Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cannot connect to internet

Tutor

Cannot connect to internet

DTV installed in April with no issues. Lately I had exenced repeated "looking for signal" outages. Tech was not able to help me. She said if they continued to reset my receiver. I did that about 3 days ago, and have not been able to connect to the internet since then.

I tried resetting my network connections using bnoth the push button method and also manually entering encryption key, but it will not recognnize my router or connet to my wireless network. The code I get is 86-408. Didn't find anything helpful on that in the Troubleshooting sct. I have receiver HR44/500. One in living room and one in bedroom.

When I run System Test I get code 70-73-79-267. I Reset Defaults on my receiver and ran tests again and tried to connect to the wireless network again, but all comes out the same.

I have tried all I know or am comfortable doing at this point . . . can anyone here shed more light on this? The receiver worked fine with my internet for 2.5 months. Oh the other thing that happened about the same time as this problem began was that i cancelled the free premium channels that came  with my package. Thery were about to become paid services, and I called and cancelled them.

Message 1 of 5
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎07-15-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Cannot connect to internet

Replying to my own post - I decided the only thing I had not tried was to power cycle my router. Did that and my receiver immediately recognized my router.

If you don't know what a power cycle is, simply unplug your router from its power source, wait about 5 minutes, and then plug it back in. Wait for the router  lights to stop blinking.Start the Network Connection at your DTV receiver, push the WPS button on your router, and voila! It should work and be able to find your wireless connection.

Message 2 of 5
Teacher

Thanks for sharing that, but there is an issue if we have to keep doing that (power cycling the modem to get the DVR to recognize it) ... I have an HR44-500 with a Centurylink wireless modem and have repeatedly found the Internet connection dropped.  I am convinced it is not the modem, but a problem with the HR44-500.

Has anyone found a long-lasting solution instead of a short-term fix?  This is so frustrating...

My thanks in advance,

L

Message 3 of 5
Expert

See the answers in your thread

Message 4 of 5
Teacher

Thanks for the info... Now this genie is freezing live shows; twice last night, once this morning.  Had to do a reset each time; two resets this morning to get the box running.  I called DTV again and was told there are lots of problems with this model and was also told it was released too soon.

So, we have been turned over to a 'case manager'...

L

(message duplicated in own thread)

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support