Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can’t use 4K and have DVR connected to internet at the same time.

Can’t use 4K and have DVR connected to internet at the same time.

This is more of a statement for anyone looking for answers like I was a few days ago.  My 4K went out in the middle of a program while watching on 11/9.  I spent the better part of 2 hours, first doing all the self troubleshooting, then on the phone with tech troubleshooting (basically doing the same thing I had already done-resetting devices and such). Don’t even get me started about why there is no tech support beyond what you can do yourself if you can read the steps on their website. Only to end with needing a technician to come out on the first available date of 11/13 to “check my connections”.  Since I was not at all satisfied as service has been fine for months and NOTHING changed, I started messing with my DVR settings. I disconnected internet from the DVR and my son yells from the other room that the 4K box is working.  I left it disconnected until the tech got here only to find out it is apparently a software issue they are now working on.  Should get an update to the receiver when they figure it out, although I don’t know (and tech didn’t know) how customers will know when they can reconnect their DVRs to the internet.  Is there some notification service I am not signed up for to get a notice when they have known issues like this?  It is just a shame that a company as big as AT&T Direct TV can’t set up simple notifications to let people know issues exist instead of wasting EVERYONE’S time waiting on a tech to walk in the door to tell you to disconnect internet from your DVR.  I was his 3rd call today for the exact same issue and he had NO time frame, NO answers other than disconnect internet from DVR and wait for software update.

Message 1 of 43
ACE - Expert

Re: Can’t use 4K and have DVR connected to internet at the same time.

I'm not aware of any "system wide" problem with 4K and internet connections.  

Can you provide more information about exactly what was wrong with the 4K box?  You say it "went out in the middle of a program".  On-screen error?  Symptoms?

Also, how is your main Genie DVR (HR54 or HS17?) connected to your home network for internet access?  Your internet connection shouldn't have anything to do with your 4K Mini Genie box. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 43

While watching tv on my 4K mini (C61K-700) I got the Select Server screen with a message it could not find my server.  I tried several times to reconnect and it shows it can not locate a server.  I went downstairs and checked my 2nd 4k mini box (also a C61K-700) and it had the same screen.  I checked my 2 regular minis (both C61-100) and they were working fine.  After trying again to connect and doing all reset in the order instructed via the troubleshooting website, I called DirectTV.  They again had me do all resets, did a few resets on their end and then scheduled the tech to come to my house. My DVR is a HR54-200 connected with a wireless connection to my internet.  By fluke, I was going to reset the internet connection but when I disconnected the internet from my DVR my son yelled at me that the TV was back on.  I completed wireless internet set up and they were gone again.  I disconnected the DVR from wireless internet again and both 4K boxes started working again.  Since the tech was coming today, I went back to my DVR this morning and set up the wireless internet connection again at which time both 4k boxes went back to the select server screen.  I left it like that so the tech could see my issue.  The tech walked in, asked if I was having issue with my 4K boxes and said it's a software issue that's just started happening over the last couple weeks and we need to disconnect your DVR from the internet.  He did not even get past my foyer before saying so, did not see my error screen or anything.  I asked if there was some update or something that went out as it had been working fine for several months and nothing in my connections had changed. He did not have an answer.  He said I was his 3rd call today for the same thing and that "they" were working on it and should be sending out an update "soon".   He was here for 10-15 minutes tops.

Message 3 of 43
ACE - Expert

I'm puzzled.  Haven't seen any other reports here about this sort of problem with HR54's, WiFi connections, and C61K Genie Clients.

Any chance you can connect your HR54 to your home network router using an ethernet cable instead of WiFi?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 43

It would not be an easy task, but if I get time to bring my DVR downstairs and try to run a line from my router, I will certainly give you an update.  I thought it odd too that the internet would interfere with the 4K boxes.  Especially in the middle of a program after working quite well for several months.  

Message 5 of 43
ACE - Expert

It would be a worthwhile test to rule out a WiFi issue.  Keep us posted. 

Message 6 of 43

I'm having the same exact issue as described by AlmostANutCase.  Any luck in fixing?

I tried tech support last night, but they seemed unaware of any issue and had me go through the same exact steps that I'd already tried 3 times of connecting internet on main server and then seeing error on 4k box.  So after an hour on the phone I disconnected internet and 4k box worked, but without internet access.  I'd like to use the internet in order to access OnDemand, but not sure how to do so.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 43
Highlighted
Teacher

See this thread.   https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-DVR-Receivers/No-Server-Detected/td-p/5329705

A tech spent four hours at my house changing various equipment, only to call in to a service center and be told about the issue.

I have an "escalated claim" They sent an email after a month and said they still were working on the problem, and they would contact me in ANOTHER MONTH! 

How a 200 Billion dollar company can't higher an engineer that can fix this issue is baffling.

You can either disconnect the DVR from your internet service and lose all On Demand content and remote access/scheduling to the DVR.

The other option is to reset/reboot your Wireless router every time the Genie loses service, and turn if off and back on.

I'll be calling for a bill adjustment tomorrow, but not sure if it will do any good.

Message 8 of 43
Contributor

Having the EXACT same problem. Called tech support. They are aware of the issue, but have no idea when they are going to get it fixed. In the beginning, the tech said that if we can’t get the box working, they are NOT sending replacements or tech out to troubleshoot. HA! I told them if we can’t watch DirecTV in the living room, then they can come get their junk and be done.

Finally disconnected the internet and everything magically works. Makes no sense.

Message 9 of 43

I'm having the same issue where my 4k box won't work whenever the DVR box is connected to the internet.  I called in yesterday to complain about this issue, and the best they could do was offer me a $5 one time statement credit.  The girl seemed unaware of a widespread problem, at first saying it was only on my box but then later saying it was a widespread problem that they most likely would look into once they had gotten enough complaints.  She even said that the On Demand content was an add on feature, and not part of the main DirecTv service.  She just said for me to keep calling back in to check on the issue, and then offered the $5 credit.  They had even sent me an offer to watch a free 4k movie, but how am I supposed to watch this if I can't get my 4k box connected to the internet!  The whole thing is pretty ridiculous!

Message 10 of 43
Teacher

Same here. When they installed it the tech couldn’t get the internet and 4K to co exist. He said I couldn’t use internet. I had him leave and connected a DECA unit. Problem solved. 

Directv must have done an update recently (my 4K master box asked me to reboot) after reboot, internet is gone. The 4K is fine but no internet. Haven’t had anyone post this issue yet. Just happened the other day. 

Message 11 of 43
Teacher

Anyone? 

Message 12 of 43

I called in today and had my issue escalated.  He said they are working on a software update.  In the meantime he gave me something to try, which I haven't had a chance to yet.  He told me to turn off the Power Save mode on the DVR box, then connect the Internet, then reset the DVR box.  Also turn off the Power Save mode on the 4k box.  This should fix it he says.  I'll let you know later if this works.

Message 13 of 43
Contributor

Thanks for the post @WantInternet. I am also having the same problems and went through the steps you outlined. Unfortunately, it was unsuccessful for me. I was told today that it should be fixed within 1-3 days, but I'm not holding out much hope. For me, not having internet is a much bigger deal because it removes the ability to use the mobile application to watch programming and/or schedule programs to record. This is something my family does quite a bit. Additionally, it removes the capability to watch VoD and PPV. It also removes the ability to voice search from the mobile application in the home and removes the apps that provide score updates and quick access for channel changes for the latest sporting events.

Message 14 of 43
Contributor

I've had the same problem since at least October.  I didn't realize the internet wasn't connected until It was required for an On Demand show.  The system told me to hook up to the internet which I did and then only the 4K mini box quit working and indicated it had no signal.  The genie box and other mini box worked fine.  That was the first time a service person told me about the software issue.  I keep getting letters from ATT telling me I'm not hooked to the internet and therefore not receiving all the system offers.  Occasionally when the notice on the screen comes up to connect to the internet one of us forgets and hits the connect button.  Immediately after it connects the 4K box no longer works.  Recently I had another issue and inquired about the software problem.  I had asked for a USA service person who was very nice and said he did not know about the 4K box issue but put me through to someone at Corporate who called back and said a service person would not be coming out as this was the software issue.  He did confirm my email and said when an fix was available I would be notified.  I know this issue has been going on and the field service people have known about it since 10/17.  I concure this seems unacceptable for a company as big as ATT/DTV.  Will post if I get a fix email.

Message 15 of 43
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support