Explore & discover

Helpful Links

C61K signal does not get upscaled by AVR but all other devices do

Teacher

C61K signal does not get upscaled by AVR but all other devices do

I have a Denon AVR-X3400H that upscales analog and hdmi inputs to 2160p (4K). The C61K signal simply gets passed through so if ABC is 720p and CBS is 1080i, that's what is sent to the TV by the AVR.  I set my 4K BD player to output 720p to the AVR and it upscaled it to 2160p.  I switched the output of the DVD player and C61K as inputs to the AVR so the C61K was input to the hdmi labeled SAT/CBL on the AVR - same behavior.  I brought my HR54 that was connected to a non-4K TV to the 4K TV/AVR and the AVR upscaled the signal from the HR54 to 2160p.  If I tune to the DTV 4K channel, the AVR passes that through to the TV from the C61K.  So the C61K knows the TV is 4K UHD capable. Is there a setting I am missing?  Is the C61K defective?  I called Denon support and since the DVD player and HR54 signals get upscaled by the AVR, of course, they say it's a DTV/C61K issue.  I'd have to agree - something about the signal coming from the C61K is telling the AVR to simply pass the signal through instead of upscaling it.

I've hit the red reset button, pulled the power plug, checked the coax connectors.  During Denon troubleshooting, reset AVR to factory defaults and set definitions from scratch again.

Message 1 of 3
Teacher

Re: C61K signal does not get upscaled by AVR but all other devices do

Oops, correction for this sentence - I switched the output of the DVD player and C61K as inputs to the AVR so the C61K was input to the hdmi labeled "SAT/CBL" (this should be Blue Ray) on the AVR - same behavior.

Message 2 of 3
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by SDHacker
‎10-19-2018 12:26 PM

Re: C61K signal does not get upscaled by AVR but all other devices do

I found the solution on another forum:

"So, I purchased a splitter that has Edid presets and tried it and that worked. Just set it splitter Edid at 1080P or 4k and the receiver will up scale 1080i or 720P. I later talked to Denon and surprised someone actually called on the phone. In the end they said it was the C61K Edid not putting something the Denon wanted. In other words its Directv's fault and that was the end of it. I did see one post on AVS that had problems when they added a DVDO mini and things stopped working together. It ended with the same results with DVDO saying the C61K wasn't doing something right."

I need to buy a 4K UHD capable splitter that has preset EDID definitions to correct a fault with the C61K.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support