Recently my DVR playback has been choopy, pixelated and freezing. At first I noticed it on the NFL ticket games, however the commercials remained OK, it was just the game that was choppy. Now I am noticing it on random recordings when my drive is showing between 30-35% available. I have a Genie, before they started calling them a genie (my guess is it is a Beta genie).
Do the hard drives in these ever get damaged in spots? Any way to repair without a new unit and losing all my recordings? Any advice?
Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:
* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test
You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.
The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.