Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
Contributor

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

We have also been getting this error. I found that switching the format resolution seems to "trick" it but it doesn't last. I go down to 480, the picture comes back on, then I can switch it all the way back to the highest resolution and it stays on until we turn the box off or switch inputs. I tried Clear My Box but it didn't work and I can't update the software on my television-there isn't a newer version.

Message 46 of 119
Contributor

Didn't help. When I did this, I didn't have volume, when I plugged back in. Had to turn off at box to get both volume and video. If I turn box on by remote, this is when problem occurs. 

Message 47 of 119
Tutor

I have this problem constantly in the morning with my Samsung Series 6 4k tv. This only happens on the 4k tv with the 4k genie, we have three other flat screen tvs on wireless genies with no problems whatsoever. The directv techs have been out twice with no luck. I've tried everything suggested here. I just unplugged my tv for 10 minutes so I will see if that works. This message used to come on once in a while with the old directv software but now comes on every time I turn on my set with the new software. Changing to another input (Apple TV) before I get the message can defeat this problem, but I shouldn't have to do this every time I turn on my tv! I've swapped HDMI cables, used the new one provided by Directv. This is a problem with Directv's new software and I am getting to the end of my patience - fix your software!!

Message 48 of 119
Contributor

I had all my cables, connectors, wires replaced twice, n new cable box, 3 technicns, all fail to give me ba k the good service I had. Told me go get another tv, that it wasn't compatible to box , so now terrible service, i plan to cancel my service soon
Message 49 of 119
Teacher

Try going into display settings and unchecking all the boxes in resolution
except 720. You might have to watch tv in 720 and not 1080i
Message 50 of 119
Mentor

No doubt that it can probably be made to work at a lower resolution; however, personally, a customer shouldn't have to kick, wiggle, shake, change resolution, or otherwise coax, persuade, or pacify any piece of rented equipment to get any service to work. I understand what you're saying, and others might be willing, but I didn't sign up for two years to be given equipment that doesn't work as it should. It's a headache that we, the customers, shouldn't have. This problem should have been fixed by DirecTV within three days, but they are still dragging their feet...
Message 51 of 119
Mentor

I've got a 75" top of the line LG 4K set bought in June of last year. The following week, I had the Genie whole home system installed and it worked fine for several months. Then I started getting the message. Hasn't stopped yet and I've made no changes to any of the system setups. HAS to be something DirecTV did with one of their upgrades. 
Message 52 of 119
Tutor

I want to add that since I have unplugged my Samsung 4k tv for 10 minutes I have only received the copy protection warning once. Seems to work for several days at a time, better than getting the message every time I turned on my set.

Message 53 of 119
Teacher

Yep, been there done that.. Got the T-shirt. I just got off the phone with ATT/Direct TV support and their answer is to use analog component cables.. LOL... I even talked to a supervisor and explained to her that this only happens on the Genie DVR in the den.. Not one single bedroom does this. I have reset, replaced HDMI cables, etc...

They have reset my service through the "line". Technician came out and changed my resolution and then put it back.. No luck..

It will work for a short time, but after a week or so, it starts. Like I mentioned earlier, I called tech services and talked to a rep and then her supervisor. They were zero help. Every excuse they gave I responded with a logical question...

Such as:

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "So, what you need to understand that it can take a month, 6 months, a year or maybe even 2 years after an update is sent out for it to impact, uhhh, like this."

Me: So, what you're saying is that all of your customers are having this problem?

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "No, not necessarily". "There are different "things" that get affected."

Me: Okay.... So what does that mean?

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "So yeah, the problem here is that your TV's content protection isn't working."

Me: So you're saying this is a problem with my 1 year old Samsung? That this problem predates my newest TV?

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "No, it is not specific to any brand of television."

Me: I don't understand what your saying?

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "Can I send you some information in a text or email?"

Me: You can send me whatever you want.

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "Thanks"..

They send me a link to the support page. Nothing specific, just support home page. 

ATT/Direct TV Tech Supervisor: "So, what you need to do is swap to component cables. I'll send them to you"..

Me: I don't want component cables. I want my TV to work the way it should. I am paying for digital HD television and the snawer can't be to use analog cables. 

From this point, it was the same nonsense being repeated. I told her to send me the cables because when I cancel my service, I don't want them to say that I refused the offer to "fix" the problem. 

I will leave ATT and direct TV. I have wireless from ATT but I bought 2 new iphones because of the purpouseful slowing down of our old phones. So if that gets corrected, I will leave them completely. Wireless and all. 

I am through with them...

Message 54 of 119
ACE - Expert

When the HDCP software gets updated then all components that use it need to be updated also, DTV sends out an update, the TV makers do the same but unless you TV is connected to the internet it will not get it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 55 of 119
Teacher

My television is already connected to the internet. Connected and up to date.
Message 56 of 119
Teacher

***DELETED*** double post

Message 57 of 119
ACE - Expert

Try plugging the HDMI into another HDMI port on the TV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 58 of 119
Teacher

I did.. Same thing..

Message 59 of 119
Teacher

Here's AT&T's answer to their problem... ladies and gentleman, I give you the component cables.... LOL.... They actually sent me these. 

Analog cables are/is the answer... 

Cables.jpgLaughing out loud right now...

Message 60 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support