Can I control my DVR online ??

Contributor

Can I control my DVR online ??

I see the next newest similar post is two years old.  I have the Genie HD DVR model HR34-700 'whole home' with the add-on wifi Internet access box.  I can remotely tell a program (or series) to record, but I have no ability to manage it at all.  I can't delete recorded programs, I can't manage how a program is recorded, how many it keeps or ANYTHING.  Both my old Dish and Comcast allowed this functionality BEFORE I switched to DirecTV and as I travel sometimes for months on end it gets very frustrating.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Message 1 of 11 (1,012 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Can I control my DVR online ??

You can't do any of those things with the DirecTV remote app.  Managing recordings (deleting, etc) must be done locally from the DVR itself. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11 (65 Views)
Tutor

This is kind of a huge miss. How can you claim the Genie is the most advanced DVR today if it doesn't provide such basic features as online DVR control that I have had for the last 8 years with Dish? Or a PiP on/off toggle button/command (another massive miss that I had with Dish).

Message 3 of 11 (65 Views)
Employee

Make sure to let DirecTV know as they wont see it here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 11 (65 Views)
Tutor

How do I do that? By calling and complaining?

Message 5 of 11 (65 Views)
ACE - Expert

Yes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11 (65 Views)
Tutor

Message 7 of 11 (65 Views)
Expert

I have a question.  If you found Dish to be so superior, why are you with Directv?  Is it possible that you are only picking out a few specific features that you liked Dish better? 

Message 8 of 11 (65 Views)
Tutor

To be fair, I didn't know about these issues with their equipment when I ordered. I suppose I could have researched this, but the failings for the most part are features I would consider table-stakes.

I switched mostly because of price. I got in on what I feel is a good deal offered through Costco. The ability to get the Sunday ticket (and that it is thrown in the first year) is a plus as well, although not a deal-breaker.

And it is true, these are the differences between the service that I am picking out and to be fair DirecTV has some advantages (search, the equipment seems a bit faster and is substantially smaller/lighter, larger storage, NFL ST).

I don't know that I will stay, or I may just ride out the deal for 2 years and then flip back to Dish. I will have to revisit that when the time comes. However, it never hurts to voice your issues. The worst that can happen is they are ignored, which would be a good indicator of what DirecTV thinks of me as a customer. Best case the feedback is used to improve the experience for everyone.

Message 9 of 11 (65 Views)
Professor

There could be software copyrights or patents rights preventing DTV from adding these to their products.

Message 10 of 11 (65 Views)
Teacher

I used to use a SlingBox with my older DirecTV DVR.  When I switched to the Genie Whole Home system, the mini-Genie in the room where my router is wasn't compatible (I had a non-HD SlingBox).  So I got the GenieGo to replace the functionality.  While it allows me to stream my recorded programs, like you, I was disappointed that I couldn't perform any of the other DVR functions, like deleting programs, etc.  I keep hoping they'll add that into the GenieGo app.  I should really move the DVR to the other room and get an HD SlingBox so I could get back to where I was before I upgraded...  I do like the GenieGo capability of downloading to my laptop so I can take my shows with me where there is no Internet.

Message 11 of 11 (65 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support