Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Connect the DIRECTV App to your TV

Community Support

Connect the DIRECTV App to your TV

connect app.jpg

one.jpg

Your tablet or phone must be connected to the same WiFi network as your receiver and wireless router. Then, follow these steps:

• Open the DIRECTV app on your mobile device
  • Tap Browse for TV
  • From the main menu, select Receiver in the Receiver Control section. This will bring up a list of receivers that are connected to your home network and are eligible for control.
  • Tap the receiver you want to control. If one or more of your receivers are not listed, this means they are not currently recognized on the network.

two.jpg

chart 2.jpg

three.jpg

If the tablet and HDDVR do not have the same first three sets of numbers, your iPad and HDDVR are NOT on the same network.

Possible causes for this include:

A.If you have two routers in the home – the tablet is connected to one, the HD DVR to the other.

B.Your tablet is connected to a Wi-Fi network not in your home.

C. For added security, some brands of routers treat Wi-Fi as separate from an Ethernet cable connection within the same router. If your HD DVR is connected to the router by Ethernet cable, and the tablet to the router via Wi-Fi, they may not see each other. Check your router manual as you may need to configure your setup.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 25
Tutor

Re: Connect the DIRECTV App to your TV

No there's a problem with my box

Message 16 of 25
Employee

I Stream from my iPad with the app on my iPad through a lightning to HDMI connector to my TV. I do this away from home and I am able to watch the DIRECTV video from the app on my TV where ever I go. It works very well and I do it all the time. android should have a very similar procedure I just don’t know what their connector would be called and if all android tablets have this ability. I do know that almost all iPads do I hope this helps.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 25
ACE - Master

@Scotty2Hottiee wrote:

I Stream from my iPad with the app on my iPad through a lightning to HDMI connector to my TV. I do this away from home and I am able to watch the DIRECTV video from the app on my TV where ever I go. It works very well and I do it all the time. android should have a very similar procedure I just don’t know what their connector would be called and if all android tablets have this ability. I do know that almost all iPads do I hope this helps.

even the lightning adapter does not always work

why it works for some and not others, no one knows

its not designed to work at all

eventually they will plug the hole

dish just did from what i have read

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 25
Contributor

I appreciate the help, but whe I got to the part to look for the receiver, I was at  a lost because I could not find it on my phone fter my phone gave me access to browse for tv. Help?

Deloris

Message 19 of 25
Teacher

The app is useless if you have the newest Genie 2 installed. Why would DIRECTV release a new receiver that's incompatible with the app? The only receiver that the app can connect to is the Genie 2, and it isn't even connected to a TV. This is rediculous. Even though I paid to have the newest equipment installed, I would like to change everything back to the way it was when I was using the HR54. 

Message 20 of 25
Contributor

I cannot connect my direct tv ap to my DVR.  It worked a few months ago and now it won't work at all.  I've reset up my internet on my phone AND on the DVR.  I've reinstalled the ap.  YES, both IP addresses are the same on the ap/phone AND the DVR/TV.  I even manually entered the IP address.  Still says, "WE couldn't connect to your DVR"  Try again.  I try again and get the same thing.  I've tried calling support and keep getting transferred, put on hold and disconnected.  This is the only reason I haven't switched to HULU as it's half the price so if I can't get this working ASAP, then I"m done. PLease help.  SOOOO FRUSTRATED. 

Message 21 of 25
ACE - Expert

As of March 4th the DTV mobile app no longer streams from your DVR, only programs downloaded to it or the few channels work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 25
Contributor

WOW. So, the resolution is that it doesn't work and won't.  Great.  That was the only reason I was not switching to HULU, where I can watch TV for at least half price.  Guess that switch will happen sooner rather than later.  Thanks Direct TV. Smiley Sad I wanted to download my DVR to my phone to watch on the plane.

Message 23 of 25
ACE - Expert

@smlnskibum wrote:

...  Smiley Sad I wanted to download my DVR to my phone to watch on the plane.

The ability to DOWNLOAD recordings to your phone is still there.  It's the feature to STREAM from your Genie DVR that was removed. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 24 of 25
Contributor

Ok, then how do I get it to work? It won't connect to the DVR to do
ANYTHING and customer support couldn't help me.
Message 25 of 25
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support