Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cannot detect SWM

Contributor

Cannot detect SWM

I received a 775 error code and tech came out an installed a HR54-500 Genie.  He said I no longer needed the SWiM andsplitter in the line.  The Genie has a Wireless Mini and r3gular Mini and Wireless Video Bridge.  After working for several hours, Directv tried to send an update and I again got the 775 Error code. Called and they sent me a new Genie HR54-500.  When I tried to set it up, the Satellite Dish Setup is telling me it cannot detect SWM.  Help.  Tech support cannot help and they will not send anyone out until April 8.  Not sure why I pay the monthly protection fee, when I cannot get any service.  Will be out of service over 2 weeks.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Cannot detect SWM

This is probably just a siimple connection issue. First, the thing you call an SWM is actually a Power Inserter that supplies power to the dish. The HR54 has its own PI so the tech was correct you don't need a separate PI. But you do need the HR54 to be connected to the power passng port of your splitter (usually marked in red) otherwse there is no power to the dish and you will get a 775.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

This situation was not handled properly. Regardless if you have the protection plan or not, DirecTV has a 90 day worry free guarantee of work done. So within that time if it is confirmed a tech must be sent out, then there should not be a service call charge even if you don't have the protection plan. Though not impossible the box was the problem, as this happened several hours after install highly suggests an issue with the install itself.

Unfortunately sounds like April 8 is the soonest there is a tech available. They cannot cancel somebody else's appointment to give yours priority. However what they normally do is credit the time without service from when you called in about the problem to the day of the appointment where it is fixed. You may have to call after the appointment, because if it gets rescheduled, such as you luck out with an earlier appointment or your plans change for that day, they can make sure it is credited for the full time (no more, no less). When you log into your account at www.directv.com you can even look up the order and see about rescheduling it there if an open slot turns up.

Equipment Protection Plan is optional. Without it service calls are $99, replacement remotes $15 (usually cheaper through authorized retailers such as Amazon), and delivery of boxes $19.95. Though still covered within the 90 days of course. Personally I find the one-time costs over the years to be cheaper in the long run. But some people prefer a set small amount on the monthly bill that is budgeted in, even if it costs more over time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I do not have a splitter in the house. The tech took that off the line. The only splitter I have is in the box on the outside of the house where the line from under the ground from the dish is then connected through a splitter to the two lines that come into the house.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

You still need the SWM splitter and yes the HR54  has the power inserter built in but you have to make sure the the HR54 coax is connected to the red power pass through port on the SWM splitter.

Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

One of the lines into the house must be the power passing port. This one needs to be conne cted to the HR54.

But if this is a recent install, get Directv back to do it properly.  sounds to me that the spltter config is wrong

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

I have tried connecting each one of the coax cables coming into the house to the HR54 but still get the cannot detect SWM warning. Could the splitter in the box on the outside of the house have gone bad? Directv will not come back to the house until April 8 and the tech who came and did the service call on a Tuesday, is not calling me back.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

Pretty much techs only contact is letting you know they are on their way, or an issue came up delaying them or to the point of rescheduling. They don't communicate after that, as it is all handled by dispatch.

Customer care can submit a complaint on the appointment you had, which might get some more attention from the dispatch center to prioritize you for any openings or if a tech supervisor can make an on site check. Though your situation is bad, they are not going to make it worse by dropping somebody else's appointment to get you an earlier one, otherwise that will snowball into a bigger problem.

But regardless if you manage an earlier appointment or not, the service call would be covered (even if you didn't have the protection plan because of 90 day worry free guarantee) and also request a credit for time without service as not a short term (hours or maybe a single day) issue.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support