to corporations trying to get out of paying you what is owed, or charging for faux services since the mid 90's.  I have fought so many companies that now I'm ready to do battle before the dust settles, i.e. Directv, a company I used to love.  I pay a pittance now through Amazon Prime and their channels.

Message 14 of 18
Tutor

i agree Direct tv seems to be scamming people out of there money i ordered a additional genie box  for a house guest. and i clearly asked the sales rep if  my contract would be extended. The sales rep said no i ordered the box used it for 3 weeks , cancelled my service before the bill date and was told my contract was renewed when  i ordered the new box. Now after being a loyal customer and never being delinquent only account they are charging me.$230 for early termination fees.  I am disputing the charges but they knew my contract was ending so they wanted to keep me on the hook for 2 more years .

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support