Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DTV install next week, want to ensure 4K capability

Highlighted
Tutor

DTV install next week, want to ensure 4K capability

Hi, have read many posts/blogs/etc. but am still not clear so thought I'd ask here.  I just signed up as a new DTV customer, installation is next week, and I want to ensure 4K capability.  This is a single-TV house.  My install instructions say "Genie" DVR will be installed (doesn't say exactly what model though).  The TV is LG65SJ8000, which is a 4K UHD television with four HDCP 2.2 HDMI ports.  Will this setup be sufficient to be able to receive 4K signal on channels 104-106?  Or do I need to actually buy a television that is "DirecTV compatible", or need some other hardware to attach to the Genie??

Many thanks for any help/info, would like to figure this out BEFORE the installer is here so I can get everything installed correctly from the start.

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by chrisbern
‎02-01-2019 2:24 PM

Re: DTV install next week, want to ensure 4K capability

You have to have an HR54 Genie to get the 4K channels and a C61K mini connected to the 4K TV to watch them in 4K.  We don't recommend the HS17 Genie2 do to all the bugs it has.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 22
Tutor

Hi @shannon02, many thanks for the quick and thorough reply!  I will call DTV sales and make sure the installation/order includes both the HR54 Genie and a C61K mini. 

Message 3 of 22
Tutor

So...I called AT&T/DTV sales to make sure my installation order is correct in order to view 4K.

Eventually I was told that I do not need the C61K mini because this is a single TV installation—I was told the Genie would suffice.

Then I asked what exact Genie model I will be getting and after putting me on hold to look it up, he said an HR44. I then said I’ve been told I need at least an HR54, to which he replied the 44 would suffice for 4K viewing, and reiterated that I did not need the mini Genie either. BTW this is exactly what a different salesperson had told me yesterday.

What gives?  I’m guessing the salespeople are wrong?  But how do I change my installation order if the salespeople who I rely on to edit the order don’t seem to know what it is I will need??  

I’m just trying to avoid the installer getting out here and telling me “oh I had no idea you needed 4K and therefore can’t install it today...”. Thx for any help!!

Message 4 of 22
Teacher

Dont get 4k nothing else will work its junk

Message 5 of 22
ACE - Professor

The sales reps have no clue about 4k, you'll need the 54 AND the c61k even though you only have one TV, the order has to reflect 4k, in order for the system to add the correct equipment,  I strongly recommend that you cancel the order and start over. Make sure that you check the confirmation email after the new order is placed,  if it doesn't reflect 4k, then rinse, repeat.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 22
ACE - Expert

Yes they wrong as they have no clue what Genie you will get, but check with the tech to make sure they have the HR54/C61K mini if not refuse the install and call/chat DTV again.  The HR54 was to far into production to change the HDMI port to the HDMI 2.0 port needed for 4K so it can never output 4K over HDMI only the C61K mini can output 4K.

The HR44 can't get the 4K channels but can record and play the 4K PPV movies to the C61K mini.  Unfortunately you will have to pay for two TVs even though you only have one so maybe you can get another non 4K TV to connect to the HR54. 

Message 7 of 22
Tutor

Ok thanks @shannon02 and @nabukl   Your answers were very helpful!  

One last question pleaseif I may, before I call sales, what about the comment above “Dont get 4k nothing else will work its junk”.

Are there any negative consequences to getting the 4K setup (HR54+C61K) versus just sticking with the HR44, other than of course viewing 4K content?  I want 4K but naturally not if other major functionality is somehow worse or whatever— just wasn’t sure where that poster’s comment came from.

Many thanks for any advice!

Message 8 of 22
ACE - Expert

@chrisbern wrote:

Ok thanks @shannon02 and @nabukl   Your answers were very helpful!  

One last question pleaseif I may, before I call sales, what about the comment above “Dont get 4k nothing else will work its junk”.

Are there any negative consequences to getting the 4K setup (HR54+C61K) versus just sticking with the HR44, other than of course viewing 4K content?  I want 4K but naturally not if other major functionality is somehow worse or whatever— just wasn’t sure where that poster’s comment came from.

Many thanks for any advice!

No negative consequences if you get an HR54 Genie.  Just stay away from the HS17 Genie2 Server.  Not ready for prime time.

Also realize that there's currently very little 4K programming.

Message 9 of 22
Tutor

Thank you @litzdog911 that makes perfect sense. I will avoid the HS17 and I am aware there isn’t much 4K content. 

Message 10 of 22
ACE - Expert

Only 2 channels in 4K, plus a few PPVs.

Requires 3rd generation Genie (HR54) and a 4K Client on the 4K TV itself. Must have 4K on the order to guarantee correct equipment and proper install.

This is not recommended for a single TV home as you will be charged as if you have a 2nd TV.

Supporting the 4K Client is the only benefit of the HR54 over the HR44.

Genie-2 (HS17) is restrictive by design (forbids other HDDVRs from being on the account) and has post launch bugs.

As is a Client only system run by a server tower, it does not have the billing issue for a single TV home with a 4K setup.

Unlike the HR54 it can support up to 2 Clients using a 4K channel at the same time.

If post launch issues ever get resolved it might be fine for a one or two TV household. More than that and it forbidding HDDVRs becomes an issue.

So an order for a Genie is fine regardless of getting HR44 or HR54 (if tech has HR34 refuse install. Have heard of the rare tech who still had one even though discontinued a few years ago). Don't worry about 4K content at this time as it is the early days. Of course read the order confirmation that DirecTV sends you before your appointment just to make sure everything as expected for amount and length of specials and level of equipment.

Message 11 of 22
Tutor

Thank you again everyone for the quick and thorough responses. Seriously impressed by this community forum and how much its members contribute!!

So my order is now set up with 4K service and it looks like I’m good to go for my installation later this week. I wanted to mention one thing that will hopefully help someone else in the future. When I called the sales/order line back again today to get 4K added to my order, the salesperson literally didn’t even seem to know what 4K is. However, what dawned on me is I keep calling the sales/order number on which I placed the original order. BUT that phone number came from an AT&T fixed wireless internet advertisement, which is what I originally called to order—DirecTV was an add-on. So what occurred to me is I’m not talking to DTV sales, but rather more general AT&T sales, which is why I kept getting salespeople who really didn’t know what they were talking about once it got a level deeper in the DTV side of things.

So, I called DTV customer service (800-531-5000), and within seconds I could tell the guy knew exactly what I needed. He adjusted the order easily and sent me a confirmation email immediately which showed 4K and mini-Genie ($7/Mo addl cost but no equipment charge). He also confirmed I’d get an HR54. 

Moral of of the story—you can probably place basic DTV orders with any sales team at AT&T, but if you want more expertise or nuance, try the DTV phone line itself. 

Thanks again to everyone—I’m looking forward to getting service installed in a few days!!

Message 12 of 22
ACE - Expert

Glad you got it sorted out. It is unfortunate you pay the $7 monthly as if you had a 2nd TV just to get 2 channels. HR54 was too far into production when the 4K requirements updated on HDMI 2.0 which is why on the Client connection can be used.

Remember since HR54 and the 4K Client are 2 different TV connections, you will change your TV's input going between the 2 devices.

Message 13 of 22
Tutor

Good tip on the input switch @Juniper, thanks!

Message 14 of 22
Teacher

Dont do it 4k is no good ur on demand will stop working im serious 

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support