Explore & discover

Helpful Links

C41 Mini takes 20 to 45 seconds before it displays picture after turning on

Teacher

C41 Mini takes 20 to 45 seconds before it displays picture after turning on

I have my C41 connected to my OLED55C7 and have an HR44 in our system.  Recently we noticed that when we turn on the TV and the C41 Mini, it takes about 20 seconds before the picture appears.  The picture used to come up within 5 seconds after turning on.  Any idea what is going and how to fix?  During this 20 seconds we saw the Connecting screen flash for a second and then the screen remained black for about that 20 seconds and the picture shows up. I have tried rebooting the mini, resetting the Mini completely to default settings, rebooting the HR44 and none of these had any effect on this new issue.  In fact, after rebooting the HR44 (red button press where access card is located), it now takes about 45 seconds for the picture to show up.  What is going on and how do I fix this issue?????

DirecTV since 1997

Message 1 of 12
Teacher

Re: C41 Mini takes 20 to 45 seconds before it displays picture after turning on

Just a follow up on this issue. I have narrowed it down to the problem lying with the DirecTV C-41 and suspect it's a software issue or how the C-41 is communicating with the HR44, which would be a software related issue as well. I concluded this by pulling my HR44 and dropped it in place where the C-41 is located, connected it to the LG OLED C7 and upon turning on the HR44, the picture appears instantaneously...like 1-2 seconds. Tested it multiple times from off position of both TV and HR44.  Hopefully DirecTV issues a software fix but I'm not holding my breath these days, so now to work on a self fix. It may be time to pull the trigger on a HR54 and C-61K, and hope that combo works better. Or, maybe leave the HR44 connected to the LG OLED but the problem is no ethernet connection where that is located and how to get the whole home system connected to internet.
Message 2 of 12
Teacher

@ATTDIRECTVCare

@ATTCares

ATT please notice and fix this issue.  This is a software induced problem that occurs between the genie minis and LG 4 K televisions.  I have the LG OLEDC7.  In addition to this issue occurring with the C41, I added a C61-K and the delayed picture problem remains.  As noted above, if I move the HR44 to connect directly to the LG 4K TV, the delay disappears.  Not sure if changing out the HR44 with a HR54 to act as the server would help but assume the issue will remain with the client minis given it occurred after software update a couple weeks ago.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried to reset your main Genie to fix this trouble by pressing red button on it?

Message 4 of 12
Teacher

^^^^ Thanks.  Have tried red button resets many times on the HR44 and the C41 and the C61K with no success in resolving the problem.

Message 5 of 12
Contributor

This problem also not only exists on my Sony TV, but I do home automation for a living and we have seen it in numerous homes on the minis.  A software issue is obviously the problem, which needs to be addressed

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

If you have the HR44, you should not have a C61K. The 'K' model is only for 4K service which requires the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) or their Genie-2 (HS17) system. Not sure if that might cause some small conflicts as they weren't intended for each other.

I would consider for your next upgrade to replace C41 with a full HDDVR. This gains independent processing power and 2 tuners of its own so does not rely on the Genie to work, but still shares recordings (has 500GB space itself). No monthly cost difference between Mini Genie Client and HDDVR. Also if it matters HDDVRs keep the classic GUI while HR44 and up (and their Clients) receive the new GUI.

As for the C61K, if you want the 2 channels that are in 4K then you would need the HR54. Normally a upgrade to the 4K Client C61K would swap your Genie from the 44 to the 54, so don't know how you got the 4K Client but not the compatible Genie. Warranty replacement of Genie would get either HR44 or HR54 depending on what is in stock. Though if you got an official Directv upgrade for the C61K, but the tech didn't swap out the Genie as required, then Directv may be able to take care of that. Be aware that like other DVRs, the recordings on the Genie will not copy to a replacement.

My personal setup after all options tried out is Genie (HR44) and 2 HDDVRs (both HR24 now). No tuner conflicts, plenty of recording space to go around, and they each work independently instead of slowing one box that they cannot work without. Since no difference in monthly cost this is the setup I highly recommend as Clients are only good to start out with, not for the long run.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 12
Contributor

Well I do have a HR54/700 with 4 C41W-500s and I have this slow boot issue only on the mini’s. Just not sure why I can see the DirecTv splash screen and then 30 good seconds before a picture finally comes on. 

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

@MardieB wrote:

Well I do have a HR54/700 with 4 C41W-500s and I have this slow boot issue only on the mini’s. Just not sure why I can see the DirecTv splash screen and then 30 good seconds before a picture finally comes on. 

Few concerns here, but perhaps a simple method to speed things up for a while.

Red button reset the HR54, then the wireless video bridge (WVB), and finally the Clients (C41W). Make sure that reset on one is complete before moving to next in the chain. This is because the Genie controls the system, and the WVB runs the communication from the main box to the wireless Mini Genie Clients. Shouldn't have to do this often, but every electronic device needs this at some point.

HR54 is the 3rd generation Genie. Like the HR44 it is the top of the line, nothing better (do not be fooled by the Genie-2 HS17). Can support the 4K Client (C61K, wired only) if preferred.

All Clients rely on the main Genie to work, including most of the processing so they have to wait on the communication.

Genie can pair with up to 8 clients, but can only use up to 3 at once as 2 tuners are locked to the Genie (partly because of the PiP feature). 4 Clients stretches it thin.

It is highly recommended when you have your next free upgrade to at least replace 1 Client with a regular HDDVR. This will gain independent processing power taking some load off the Genie including 2 tuners of its own, 500GB hard drive so more recording space (and unlike Clients can hide playlist between Genie and HDDVR or just prevent one from deleting the other's recordings), if the Genie goes down all Clients go down with it but HDDVR still works as is a full receiver (not a Client), would allow all TVs to be in use at the same time if ever desired, and there is no difference in monthly cost as still same number of TVs connected. Would be wired in as normal as there is no wireless receiver, just Client (C41W, and recently seen C61W which unknown if launched or beta testing). If not a free upgrade, or additional boxes on top of the free one, HDDVRs are one-time lease $199 each.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 12
Teacher

Have done tons of troubleshooting and am still convinced this is a software problem introduced by the recent (last month or so) software from DirecTV.  Never had this issue before with my equipment.  Started after the software update.  DirecTV has replaced the C41 with another C41, replaced the HR44 with HR54 and replaced the C41 with a C61-K.  I have tried different HDMI cables - all premium certified.  Put in temporary RG6 cable drops to determine if existing coax is introducing issue.  None of these had any change on fixing the delayed picture occurring only on the minis.   Hopefully, the DirecTV engineers pay attention to these threads and fix the problem accidentally introduced in the new software. 

Message 10 of 12
Tutor

I started to experience  slow startup (40 second delay) on my 2 Genie Minis after a January 2018 software update to my Genie HR44. In May the next software update set the delay down to 20 seconds. Called Directv support and got the standard reply "never heard of this before or Will submit to engineering". After some research I have come to the conclusion that the current hardware does not have enough speed to properly support the current software. Why do you suppose Directtv doesn't just tell customers and support this?  Not the worst problem but customers are wasting time and service calls to try to fix a problem that appears not to be correctable.

Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

The new interface is needing fine tuning to make it as efficient as possible.

I have the HR44, but do not experience start up delays on my other TVs. This is because they have HDDVRs instead of Mini Genie Clients. So they have their own processing power, instead of requiring the Genie to process everything and send it to them. As there is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR, I highly encourage to use your next free upgrade to swap one to an HDDVR (while they are still available).

So the Genie hardware can run the interface just fine itself, but the additional load from the Clients starts to push the capability. Hopefully further software coding will clean this up, but as mentioned I believe HDDVRs instead of Clients to be the best long term solution for several reasons.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support