Explore & discover

Helpful Links

C-31 Genie client has No Audio on certain channels

Teacher

C-31 Genie client has No Audio on certain channels

Hello.  

I've just noticed a problem with one of my two C31-700 Genie Client boxes.  My system consists of an HR-34 Genie and two C31-700 clients.   The problem exists only on one specific client.

Admittedly, this problem doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'll try to describe it the best I can.   On this one particular client (and only this one),  a number of channels are coming through with beautiful HD pictures, but no audio.  Many of the stations on which this is happening happen to be local, but there are a few others regionals in the 200 and 600 range that are also experiencing the problem. All of the affected channels happen to be HD.   Most of the channels however, come through fine with picture and audio.  Here's what makes it rather confusing:

*  The loss of audio exists only on this one particular Genie client.  The HR-34 and the other C-31 client have perfect audio on all of the channels all of the time.

*  I ran a satellite signal test and all satellites are showing in the mid 90's to 100, with only one result showing 89. 

*  As noted above, the loss of audio is only on certain channels. Most are fine.  I believe they're mostly local and regional, but I'm not certain of that whereas I have the Premier package and the HD Extra pack, so I haven't tried every channel.  In all cases, the pictures are crystal clear.  Most of my premium HD channels are coming through fine, with audio.

*  Switching to another channel and back again doesn't help.  However (and this is the strange part) .. If I'm on a channel without audio and I press the red reset button on the Genie client, when the system has  rebooted, I now have audio on that channel and the audio remains as long as I stay on that channel.   BUT .. If I then try to switch to any other channel and then switch back, I've once again lost audio on that channel and only another reset will bring it back.

*  I've tried resetting the HR-34, but that made no difference.  Besides, the other client box isn't experiencing the audio problem so I don't believe the problems in the master unit.

*  I thought about the possibility that it may have something to do with the HDMI connection between the client box and the TV set (or in the TV's audio system) but whereas the problem occurs only on certain channels and fixes itself after a reset, I've sort of ruled that possibility out too. 

Any thoughts, Anyone?

Thanks.

- Tom

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: C-31 Genie client has No Audio on certain channels

In that Genie Mini's Audio Setup menu, try disabling "Dolby Digital" audio. 

If that doesn't help, then post back with more details about how that Mini's audio OUT is connected to your HDTV.  Or is it connected to AV Surround Receiver or SoundBar?  How?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Teacher

Thanks litzdog911.   After posting the original message, I decided to try a couple more things.  One thing I tried was swapping the Genie client boxes and to my surprise, the client that had been working in the other room was no longer working and the one that was experiencing the audio problems was now working.    I did try the Dolby Digital audio setting in both the on and off positions, but that made no difference.   However, your post also got me thinking about something else ... that in that particular room, the Genie client feeds an AV Sound Receiver  (Yamaha  RX-A3030).  It's HDMI out of the C31 into the receiver (which has video pass through) and then from the receiver to the TV set. So, I tried bypassing the receiver altogether and went directly from the C31 into the TV.   Audio was now restored!   Of course, it was poor audio because it didn't have the benefit of the surround sound speakers, but it proved that the issue has something to with the receiver.    I've further since discovered that it appears to be something to do with the HDMI handshake between the C31 client and the receiver.  If I reset the C31, audio is restored until I change channels.  If I power off and on the receiver, audio is also restored until I change channels.  If I simply switch the input on the receiver (lets say from DirecTV to Blu-Ray and back to DirecTV)  the audio is also restored until I change channels.  So it seems that whenever I change channels on the C31, the HDMI connection between the two is somehow disturbed and I lose audio.  Only forcing the HDMI connection to be reestablished (which of course will happen if I recycle either of the boxes or change inputs) seems to bring the audio back.

That still doesn't explain why it's only happening on certain channels, and why it started all of a sudden. (It's  been the same connection for nearly two years now.)  Also, my Blu-ray player which also feeds the receiver is *not* experiencing any audio problems.

So now I have two more tests to run.  I'm going to try a different HDMI cable and I'm also going to switch the Genie client to a different HDMI input on the receiver.   I'll post back once I've had an opportunity to do that, but in the meantime, if you or anyone has encountered such a problem before, any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

- Tom

Message 3 of 21
Employee

it could be that the AVR is not handling properly the switch off from PCM to DD5.1

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 21
ACE - Expert

This is an all-too-common issue with some AV Surround Receivers.  You should also check the AV Receiver Forum at http://www.avsforum.com.  Find the thread for your Receiver model and the experts there may be able to help with proper settings.  And check that your AVR has the latest software.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 21
Teacher

Thanks Peds.

Well, the situation thickens. I've tried running the HDMI cable into other inputs on the AVR and the problem persists.  I've even tried swapping the HDMI cable itself ... no luck.     However, just in the past 24 to 48 hours, it seems the problem has worsened.  I now lose audio when switching from *any* DirecTV channel to any other channel.  Even as recently as last night, I was able to switch to any one of the many movie channels and get audio.  (Well, I *think* I was, my memory is all foggy.)  Now, even switching between (for instance) HBO and Showtime, I lose audio.  I've also now discovered that by going into my Genie client settings and toggling the Dolby Digital setting (it doesn't matter whether it's Off to ON or On to Off), the audio comes back.  Finally, once I do establish audio again, even if I don't change channels, the audio eventually cuts out by itself after some period of time ( about an hour in one case).  Again, toggling the Dolby Digital setting, or toggling inputs on my receiver or power-cycling either of the boxes will bring the audio back ... at least for a while.

So I have a question for you Peds.  I'm not an expert at any of this but could your theory of the AVR not handling a "switch from PCM to DD5.1" still apply if I haven't even changed the channel ... or if I change between two channels that are using the same audio format?

The AVR is just a little over a year old and only in the past few days have I experienced this problem.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 21
Teacher

Thanks again, litzdog911.  I just saw your reply as I was responding to peds.   I'll give the AVS Forum a try and see what comes up.  Strange that this all just started, but I guess strange things happen.

Message 7 of 21
Employee

My theory does not apply if you are not changing audio formats

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 21
Mentor

try contacting the manufacturer of the Audio receiver... this is now out of the expertise of DIRECTV.

Message 9 of 21
Employee

this is now out of the expertise of DIRECTV.

and exactly the same reason why customers come to these forums, to get help when they can't from DirecTV® CSRs

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 21

Just read through the issues posted by ttnh.  My receiver is a Yamaha CX-A5000 and I have a Genie C41-100.  When I change channels I also lose sound.  Like ttnh, this problem just started happening about 7 days ago.

I only get the sound back when I switch sources on the receiver from blue ray or Apple TV back to directv.  Similar to ttnh, I tried new HDMI cables, I tried different ports on he receiver, but nothing worked as I always lose volume when I change channels.  I hooked the genie directly to the TV and it worked fine, so thought process is it must be the Yamaha.

However, I hooked up an older, non-genie Directv box model number H25-100 to the same Yamaha receiver using the same cables.  When I change channels, I never lose sound using the old directv box. 

i did upgrade the firmeware on the Yamaha last night, but this did not resolve the matter.

Now I am back to my original thought, that the software on the Genie box must have been recently upgraded by Directv which has made it incompatible with the Yamaha receivers.

Looking for ideas to help resolve this issue.

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Expert

It could very well be a change made to the HDMI handshake software on the DirecTV side since it worked before the latest update.   Unfortunately the HDMI "standard" is like that.  It's not very robust, so it's all-too-common for certain devices to behave badly together, like your DirecTV Receiver and AVR.  

Message 12 of 21

Directv has to have changed something recently in their software in the Genie as I have the EXACT issues that you describe with the same brand receiver but different model.  These issues started happening amount 1 week ago.  All the fixes you mentioned to restore sound worked as well.  Like you, I lose sound as soon as I change channels.  Up until tonight, I never lost sound watching the same channel, but now I am. 

Message 13 of 21
Teacher

Hmm.  Beginning to sound more and more like a software issue. I've now tried 2 Genie client boxes, 3 different HDMI cables and 4 different AVR inputs.   I even tried a factory reset of the Yamaha.  Nothing has helped.  Per one of the suggestions above, I've posted over in the AVS forum.   A few suggestions (such as the AVR reset) haven't helped so I'm waiting to see if they have any other ideas.  However, if it turns out to be due to a Genie software update, then I suspect there's little we'll be able to do about. I'll post  here if I learn anything new over in the AVS forum.

- Tom

Message 14 of 21

I do have a call into the 2nd level technical support team at Yamaha.  I called their support line last night which basically just logged the issue.  The tech rep I spoke with supposedly escalated the issue to their next tier of support.  They should call me call me over the next 2 business days to discuss in more detail.  Will post back what they say.

In the meantime, I hooked up an older Genie box from a set not watched that often into my Yamaha receiver. The older, non-Genie, box works great with no loss of sound.  Downside is I lost ability to pause and rewind.  Feels like watching TV "old school" style.

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support