Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

Teacher

Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." component cables Message

I am constantly getting the following message on my TV: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I do not have plugins on my receiver for component cables. This message started popping up about 3 months ago and has become much more frequent. I am thinking the receiver is faulty.

Spoiler

Message 1 of 119
ACE - Expert

Re: Constantly Getting "Your TV Does Not Support . . ." Message

What model DVR/Receiver?

Have you tried a new HDMI cable?

Is the DVR/Receiver connected directly to your HDTV?  Or through an AV Receiver or Soundbar?

Does your HDTV have its latest firmware updates?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 119
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.

Receiver model is C41-500.

Switched to a new HDMI cable about a month ago.

Direct connection from the receiver to the TV.

I have not checked for firmware updates. Will do so when I figure out how.

It seems that a hard restart helps to extend times between those annoying messages. It seems they are mostly occurring in the morning- strange as it may seem.
Message 3 of 119
Associated Member
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ncoulston
‎02-26-2017 5:04 AM

Try resetting the TV itself by unplugging the power cord for 30 sec and plugging it back in. Sometimes it's just a "handshake" issue between the receiver and the tv. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 119
Teacher

Thank you! Finally resolved. I reset the TV and also switched the HDMI cable (again). 

Message 5 of 119
Tutor

I have the same problem. I called Directv and was told that I need a 2.0 or 2.2 cable with protection. I would like to know if this will solve the problem and has anyone else done this?

Message 6 of 119
Contributor

This solution worked for me as well!

Message 7 of 119
Contributor

I reset everything by turning off the surge protector for 30 seconds or so and switched the HDMI cable (Apple TV and Directv box)... turned surge protector on  ... problem solved.  I have a Vizio sound bar which I must reset from time to time ... might be an issue inherent in this brand.  Hope this helps!

Message 8 of 119
Contributor

How about changing the messaging on the screen?  The tech on phone support has never heard of this and believes the receiver is faulty.  Come on, get it together!!

Message 9 of 119
Teacher

WRONG!!! HDMI cable was bad. Thanks for not resolving the issue.
Message 10 of 119
Teacher

If this fix doesn’t solve the problem permanently, call tech support and ask them to ship you a component cable with a ten pin connector.

Message 11 of 119
Scholar

Just unplugging the television and Mini-Genie only makes it go away for a couple of days.  Tried updating the television's firmware and software.  Need to have DirecTV force a software reload from their side AFTER rebooting the television and Mini-Genie.  Never had this problem before the software upgrade.  It only occurs on one of my five 4K televisions with brand new equipment.. (?@#$%^)  They tell me that there are known problems with the new Mini-Genie and Genie 2 which could be causing the problem.  Wonder if the fully tested the new equipment with the new software.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!  Give us our old, reliable software back!!!!!

Message 12 of 119
Scholar

Downgrading from HDMI cables to component cables doesn't solve the software problem.  It just skirts around it.  I had one technician try to tell me that it was impossible for my HDMI cable to have worked before.  Garbage!  It's a DirecTV software and equipment compatibility problem.  The list of HDCP 2.2 compatible televisions DirecTV is getting from Intel is incomplete/erroneous.  I have a 2016 4K Samsung that IS compatible, but keep getting this error.  Never had the problem before my "upgrade."

Message 13 of 119
Scholar

This is a DirecTV problem, nobody else's.  Lots of excuses and shifting the blame.  This problem only started after upgrading equipment and software download.  All four of the other Samsung 4K tv's and Mini-Genies work fine.  Replaced the HDMI cable, unplugged the tv and Mini-Genie, and had DirecTV force reload.  Holding my  breathe.  Next step:  Have them come out and replace the Mini-Genie.

Message 14 of 119
Scholar

jazzyjames:  Sadly, many of the newer TVs no longer have sockets for component cables, and we are stuck with HDMI sockets.

Message 15 of 119
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support