Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Contacted by direct tv

Highlighted
Contributor

Contacted by direct tv

I just received a phone call from DIRECTV wanting my information on my account settings on my receiver saying that I had to pay $1200 for new upgrade and satellite location is this true? 

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Contacted by direct tv

I would say scam as there are no account settings on the receivers and it is $49 to move the dish and you would only need an upgrade if you only have SD receivers as DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 SD channels in April and it is free.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Evilinda
‎12-09-2018 10:54 AM

Re: Contacted by direct tv

@Evilinda wrote:

I just received a phone call from DIRECTV wanting my information on my account settings on my receiver saying that I had to pay $1200 for new upgrade and satellite location is this true? 

That was a scam using a scare tactic. Glad you didn't fall for it. They are using the knowledge that DirecTV is shutting down some outdated feeds in a few months to try and trick people.

Now as for what is happening with the update to service. DirecTV is shutting down the last of their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds in April 2019. They have sent out emails to affected customers letting them know of a complimentary swap option that is free. Of course when you call about the free option, agents do discuss an upgrade as well (they are expected to "upsell" services and equipment) but upgrades are optional. What are the model numbers of each box you have? This would confirm if you have any MPEG-2 only boxes and need to contact DirecTV before April. If you do, just make sure you call their official customer service number 1-800-531-5000 and not callback whatever number you may have been given by that prior scam artist. (even if caller ID showed DirecTV and correct number, it is too easy to spoof that info these days).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn more about your DIRECTV account. View DIRECTV Account Help!
Additional Support