Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I set up whole home DVR on my own or do I have to have an installer do it.

Tutor

Can I set up whole home DVR on my own or do I have to have an installer do it.

I have one of the new 3D touch panel HD-DVR receivers.  I would like to have whole home service but when I called about it they said I had to have an installer hook it up for me.  All of my receivers in my home are connected with the SWIM (?) thing.  If I unplug it none of the receivers work.  I have DSL internet also connected to my receiver.  I was able to install my internet on my own w/out someone coming to my home, like they said I needed to do, so I am pretty sure I can do this on my own also.  I just don't know if I need to add anything else.  I also have a wireless N network in my home.  Help is appreciated.  I am not in a position to pay over a hundred dollars which is what I was told having an installer come here would cost me.  

Message 1 of 12
Professor

Re: Can I set up whole home DVR on my own or do I have to have an installer do it.

If your HD DVR and your other receivers are connected with the SWM thing(DirecTV-installed DECA Whole Home DVR network) you CANNOT use the ethernet ports to connect to your router or modem like you did. It will disable the WHDVR network. If you indeed have the DirecTV-installed WHDVR and it was installed recently they should have also installed the Internet Connection kit at the same time. If you just have a SWM installed system and none of the receivers or DVR's are networked or connected for WHDVR the only way you can connect them yourself and get Whole Home activated on your account is to run a cat5e ethernet cable directly from each receiver and DVR ethernet port to your router(wireless connectivity for any of the DirecTV boxes will NOT work for WHDVR). Then email DirecTV and request Whole Home DVR Service to be activated on a self-installed, unsupported home network. DirecTV, as I understand it, is becoming more reluctant to do this(as you may have noticed the specific "unsupported" verbiage). Good luck.

Message 2 of 12
Guru

Re: Can I set up whole home DVR on my own or do I have to have an installer do it.

Unfortunately Directv is is getting towards the thought that the "Unsupported System" will no longer be activated, too many people trying to DIY something and still not getting it right. The OP can purchase all the necessary equipment to have a supported system if they wish, but Directv will still see it as a DIY Unsupported system. If the OP will get the model of the receivers that they have and repost them we can tell him all that they need to get WHDVR to work with there current setup. As djdicetn posted a Ethernet connection to the HR24 will disable the internal DECA and WHDVR will not work with that connection.

Message 3 of 12
Guru

Reading dbstalk people are still getting activated with their home networks.

Message 4 of 12
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by dndallen 

Help is appreciated.

You understand that you need another HD receiver or HD DVR in addition to the DVR you mentioned in order to qualify for the service.  See the schematic attached, it tells you a lot of what you need to know and be advised you must have the components wired as shown and cannot jury rig or add connections.

Whole Home DVR HR24 install[23].jpg
Message 5 of 12
Tutor

Thanks for all of your responses. I have 3 additional HD receivers, so that is not an issue.  I am thinking all I need is the DECA or BB Module.  and the DECA Power Supple.  I have all the other equipment.  I did just go out and look at the splitter that is on my house and it looks slightly different then the one pictured above.  I have the four that go out and the one that comes in from the dish but I don't see any place that I can put in the DECA Module.  From this picture it looks like it is to be connected on the outside of the house.  This is what I get for trying to save money and get what I want at the same time!

Message 6 of 12
Guru

Just in case since you mentioned that you looked at the SWM splitter did you happen to see if it has a green label on it? If not that is a major requirement for the WHDVR setup. Also the SWM power supply will need to be reconfigured if the HD/DVR's cable runs through the power supply. There is allot needed to get a flawless setup on the SWM/DECA system. The HD receiver that you have what model's are they? If they are the new 24 series then you will not need anything extra for them, but if they are not then they will also need external DECA receivers so that they can communicate through the DECA network. The upgrade cost may seem like to much, but it is well worth it when you don't have to do all the work.

Message 7 of 12
Tutor

I have the HR24 that has the DECA built into it.  Which I guess is the main reason why I feel I should be able to do this myself.  As I had said before they told me that I couldn't hook up my internet but I was able to do that just fine.  As for the splitter outside, it does not have a green label.  I have lived in this house for 2 years and whatever was being used at that time is the splitter that is on my house.   I have attached a picture of the splitter I have.  

0524182839.jpg
Message 8 of 12
Expert

that splitter is no good for WHDVR, it must be replaced with a "green label" version.  what are the 3 HD receivers model numbers?  you might need 3 white DECA's and a BB DECA for the interent conenction.  and you might also need a BSF filter (not pictured) if you dont have a green label SWM LNB

BB DECA Jumper[13].jpg
DECA Adapter[16].jpg
SWM Splitter 4 way5[2].jpg
DIRECTVDECABB1R0[11].jpg
Message 9 of 12
Guru

I would assure you that you should have Directv out to update your SWM system. WHDVR will not work with the system that you currently have. As a side note it will be allot less expensive to have Directv out to update the system then it is to DIY it. The BSF the Peds is talking about for the non-green labled SWM LNB works, but it is nice to have a new updated LNB (one less thing in the system to go out).

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

Gahh!  This is all so frustrating.  I give up!  Thanks all for answering me about stuff.  Greatly appreciate it.

Message 11 of 12
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by dndallen 

Gahh!  This is all so frustrating.

It's only frustrating because you don't want to pay the going price for a particular feature.  It's akin to wanting a nice new home on the cheap and being frustrated when you discover all the permits you'll need to obtain.

Look, the Whole Home DVR is a new system that is very precise in it's requirements.  Many existing installations are not suited (including mine and some of the other TechKnow Guide's) and need considerable updating.  The price Directv charges is in keeping with their single price per service policy.  Some folks need lot's of changes and some need just a few.  In general, DIY for Whole Home DVR is not a good idea, particularly if one has to ask, how do I do it.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support