Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Connecting my mini-Genie to my surround sound system.

Highlighted
Teacher

Connecting my mini-Genie to my surround sound system.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help out with this. I recently upgraded my old HR24-500 to a mini-Genie. All is good except for connecting it to my Samsung surround sound system. I currently have it hooked up from the A/V Output (mini-Genie) to the two-prong audio input on the Samsung, but I am not able to enjoy the surround sound (4 speaker + sub-woofer) that I was able to get with the HR24-500 connection. That box allowed a Digital Audio Cable connection as output. The min-Genie has what is labeled a Digital Audio output, a USB, and the A/V output port, which I am using now for the two-speaker solution.

The problem I'm facing is that the cable "converters" that I am finding on the web use different terminology that doesn't necessarily match what is on the mini-Genie, and I have no user manual for the box. 

Does anyone know if I use a "Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable" if it will work? Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T8HWV62/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37DBL0T1RR4UZ&colid=3U9K7EG5PX0IM.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. I hate to order something and not have it work. I'm concerned the plug won't fit in the mini-Genie. I can't find this in any store, so i need to rely on the web.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master

Re: Connecting my mini-Genie to my surround sound system.

most people have a system that uses hdmi in then out to the tv

if your system has toslink in you can use this

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-Toslink-Optical-Converter/dp/B001622FL8

to conver the digital output into a 5.1 surround sound

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by robgreg
‎07-10-2017 8:16 AM

Thanks. I do  use the HDMI connection to the television. And that made me think that I can use the Digital Audio connection from the TV to my Samsung, rather than directly from the mini-Genie.

That works, so thanks for triggering my brain to go in a different direction.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

glad it worked. 

not all tvs output 5.1, just as an fyi

i gather that your sound system does not have hdmi in or out hence the work around

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support