Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data usage?

Highlighted
Contributor

Data usage?

A few days ago I was upgraded from a very old DVR to the current Genie model (HR54-200). When the serviceman connected the unit to WiFi I made sure to ask whether there would be any data usage unless I specifically requested something. He said there would not. I have a 15G monthly limit so I use my various WiFi  devices sparingly. I was surprised - no, SHOCKED! - to find the DVR used 12.3G in the first day! I had not ordered or clicked on anything but normal programming. What gives? Do I have to disable WiFi so I can still use my PC?

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: Data usage?

Yes, if you have that small of a data limit, you should disconnect the Genie from the internet. I believe that data usage is mainly from on demand program guide info. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

The tech is wrong, On Demand uses data to keep the On Demand guide up to date and each channel with an On Demand server has their own guide which is why there is so much data usage.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎01-25-2019 7:18 AM

On Demand has some usage in the background keeping the guide info up to date, as well as sending anonymous viewing data. When connected to internet for the 1st time, or if had been disconnected for a while, it has to do a mass download to get the On Demand channel information to start with.

For this reason it is highly recommended to not have it connected to any internet that is metered as it risks hitting your data cap/allowance. On your DirecTV box go into internet settings and under advanced settings to reset defaults as this will tell your Genie to forget your router name and password.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I blocked DirecTV at my router so the problem is solved. I wish I could still use the apps and even get a program now and then but it doesn't seem to be worth the risk. Can On Demand be turned off without disabling everything? My entire month's data is gone so I'm sitting here now with what amounts to a dial-up connection. I wish the serviceman had answered my question honestly and I wouldn't have this problem now.

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Expert

You turn off the DirecTV box's internet connection. You will not be able to use On Demand, or order PPVs by remote, but you can still watch your normal channels as they come from the satellite. So turn off that connection so that your router is not constantly working on blocking the connection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 6 of 7
Contributor

I have reset the Internet connection on the DVR and all is well, except, of course, for losing some functionality. That's how it will have to be, though, until I someday get a better (and unmetered) connection to the Internet. Thanks to all for your input.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support