Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
ACE - Expert

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

@macabear1 wrote:

.... NO ONE ELSE IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM. Not Dish Network, Not Comcast, Not Mediacom, just ATT/DTV..

Yeah, they have this issue, too.  Just check their support forums.  HDCP is being required by most networks with all service providers, not just DirecTV.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 91 of 119
Contributor

My bedroom receiver has been showing the error for a few months now . My main watching room just started two days ago so now both do it. 

As gor for software updates usually you get a notice that ones available. But I’m going to check to make sure . 

On in the bed room set unplugging the cable then plugging it in solve the issue on the directv box  . I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned that certain HD channels won’t show until the stupid warning is removed. 

HDMI cables just don’t go bad especially on multiple sets . 

If if you need a cable go to monoprice .   Com 

and don’t get ripped off . 

Why have I not heard of issues with other providers ? 

Message 92 of 119
Employee

I use this crude solution: turn on the TV.  Wait until it gets its brain together. THEN turn on the DTV 4k genie mini.

If you blindly hit the power button on the remote and both go on, yielding that INFURIATING error message "Your TV (new shiny fresh out of the box and directly connected) doesn't support 4K", power-cycle the genie mini via its front-panel button.

Kudos to @paschrh for the analysis. Clearly the bugs are still being shaken out of the 4k equipment. Ah the joys of being an early adopter.

Disclaimer: I am an employee, I don't speak for the company.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 93 of 119
Contributor

Thank you for the advice! It worked perfectly!!! 

Message 94 of 119
Contributor

I just started having this problem and when I called customer service guess what they told me? Yes I got the same load of B**S that everyone else has. They told me to switch to component cables. I have found that if I turn the direct tv box off and then back on without turning the tv off it will temporary solve the problem. I guess this makes it attempt the hand shake again. 

I have been with direct tv for about 25 years service has went way down since they were bought by att. If they don't solve this problem soon I won't make 26 years. 

Message 95 of 119
Contributor

I called Direct TV and explained this problem...The Direct TV "tech support" guy said I definitely need a new HDMI cable...I disagreed with him...he didnt suggest any solution other than trying to sell a  cable they would send to me...I said it wasn't the cable...so I read this post and unplugged receiver for a minute then plugged it back in...it works like a charm now...SHAME on Direct TV!!

Message 96 of 119
Teacher

I got 'component' cables free from them and the serviceman switched the DTV system on my set from HDMI to the component cable and my problem was solved.
Message 97 of 119
Tutor

We get that message periodically. What works for us is to turn everything off and on again.

Message 98 of 119
Teacher

While I solved the problem permanently with the device I mentioned in my earlier post (several months now, and have not gotten the message once since then vs every time I turned on the system previously), I got an email from this forum letting me know that there was a new post, and just read the thread again and was surprised that people are still suffering this issue.  To everyone that has been conned into “fixing the problem” by switching to  component cables, you should know that you are NOT getting 4k quality video from your 4k genie to your 4k (uhd) tv over that cable...it is significantly degrading the picture quality on you.  The only way you are going to get 4k video from the 4k genie is via an hdmi cable.  If that gives you the error message described in this post, then I’d really suggest fixing it using a device like I did...forty bucks was definitely worth it for me, and I bet you can get those (or similar units) cheaper if you look around.  Just don’t let directv sucker you with their ill-informed baloney!

Message 99 of 119
Contributor

Didn't see the earlier post. What device do you mean?
Message 100 of 119
Mentor

But now you can't get 4K on your 4K Genie ststem.
Going to the component cables WILL fix the problem but only because component cables don't look for the HDCP signal like when using an HDMI cable. 
Using component cables WILL solve your problem, DirecTV doesn't have to fix their issue, but you're now left backing up technologically with the lower picture quality that was available before HDMI cables were even invented. And THAT'S the real issue I have with getting the false error message. DIRECTV doesn't feel they need to solve the problem, yet they are providing the SERVICE that their customers are PAYING to receive. 
It's almost as bad as having to deal with crappy landlords who won't fix tennant''s issues.
Message 101 of 119
Teacher

dcdavis67, the device I bought, which totally eliminated the problem for me AND gives me 4k video (unlike Directv’s component-cable “solution” which drops video quality down to 1080), was the “Monoprice 115242 Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4”, which was forty bucks on Amazon ( http://a.co/d/hBZz7H5 ). There are possibly lower-cost solutions, but this one totally solved the issue for my Samsung UHD tv.

Message 102 of 119
Employee

So that $40 box on Amazon is a converter: use an old TV talking HDCP 1.4 with a new machine that sends HDCP 2.2. This brings up two questions for me:

Can someone please post the version(s) of the HDMI/HDCP protocol that are supported by the latest DirecTV 4k mini box? 

Has anyone figured out where to find that protocol version number in the menus in their TV, or is it only in the fine print in an owner's manual?

Thx in advance.

p.s. I'm posting here as a happy subscriber, but I'm also a T employee (not direcTv) and have zero influence on anything Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 103 of 119
Teacher

Chrisinmtown, You correctly stated what the box was originally designed for, but in this usage it doesn’t matter what version of hdcp your tv supports (ie could be 1.4, or 2.2, or 2.3, etc.)...the point of putting the box between your 4k genie and the tv is for the “box” to respond to the genie quickly enough to the hdcp handshake that the directv software is happy and does not give the stupid error. The genie then merrily sends the 4k video out the hdmi, it passes through the box to the tv, and all is well, with no quality degradation.  Annoying to have to buy one of these, but for me it was worth $40 to get 4k video on my $3500 tv, and saves me the aggravation of having to deal with the ill-informed tech “support” people at directv who have no useful solution to offer anyway, and seem incapable after many months of getting their dev team to fix this bug...

Message 104 of 119
Contributor

Simply put, this is inexcusable. DirecTV has been garbage since i got the system, and this is just another in a litany of problems I don’t need to deal with. They either need to fix this soon, or get ready for a bunch of returned equipment. 

Message 105 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support