Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
Teacher

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

This message did not appear 'until DTV' did some sort of **update** that also changed the screen appearance of guide lists and DVR list and a lot of other things. I will try the, (hopefully permanent), solutions. But I hope this isn't something due to do the net 'neutrality repeal', affecting, eventually a new *cost*, plan or inconvenience.

Thank you.

Lois G.

Message 76 of 119
Teacher

And another thing the message pops up so fast I can't do anything 'then' if I did know what button to push. I think 'that' is deliberate too!!

Only time will tell...................

Message 77 of 119
Teacher

Me too. I unplugged everything and pressed the reset button and refreshed the satellite. My previous solution was 'not permanent' Message came back on the next morning. Have genie 3 HR54-200. Already using HDMI cable in previous set up before the company screen changes, etc.

Message 78 of 119
Contributor

What what does invalid format mean on screen in yellow letters bottom right if screen 

Message 79 of 119
Teacher

I called DTV and I needed to get a component cable. They sent it free. Now I have to deal with the fact that my roku is HDMI. The samsung TV HDMI goes to the roku before the DTV box. There is 'no' component cable port on the roku. Now what do I do? Is there anything that does what a roku does and uses component cable ports? Also sent me 2 'composite' cables. Now will my Amazon fire stick work in my TV for Netflix? Maybe the composite cables hook up 'some'where in this mess. That's more money spent to try to keep things in the correct alignment to still be able to hook up things serially to have what I had before the composite cable was needed.

Help!!

Lois

Message 80 of 119
ACE - Expert

@lgaret wrote:

I called DTV and I needed to get a component cable. They sent it free. Now I have to deal with the fact that my roku is HDMI. The samsung TV HDMI goes to the roku before the DTV box. There is 'no' component cable port on the roku. Now what do I do? Is there anything that does what a roku does and uses component cable ports? Also sent me 2 'composite' cables. Now will my Amazon fire stick work in my TV for Netflix? Maybe the composite cables hook up 'some'where in this mess. That's more money spent to try to keep things in the correct alignment to still be able to hook up things serially to have what I had before the composite cable was needed.

Help!!

Lois

You should be able to connect your Roku to your TV's HDMI Input, and connect your DirecTV box using the Component Video cables. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 81 of 119
Teacher

They sent me the wrong cables. The Roku doesn't have ports for component cable. The lady I talked to said I don't need a Roku for my DVD player. She's now sending me a composite cable with "ten pin" at one end. The lady said I was so nice and worked so hard with her, that she's sending a tech to me FREE!
For *most people* it us a $99 charge unless you PAY for a $7.95 a month for help with things like these. I'm getting there.

I say again and no one can talk me out of it, this down grade is so that DTV can control what we watch and how they're going to make us PAY for. I believe the 'packages' will change and not to our advantage. These changes have something to do with the repeal of net neutrality 'I' think.

Thank you.

Lois Garrett

Message 82 of 119
ACE - Expert

@lgaret wrote:
They sent me the wrong cables. The Roku doesn't have ports for component cable. The lady I talked to said I don't need a Roku for my DVD player. She's now sending me a composite cable with "ten pin" at one end. The lady said I was so nice and worked so hard with her, that she's sending a tech to me FREE!
For *most people* it us a $99 charge unless you PAY for a $7.95 a month for help with things like these. I'm getting there.

I say again and no one can talk me out of it, this down grade is so that DTV can control what we watch and how they're going to make us PAY for. I believe the 'packages' will change and not to our advantage. These changes have something to do with the repeal of net neutrality 'I' think.

Thank you.

Lois Garrett

It's not clear what you're trying to connect to what.  Your Roku and DVD Player have nothing to do with each other.  Your Roku, DVD Player, and DirecTV box are all OUTPUT devices.  They have no video INPUTS.  Each needs its own connection to your TV's Video INPUTs.  

What model is your DirecTV box?  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 83 of 119
Teacher

The DTV representative told me I don't need a Roku anyway. DVD player HDMI will hook up into the HDMI port on TV. DTV box component cable will hook up to those ports on the TV to 10 pin plug on box. TV. Fire stick plugs into the back of my TV HDMI port.
With the Roku not being needed, this seems simpler. I hope I can do this since I hopefully understand things a little more. There's also changing the pixels from 1080i down to 760 on this new setup - which I can do under 'source' then 'settings' on my TV remote. I'll let you know how it goes. I will only have to change the source on the TV remote depending on whether I am using HDMI1, HDMI2, or component ports..
Thx.

Message 84 of 119
Mentor

The issue is with DirecTV's Genie 4k system. It's caused by the Genie receiver and the 4k UHDTV not making the HDCP authentication handshake. 
DirecTV is recommending that the user get component cables instead of the HDMI cable in order to view the content. However, in doing so, the resolution is dropped to 1080p at best and a 4K signal cannot be obtained. Also, the Genie 4K receiver does not have component outputs, so that recommendation isn't feasible. 
But component cables are only a band-aid to the real problem. The HDCP authentication lasts for only about 20 ms. This is from the time the receiver sends authentication signal until the time it is supposed to receive the return "handshake" signal. If either the TV or the Genie 4K receiver isn't ready to receive this signal, the HDCP authentication handshake never occurs and the viewer gets the message that their TV isn't 4K compatible when in fact, it actually is. 
I believe the whole thing could be fixed by DIRECTV if they would do one of two things: 1) wait a couple of seconds more before attempting the single attempt at the HDCP handshake, or 2) attempt the HDCP handshake every second for the first 10 seconds the unit is powered on or until the handshake is successful, whichever comes first. I think either solution could be remedied via a firmware update. Not sure why it hasn't been resolved already. But it doesn't help DirecTV's image recommending a customer set up their $10,000 4K home theater system to receive a signal through component cables when they boast their Genie system and it's 4K signal capability. That's just nuts.
Message 85 of 119
Teacher

I don't have a 4kUHDTV. I also have just a Genie 3 not a 4. The tech is coming out tomorrow. (Well, it's planned that way so far). I expect you have much more of a problem with your home theater system. Good luck. I'll let the forum know when I have everything fixed. But then.....will it ever be 'really' fixed permanently???
One can only hope.

Message 86 of 119
Teacher

This is clearly a bug with the DirecTV GenieMini software release, as it was working perfectly prior to the software update.  That said, DirecTV is terrible about fixing problems with their buggy software, so I’m not holding my breath for a fix, especially now that it has been several months since they broke it, and the tech support people are still trying so send out component cables to “solve it”, and seem stupidly oblivious to the fact that 4k content will never work on such a cable (it will downsample to HD).  All of that said, for a few bucks you can work around their bug with a device that will handshake with their buggy protection implementation.  I used this one, for $41 on Amazon, and it makes the stupid directv error message go away:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CT7THLO

Message 87 of 119
Teacher

The DTV technician came out and changed the hook ups to the new way DTV wants and it has been fine ever since. The tech said they are doing this to protect the copy rights of the shows. He said people have been recording,(pirating), shows/movies from DTV to their personal DVR recording equipment. He said the government has required DTV to do this.
Don't know a thing about 4K ultra TV's. Hope you find a cure for yours.
Lois

Please type your reply above this line -##
Message 88 of 119
Teacher

Sounds to me that hey don't want people recording to a device that isn't theirs.. Meaning, you aren't paying ATT/DTV for a DVR box. Problem is, it's screwing up the "handshake" with their own equipment.. 

Let me repeat this: THIS IS AN ATT/DIRECT TV PROBLEM. NO ONE ELSE IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM. Not Dish Network, Not Comcast, Not Mediacom, just ATT/DTV..

It's about money.

Message 89 of 119
ACE - Expert

It is the channels that don't want you pirating their programs that implemented HDCP that is causing handshaking problems. 

Message 90 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support