Helpful Links

DVR Pixelation and freezing during playback

Tutor

DVR Pixelation and freezing during playback

Frequently when I record a program (no weather involved) I get freezing and pixelation when I play it back. Sometimes its intermittent and sometimes the entire show is unusable.  I have never had this problem watching live TV, even the same programs.  This past Sunday I recorded a football game and as soon as it started to record I started to watch the recording instead of the live program.  As soon as I started to get  pixelation I switched over to live TV and the picture was fine. I repeated this several times with the same results.

I talked to Direct TV and they had me perform a signal strength test which was OK.  They wanted to send out a repair person to check it out but if I can watch a program just fine but the same program recorded is all garbled  to me it can only mean that the DVR box is bad.

Message 1 of 28
ACE - Expert

Re: DVR Pixelation and freezing during playback

What model DVR do have ?

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 28
Tutor

I have an HD DVY, the one that allows recording of five programs at once.  It is about one year old.

Message 3 of 28
ACE - Expert

So you have a Genie DVR?  It's either an HR34 or HR44.   Have you tried the disk diagnostics?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Tutor

Have not done the disk yet, will try and do it today

Message 5 of 28
Contributor

Hi!

I Seem to have the same thing going on. I too have a Genie, and the freezing thing ONLY happens during the playback of NBC channel 5 in DFW area. Not all the time, but only on NBC ? I can SOMETIMES motor thru by advancing or reversing. Reboot no help. WEIRD,

Ray

Message 6 of 28
Contributor

I have had the same problem in Seattle, except it also occurred on the local Fox station.  The recorded programs were unviewable. Direct TV acted like they didn't know what it was and suggested I keep an eye on it and make notes if it happens again. I do not know it is happening unless I watch the recording.

Message 7 of 28
Tutor

OK, I ran the tests, both the hard drive and file test produced a bar that said passed.  I'm not sure what that is telling me or what to do next?

Thanks for the ongoing help!

Message 8 of 28
ACE - Expert

weflood,

It's probably best to let them send a service tech, especially if you can easily demonstrate and reproduce the problem.  The tech can replace your DVR, or perhaps fix some other problem.  Let us know what the tech finds.

Message 9 of 28
ACE - Expert

If it's just happening with your NBC station, then it's a known issue affecting a small percentage of HR34 Genie DVRs.  Replacing the HR34 with an HR44 is the only currently known solution. Call DirecTV.

Message 10 of 28
Tutor

Its not possible to demonstrate the problem because you never know when it will strike.  It does not do it all the time.

Message 11 of 28
ACE - Expert

Did you keep that football recording that freezes at the same spot each time?  That would be good evidence for the service tech.

Message 12 of 28
Teacher

I had the same problem. I have a Genie DVR, HR34. It only pixelizes on recorded programs on NBC in Sacramento. This problem has been ongoing for at least 6 months and I don't think Directv will ever fixed this. Some people have suggested it is the signal feed from NBC; others have suggested it is hardware, the DVR. If its the DVR, why is it only happening on NBC for me and others??? If it's the signal feed, it should occur on both "live" and "recorded" programs at the same time. Has anybody, who switched from HR34 to HR44, solved this problem of pixelation? If so, then I'm convinced it's the DVR.

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

Yes, changing to an HR44 has solved this problem for folks with the "NBC Pixelation on HR34" issue.

Message 14 of 28
Teacher

Thank you for your response. I'd like to hear more responses from others who have switched from HR34 to HR44 to see if it actually fixed this NBC pixelation issue.

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support