Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV 4K ready TV's, 4K content

Mentor

DirecTV 4K ready TV's, 4K content

I just purchased the LG 65UH7700 and was told by an LG rep that it's currently not on the list of DirecTV 4K ready models, although the previous gen same model is.

I was wondering if anyone has a TV with that feature, which they claim eliminates the need for a DVR box.  If that's the case, how do you save recorded programs?  Also, is the app robust enough to operate the same way a DVR box would?  I have a VERY fast internet connection so I'm not worried about connectivity but I just don't understand how an app can replace the functionality of a 4K DVR. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  I'd also love to hear from anyone who is finding 4K content from various sources and which ones.  THANKS!

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 40
ACE - Master

Re: DirecTV 4K ready TV's, 4K content

so you want to get rid of any dvr and record to the tv?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 40
Mentor

Here is the information from DirecTV:

A DIRECTV 4K Ready TV has a built-in RVU technology that lets you enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality without a receiver when it’s used as an additional TV in a Genie HD DVR setup.

Unless I'm not understanding correctly, this sounds as if they're eliminating the need for a receiver but I do not understand how you can record programs without a DVR...that's what I'm trying to find out.  A rep from DirecTV told me that in order to view 4K you need the latest genie DVR and an additional 4K mini but it sounds like once the TV gets the firmware update that makes it compatible as a "4K Ready TV" I no longer need the DVR.

Message 3 of 40
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by SharkByte
‎05-31-2016 11:19 AM

Right.  A 4k-ready TV that supports RVU doens't need a Genie Client box.  Essentially the Genie Client is the TV itself.   Client boxes aren't DVRs.  But you still need the Genie DVR somewhere in your DirecTV equipment list to actually record stuff.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 40
Mentor

Not quite correct. You will need the Genie HR54 connected to any non-DTV-ready TV. The DTV-ready TVs are connected using s DECA from the coax and Ethernet cable to the TV. Plus activation, location auhorization (using exact TV's MAC address) and programming upgrade to Ultimate. All that to watch 4K channels 104, 105 (PPV) and 105.
Message 5 of 40
Mentor

Not quite correct. You will need the Genie HR54 connected to any non-DTV-ready TV. The DTV-ready TVs are connected using s DECA from the coax and Ethernet cable to the TV. Plus activation, location auhorization (using each TV's MAC address) and programming upgrade to Ultimate. All that to watch 4K channels 104, 105 (PPV) and 105!
Message 6 of 40
ACE - Expert

@jcvandoren, what's not correct?  You do NOT need an HR54 Genie DVR connected to your 4K TV to get the 4K channels.  You just need to have an HR54 connected to any TV in your house.  For the 4K TV, you need a C61 Genie Client, or 4K RVU-ready TV. 

Message 7 of 40
Tutor

The techs that do the install don't even use the RVU connection, so you can use any 4K TV. They use 2 HDMI ports which takes away from your total avalaible HDMI ports and some newer TVs only have 3. All this to watch 3 channels,  ch104 which is the same stuff shown over and over, or PPV movies on ch105 for an outrageous $10.99 or more. Then there is ch106 which seldom has anything on it at all, maybe a concert of basket ball game. Bottom line, the current DirectTV 4k offerings are a waste of time and money. Best bet is to stream 4K content from Netflix or Amazon Prime, just make sure your 4K TV has apps that support 4K and HDR.

Message 8 of 40
Associated Member

As of 12/15/16 you only need Select/Mas Latino or above to get access to 4K channels

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 40
Contributor

Here's what I was told and I'm not happy with the answer.  If you don't have the Dtrectv certidied 4k ready TV which means it does not need a receiver you need a Geno mini, which you already know. The problem; you will only have the Geni as a receiver. In my case I have the Geni HR54 and two other HD receivers.  I have a 4k UHD TCL Roku 55" TV hooked to it. In order to get the 4k programming they want to gave the Geni Mini to replace the other two receivers, thus I loose their DVR capacity of just under a Terrabite, the Geni is a Terrabite so I go from almost 2 TB to 1TB and the Geni Mini's will record back  to the Host Geni. Makes no sense to me I shouls be able to do the 4k on the 4k UHD set connected to the Geni, I dont care about the other two sets. So either DTV is screwing us by cutting the number of receivers and thus cutting my storage in half or I spoke to a tech agent that was stupid. Anyone know better?

Message 10 of 40
Contributor

Here's what I was told and I'm not happy with the answer.  If you don't have the Dtrectv certidied 4k ready TV which means it does not need a receiver you need a Geno mini, which you already know. The problem; you will only have the Geni as a receiver. In my case I have the Geni HR54 and two other HD receivers.  I have a 4k UHD TCL Roku 55" TV hooked to it. In order to get the 4k programming they want to gave the Geni Mini to replace the other two receivers, thus I loose their DVR capacity of just under a Terrabite, the Geni is a Terrabite so I go from almost 2 TB to 1TB and the Geni Mini's will record back  to the Host Geni. Makes no sense to me I shouls be able to do the 4k on the 4k UHD set connected to the Geni, I dont care about the other two sets. So either DTV is screwing us by cutting the number of receivers and thus cutting my storage in half or I spoke to a tech agent that was stupid. Anyone know better?

Message 11 of 40
ACE - Expert

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv

C61 Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv OR Directv Ready RVU tv which has Client built in, must have internet for TV software updates. (C61 is preferred)

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Direcv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier)

Since the 4K tv would be a client, either by the built in RVU or using the Mini genie, it is an extension of the Genie and can record as such. It is hoped that the next generation of Genie/HDDVRs will have the updated HDMI port so you don't sacrifice recording space. The understanding is the HR54 was too far into production by the time the HDMI requirements for 4K updated.

One option is though you cannot increase the amount of tuners to the Genie, you can connect an eSATA HDDD to use instead of the internet for more recording space. Though not officially stated, people have used up to a 12TB HDD with the Genie.

Message 12 of 40
ACE - Expert

That is not true you can keep the HDDVRs and add a C61K mini. You will be charged for 4 TVs only you will only have three TVs.  The Genie doesn't really need to be connected to a TV.  You also have an option to add an external hard drive to any of the DVRs up to 2 TB on the HDDVRs or an unknown limit on the Genie for more storage but they replace the internal drive and like the internal drive the programs are encrypted and will not play on any other DVRs

Message 13 of 40
Mentor

Most of your information is correct, except this:
The DTV Genie CAN process and transmit 4K but only via the Genie Mini C61K,
due to limitations of HDMI on the Genie. Since they will charge you for at
least twoTVs anyway, it makes sense to connect the Genie to another, non-4K
TV via HDMI as I did. The Genie Mini is not a DVR, so yes it lacks
independent storage capacity.
As for your other DVRs, you should be able to keep the one on the 3rd TV
(assuming the Genie is connected to the 2nd). But it may make sense to
substitute a C41 Mini.
Five tuners on one DVR you can watch & record from any room beats the six
you now have but can only record from the room you're in. If you think you
need to have more then 1TB of storage, you're just not watching TV enough!
My setup includes:
Genie HR54 connected via HDMI to a small TV that doubles as a computer
monitor.
Three DTV-ready Samsung TVs via DECA (DTV-Ethernet-Coax-Adapters) including:
60" SUHD main TV in family room
50" UHD TV in master bedroom
32" HD TV in guest room. (Nobody makes a UHD TV smaller than 40")
No Minis needed, as Genie passes signal (UHD or HD) to the Samsungs' RVU
technology that your TVs probably don't have. Absent RVU, you do need the
Genie Mini(s) as described above.
John
Message 14 of 40
ACE - Expert

To clarify, I was not saying you couldn't use HDDVRs on other tvs. In my situation I have a Genie and 2 HDDVRs so in this example if I were to replace an HDDVR with a Mini I would loose recording capability which my household cannot afford.

Single tv households that want 4K would have the issue that the Genie would have to be connected by the normal AND client connection and the $7 is the per additional tv/client so would be the same cost as a 2 tv household.

For both of those points I am expecting, with good reason, that the next generation Genie or even HDDVR will have the updated ports so with the 4K connection you have not only the built in recording space, but the additional tuners, and single tv homes would have a more appropriate setup. In the meantime an external eSATA may be a good investment for some who need more space, but not more tuners. Such is the early days of true 4K programming.

Message 15 of 40
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support