Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
Scholar

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

I finally figured this out.  The "On" signal was not getting to both my television and the mini-Genie hidden behind it on the wall mount.  Solution:  Stand where you have line of sight to both when you push the "On" button.

Message 16 of 119
Scholar

See my solution.

Message 17 of 119
Scholar

This problem did not start occurring until the latest software downgrade.  Go figure.

Message 18 of 119
Contributor

Getting the same message on my TV. Tried changing HDMI ports and HDMI cables but still had the messasge.Called DIRECTV and was told there is an update issue that had been going on since 12/5/2017. The rep told me she had a memo in front of her about something called A CADIE HDMI issue that is affecting many HD receivers and that their engineers are working to resolve the issue. But that they had no idea when the issue would get fixed. They did promise me a credit dating back to the beginning of December.

Message 19 of 119
Mentor

Did the HDMI cable replacement solve the problem or was the problem solved by disconnecting the original HDMI cable to replace it? My CSR told me to unplug the cable completely and swap the connecting ends with the devices. I thought HDMI was bidirectional...?

Message 20 of 119
Mentor

And what if this "handshake" problem keeps occurring over and over again, but not every time the system is powered up? A one-time reset wouldn't keep it from happening again when everything is powered down or if there were a power outage...

Message 21 of 119
ACE - Expert

HDCP involves three things the DTV receiver, the cable and the TV. When HDCP gets updated,then DTV updates the receiver, then the TV maker updates their software but unless the TV is connected to the internet that update doesn't get to the TV so check to see if your TV has the latest update.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 119
Teacher

Yes, I replaced my HDMI cable and the problem was resolved.
Message 23 of 119
Contributor

Pit is clear many have problem but no one has a clue what to do about it

Message 24 of 119
Contributor

I have a HR22-100 that had this problem along with slow channel changing and slow remote control response.

Nothing worked to resolve this issue until I did a CLEARMYBOX reset. This is not the same as pushing the red reset button or unplugging the receiver. CLEAR MY BOX is an Directv operating system command that clears out the accumulation of leftover updates and temporary files similar to what happens in your computer. It cleans out unwanted junk from the cache and ram that are sometimes broken registry entrys. All of this junk slows down the operating system and causes several problems.

The CLEARMYBOX comment will not erase your recordings nor your settings. It must be noted that after the command has cleaned out the receiver box it will appear as though all your recordings and settings have disappeared. Don’t worry they will return after the receiver has downloaded and reinitiated the receiver with new data. This can take a very long time so be patient.  

Select MENU in your remote control.

Select SEARCH & BROWSE on the Menu screen.

Select SMART SEARCH

Using the remote control and alphabet pad on the screen enter CLEARMY BOX.

CLEARMYBOX will appear in the Keyword bar. Select it.

A sub menu will appear on the left. Select ALL.

The receiver will start the CLEARMYBOX reset.

After the rest is complete your settings and recordings will not be seen. You have to wait a long time for the new menus and guides to be populated. Perhaps hours. I perform this rest be for I go to bed.

Message 25 of 119
Mentor

DIRECT exchanged thd Genie mini, I replaced the HDMI cable with a new "premium" cable cspable of 4K and HDR and is capable of 18 Gbps. Also took the digital optical audio oOU from the Genie mini and took it frim the audio out on my TV so only HDMI from the Genie to the TV. Nothing has helped any so far. I can unplug and reply the HDMI cable and the problrm goes awsy. But it returns the next time I power up my system. Somebody needs to be working some overtime at DirecTV to figure this problem out. Hasn' always bern this way. I have the exact same setup I'e always had before this problem. The only thing different? DirecTV updates. And only after I switched to the Genie 4K.

Message 26 of 119
ACE - Expert

Does the TV have the latest software?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 119
Contributor

I called 5 times and spoke with someone in the Philippines. Every single person there wanted me to go through the SAME troubleshooting steps (which none resolved the issue) and asked the same questions. They asked if my TV had the latest updates, it's not a TV issue. They also asked about replacing the HDMI cables with new ones or changing the HDMI cables to another port, it's not a HDMI cable/port issue. They suggested using component cables, which I refuse to use or buy since my upstairs receiver is not getting this annoying message. Finally after threatening to cancel my service, I got transferred to an operator here in the United States who told me that the message I was receiving on my TV was due to a receiver software update that caused this issue. According to her, it was detected around December 6th 2017 and their engineers have been working to resolve the issue since. I asked for a new receiver and she told me there was a 50/50 chance that when the receiver updated, it might get affected too since the software updated hasn't been resolved. I was promised a credit as soon as the problem is resolved so I ended up keeping the receiver.She recommended turning the receiver on and off twice in the meantime, which actually does take the message away. Hope this helps.  

Message 28 of 119
Contributor

If you update your tv or surround sound (if it is running through one) that will fix the issue.  if you can't update them being they are an older model you will need to use the component cables 

Message 29 of 119
Mentor

TV was pur chased in June 2017 LG 4K. Genie mini 4K also installed in June 2017. Dedicated HDMI from Genie mini to LG TV. Changed both the Genie mini and the HDMI cable to no avail.
Message 30 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support