Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
Teacher

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

Another thing too... The "supervisor" I spoke to the other day insinuated that all digital providers either are or will have this problem as they "update" the protection requirements.. 

As far as I know, no one else is having this issue. 

Message 61 of 119
Mentor

LOL! If your Genie receiver is like mine, there is NOWHERE to plug in component cables into the back of the box. Even if there was, you no longer can receive a 4k signal. Even if it doesn't cost anything, it's an advertised service that doesn't work and doesn't offer the physical option to even plug in component cables into the equipment to make it work at a less resolution. A set of rabbit ears would have provided the same solution. They wouldn't work with the DirecTV service, either. 

Message 62 of 119
Mentor

It's really funny (but not really). I've called DirecTV about a half dozen times about this problem. Each time, they start from square one and ask the same silly troubleshooting questions instead of looking on my account to see what they have tried and what they haven't. I told the CSR that this problem is plastered all over the internet message boards and on websites as well but it doesn't seem anything has been done to fix it. He responded like he had never heard of the problem before. Like it hasn't already been documented. Anywhere.  smh

Message 63 of 119
Mentor

Cable companies seem to be coping with the HDCP issue that "everyone" will be having just fine. I think DirecTV is trying to shed the problem by making excuses...

Message 64 of 119
Teacher

While my box does have ports for cables, I refuse to use them . It reduces a Digital HDTV to an analog television. Period. As paschrh alluded to, I am paying for HD television. The answer can't be to use analog cables. 

I too have called AT&T several times and been through the same thing every time. And, to have a "supervisor" tell me to basically go pound sand, and that the answer is analog cables, says a lot about AT&T and Direct TV as a whole. What they were and what they have become.

And you're right... Cable companies have had NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE with the program protection..

This is an AT&T/Direct TV problem.. 

Message 65 of 119
Mentor

I got to reading up on this HDCP scenario. It involves a "handshake" between the Genie receiver and your 4k capable equipment. The Genie bis sends a handshake signal out for about 20ms. If it is not authorized during that very short length if time, you'l get the error message. So even though the connected equipment IS compatible, unless it is powered up to receive the handshake signal, it won' allow the signal to pass and the error message appears. Seems like if DirecTV would put a two or three second delay on transmitging the handshake signal, it would solve all this frustration. Just allow the other components a couple of seconds to power up, THEN send the handshake signal. My 'lowly and less-educated' way of thinking says this would probably work and successfully connect and eliminate the error message. A simple firmware update with the added delay might be all it needs...but what do I know. I'm just an ME. Electronics eludes me. Sarcasm intended... 😂

Message 66 of 119
Contributor

I have tried everything suggested in the forums — upgrading tv firmware, wiping receiver cache, different hdmi cable.  The only thing that worked was unplugging and replugging the cable at the receiver or tv.  So I decided to get an hdmi switch to make the chore easier.  And guess what?  That fixed it!  For all of $6!  Mine is a cheap 3-port switch and I can’t guarantee that any switch will work, but I’m taking the win!
Message 67 of 119
Contributor

HDMI Is a much higher resolution than component cables.  Why would you ever want to downgrade your equipment! 

Message 68 of 119
ACE - Expert

No, component carries the same hD signals as HDMI (except for 4K which is a special case). It can even carry 1080p (which is only used for some PPV) but the studios won't allow it. I think you are confusing it with composite video.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 69 of 119
Mentor

Component can carry HD but not 4K.
Message 70 of 119
Teacher

It sure is a much higher resolution than component cables if your watching
4k. But component cables will support 1080i, which is what Directv
broadcast it’s high def in. 1080p is just a little bit sharper of an image
because every time the screen refreshes you get a whole new image as
compared to 1080i you only get half the image every time the screen
refreshes.
Message 71 of 119
Teacher

That’s news to me. I see some pretty high end and low end TVs and they all have at least 1 component cable hook up. Some brand do opt for the headphone jack adapter to save on space but it’s still a working component hookup

Message 72 of 119
Mentor

But the original issue was that people are supposed to be getting a 4k signal but the HDCP "handshake" between the Genie 4k receiver and the 4k TV is unsuccessful. This gives the message about equipment being incompatible and suggesting the customer use component cables to watch the service with an inferior signal. The problem is. Most Genie 4k receivers don't have component outputs. They have only HDMI, so component can't be used. Even if it could, it's a cop-out for DirecTV to suggest a lower resolution on a 4k system instead of addressing and helping fix the problem.
Message 73 of 119
Mentor

The lack of a component output is not with the 4k TV. It's with the Genie 4k receiver. It has no component outputs. Only HDMI. Therefore, even if the customer wanted to back up from 4k to 1080 for whatever insan reason, it's impossible without purchasing some sort of HDMI to component adapter. DirecTV just needs to take a harder look at this issue, as customers trying to compensate for their continuing problem is unacceptable.
The root problem seems to be when the Genie receiver is trying to make the HDCP handshake to the TV. However, when this attempt is being made, the TV isn't completely on (still booting up, so to speak) and is missing the 20ms signal from the receiver. The TV is supposed to also acknowledge the signal in this 20ms span. Since the receiver doesn't get this HDCP signal from the TV, it thinks the TV is incompatible and won't send the signal for the picture and the sound, and also gives the message about using component cables.
I honestly believe that if DirecTV modified the firmware on their Genie receivers to attempt the HDCP handshake a couple of seconds later, this problem could be eliminated.
Just my two cents.
Message 74 of 119
Teacher

Gotchya. I’ve seen a few times with Black Friday TVs and a few Vizio TVs
that popped up as non 4k compatible. Even had 2 Vizios that were the same
model, bought on the same day from the same store. One worked with the 4K
genie and the other wouldn’t.
Message 75 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support